Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a couple of questions, can someone give some insight? First I am not sure of my model. I know its a 2007 EXP but I am not sure of the AT, MT, or 6MT? Second we just had our first snow storm with this element and when I hit a road with a snowy surface coming off a clear road the element makes a wierd sound, slides a little and this triange with exclamation point comes on the dashboard. It is having trouble getting traction it seems. This never happen with my last element. Isn't all wheel drive suppost to prevent this type of occurance?

·
Registered
694 Posts
AT,MT,6T is for automatic transmission, manual or 6 speed.
did your old element have ABS ( anti-lock) brakes. My 03 does not.
This is so you don't have to pump the brakes if you start to slip, the car does it faster than you can.

Not sure about the triangle. The Owners manual may call this out, possible
VSA system (Vehicle Stability Assist).

·
Registered
616 Posts
In regards to your transmission. I have a feeling if you have an MT you would know!

I haven't a clue myself but found this on Wiki answers. I have never owned a car with VSA.

The yellow exclamation point means that the vehicle stability assisty system (VSA) was activated. The stability assist system uses a combination of applying the brakes and a reduction of engine power to restore stability on turns or when the vehicle is swerving such as you would have under your wet road conditions. It felt like the gas pedal wouldn't respond because the VSA system had taken over partial control of the engine and brakes to restore control to the vehicle. From your description, it sounds like the system is operating as it should and that there should be no reason for you to take it in to have anything checked out. Heres the information from the 2007 C-RV owner's manual on how the system works:The vehicle stability assist (VSA) system helps to stabilize the vehicle during cornering if the vehicle turns more or less than desired. It also assists you in maintaining tractionwhile accelerating on loose or slippery road surfaces. It does this by regulating the engine’s output and by selectively applying the brakes.When VSA activates, you may notice that the engine does not respond to the accelerator in the same way it does at other times. There may also be some unusual noise from themodulator. You will also see the VSA activation indicator blink.The VSA system cannot enhance the vehicle’s driving stability in all situations and does not control your vehicle’s entire braking system. It is still your responsibility to drive andcorner at reasonable speeds and to leave a sufficient margin of safety

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I do not have a owners manual to look things up at this time. As far as the VSA I have a button for that it is not on all the time. I have asked when to push it on from others and they said just about never and I do not recall when it would come in handy. Do any of you know? I do have anti lock brakes on my 2007 E EXP-AT. I have never experienced not being able to get out of our steep driveway before. With my 2005 E EX-AT it was never a problem and I never experienced the yellow triangle light and weird sound it makes when that light is triggered to come on with what seems like a lack of traction control.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The VSA system will cut engine power and/or pulse the brake system to regulate wheel spin. What you're hearing and feeling is the abs/vsa system pumping the brakes. The triangle light on the dash will come on whenever it is active. It some situations, it may be beneficial to turn the system off, you getting out of your driveway may be one those situations. If you turn the system off, your E should behave just as your older model did.

Keep in mind that the VSA can keep you from getting sideways as well, so you should keep it on in most situations.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lre

That looks liked one Low Rider Element. :-o
Though powder like with wet snow it should be???

Hell on aerodynamics, no wait, that is an E.
It should be about the same. :razz:

-RG (newby CR-V transplant until booted)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great VSA snow post. To the point.

I am going to make sure my wife reads this VSA caution.
Coming from me it just goes into outer space.
Or her head, not sure which. :)

-RG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have a button for the VSA. It is not always on. I do not have an owner manual to know when I should turn it on. When we were trying to get out of my driveway it was not on. Then when we tried to get out the second time everyone in the car suggested that I do turn it on and see what happens. So my husband pushed the AVS button to turn it on and it made awfull sounds and he felt like he was out of control. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a button for the VSA. It is not always on. I do not have an owner manual to know when I should turn it on. When we were trying to get out of my driveway it was not on. Then when we tried to get out the second time everyone in the car suggested that I do turn it on and see what happens. So my husband pushed the AVS button to turn it on and it made awfull sounds and he felt like he was out of control. Any thoughts?
The VSA is defaulted to be on all the time. When you turn the system 'OFF' is will display a constant warning light on the dash, again this means the system is off. When the VSA is on, there will be no light on the dash, unless the VSA is actively trying to keep things under control, then the light will flash intermittently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow I am sorry I must have you all scratching your heads. The VSA is ALWAYS on, the button I have says VSA OFF. When we were stuck in the middle of the steep driveway trying to figure out our next move after several trys everyone said to try the AVS OFF button so we did and that is when we really lost control. So things are making sense. I do not under stand though how my 2005 E EX AT had no problem getting out and never saw the yellow triangle with exclamation before.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So a question I should ask to someone with owners manual is, when would you turn the VSA off?
Love you photo rotomoto haven't seen snow like that since Mt. Hood, OR.

·
Registered
235 Posts
your 05 didn't have the vsa with the yellow triangle. The factory tires on the new E are notoriously bad in the snow, maybe your 05 had better tires?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just one more thing.

Thank you everyone for your help. Going out to play in the snow. TTYL
You may find it benificial in lower speed city traffic to also hit the button and leave the tranny in "D3" mode. This will only use the 3 lowest gears which will help in slowing the vehicle down. To me it seems to help overall but you need to go back to regular "D" when you hit the highway.

Also remember: When you shift the lever to "2" you will start out in 2nd gear which will diminish wheel spin from a standing start. Anyone that drives a manual can attest to this procedure. Be sure to shift back to regular "D" once you get moving.

Try in in an empty parking lot and get a feel for it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts