Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They sell brush guards for elements very reasonably. Anyone purchased one, and are they easy to install?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Truck Gear Direct on eBay is where I got my Hunter grille guard.
The shipping was fast, great price, and it looks great.

The installation instructions are a little vague, but once you put the guard together before putting it on the car, you will see how it should be placed on the front. Don't get discouraged!

I got the powdercoated black, but I think the stainless looks sweet too.
I love the quality of my grille guard, and I think you would too :D

Here's mine:

·
Registered
33 Posts
good quality? worthwhile?

Hey, i just joined EOC.

I have been looking into a black hunter grille guard for my E, but the reviews haven't been great.

What's your opinion towards yours?

Thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks sweet!

With that on is my thinking correct that you would have to hit something harder now for the airbags to go off?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Looks sweet!

With that on is my thinking correct that you would have to hit something harder now for the airbags to go off?

You know, I hadn't thought of that, but I would imagine it would take more force to get them to deploy.

Looks like I'm relying on my seatbelts at this point :razz:

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Looks sweet!

Most likely not. All of those brushguards are pretty much cosmetic. The tops are connected under the hood in 2 locations to thin sheetmetal. The bottom is bolted to thin sheetmetal. Any good shot to the front would actually cause far more damage than without the guard there and the airbags would still deploy with the same amount of force.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm not positive, but I thought the airbag system relied on accelerometers or a G-Switch for a deployment signal.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
from what my bodyshop tech told me the E uses somewhat crude accelerometers to measure the deceleration of the vehicle.

It could be possible that the airbag would deploy on a lighter impact because there is no longer a 5mph bumper to absorb some of the impact.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I installed the stainless steel brush guard from Truck Gear Direct. Next is the stainless steel running boards and tail light guards, as well as some stainless steel off road lamps to mount in the two pre-drilled holes on the brush guard. Here's a picture so far:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Most likely not. All of those brushguards are pretty much cosmetic. The tops are connected under the hood in 2 locations to thin sheetmetal. The bottom is bolted to thin sheetmetal. Any good shot to the front would actually cause far more damage than without the guard there and the airbags would still deploy with the same amount of force.
Actually that's not completely true. While the cosmetics play a part, the actual construction of the guard makes it appealing as well. The lower brackets are bolted to the main frame of the car, making it quite sturdy.

When my 1985 BMW 318i decided to crap out on me while driving home, I was able to go get my Element and literally push the car to a safe location, a portion of this trip being up a small hill.

It was quite scary thinking of using my E as a bumper car, but it came out unharmed and lookin' good! The grille guard stayed in place like it should.

·
Registered
33 Posts
RE: TRUCK GEAR DIRECT, on ebay

Well i ordered one for myself late Tuesday night, and FedEx tracking says it will be delivered on Friday. Two to Three days for $50 bucks shipping of that weight is pretty good i'd say.

Once i get it, install it, etc, i will post a couple of pictures and provide my review of their product.

FYI my current knowledge from reviews tells me that their stainless products are in fact no 100% stainless so they have rust problems. They are magnetic, all the proof you need there. So far, the black powder coat seems to be fine, so that's what i went with.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re

Got it. Installed it. I am very happy.

It looks great and it's strong. I've already used it a few times.

No problem at all pushing a civic with a blown head gasket half a mile from the middle lane of the highway off to the next exit.

Will post pictures soon.

·
Registered
20 Posts
FYI my current knowledge from reviews tells me that their stainless products are in fact no 100% stainless so they have rust problems. They are magnetic, all the proof you need there.
I tested mine last night. It isn't magnetic at all. The Bolts are, but I bought new stainless steel bolts and nuts a while ago. I've have no problems.

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
re

I ordered the black powder coat one.

I saw a video review by someone on youtube showing that their stainless brush guard from truckgeardirect was magnetic. They moved the magnet along and showed that it was magnetic and indeed not entirely stainless steel as advertised.

I remember reading another review on another website that said that truckgeardirect did not honor their warranty and was not responsive to customer service requests.

This is getting interesting on my end because i sent them an email four days ago, over 72 business day hours, and have received not reply. I sent them another email advising them that if i do not hear back from them by the end of the day tomorrow, i will take anti-fraud measures both with my bank and legal.

We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ordered the black powder coat one.

I saw a video review by someone on youtube showing that their stainless brush guard from truckgeardirect was magnetic. They moved the magnet along and showed that it was magnetic and indeed not entirely stainless steel as advertised.

I remember reading another review on another website that said that truckgeardirect did not honor their warranty and was not responsive to customer service requests.

This is getting interesting on my end because i sent them an email four days ago, over 72 business day hours, and have received not reply. I sent them another email advising them that if i do not hear back from them by the end of the day tomorrow, i will take anti-fraud measures both with my bank and legal.

We'll see what happens.
I have the stainless grille guard and I literally took a pretty big magnet to it a few days ago and nothing was magnetic. When I had a problem with them not shipping enough bolts to put the guard on my car, it took them about 4-5 days to respond (two of which were weekend days), and then they did end up refunding me $25 to cover the cost of new bolts (which I had told them was unnecessary). All in all, in my opinion, the customer service aspect of Truck Gear Direct is a bit slow, but very reasonable. The product quality and value is very reasonable as well. If my grille guard rusts in 2 years, then so be it, ill get a new one. For $180, I'm just not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
re

I agree 100% that for the price the product quality is pretty good. No argument there.

On another note, and i will copy this into another seemingly appropriate thread as well:

On my way back from responding to a motor vehicle accident, between 1:00 and 2:00 today, i passed another E with a brush guard going the opposite direct on route 7. It was black powder coat, not stainless, but looked a little different from mine. Are there any other people selling these things for E's, i couldn't find any besides Truck Gear Direct.

I don't remember the color, but i was just wondering if anyone was in the area at the time and happens to have one.

Good evening and TGIF, almost.

·
Retired.
12,183 Posts
I agree 100% that for the price the product quality is pretty good. No argument there.

On another note, and i will copy this into another seemingly appropriate thread as well:

On my way back from responding to a motor vehicle accident, between 1:00 and 2:00 today, i passed another E with a brush guard going the opposite direct on route 7. It was black powder coat, not stainless, but looked a little different from mine. Are there any other people selling these things for E's, i couldn't find any besides Truck Gear Direct.

I don't remember the color, but i was just wondering if anyone was in the area at the time and happens to have one.

Good evening and TGIF, almost.

Aries and Manik are the other two companies that come to mind that are selling them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
re

I am thinking that Truck Gear Direct might be reseller of Hunter or the other way around perhaps.

Hunter's brush guard looks 100% identical to mine which i ordered from Truck Gear Direct, as do Hunter's install instructions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts