Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a notice that the indicator needles on all of the dials can slip or fall off and the panel will be replaced.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,105 Posts
Haven't heard of a recall, but someone else just posted in the problems & issues forum that their tach needle fell off.

I just checked my Honda owner link page, and there's no mention of a recall under the recall tab.

I wonder if it's a recall like "if it happens bring it in and we'll fix it" or if it's an "everybody bring your E in to get a new instrument panel."

And I notice that you're in Canada...perhaps Honda of Canada is quicker about notifying owners of recalls than Honda USA.

So far my gauge needles are still in place, and I'm hoping they don't go anywhere!

I received the TSB last week at work....I will double check tommorow it is actually a recall notice or just a regular TSB.

No surprise that Honda Canada acted a little faster...they sold fewer E's up here.

·
Registered
246 Posts
It's NOT a recall from the standpoint that a potential safety issue exists, but the affected vehicles will all need to be repaired and the Owner's will all be notified by mail.

2007 Element 2WD – From VIN 5J6YH1...7L000055 thru 5J6YH1...7L016584
2007 Element 4WD – From VIN 5J6YH2...7L000033 thru 5J6YH2...7L014108

SAMPLE LETTER:

December 2007
Product Update: Instrument Panel Gauge
Needles Read Inaccurately or Fall Off

Dear Element Owner:
This letter is to notify you of a potential problem with your
vehicle and what you should do to resolve it.

What is the problem?

The needles in the instrument panel gauges may read
inaccurately of fall off. The gauges that can be affected
include the speedometer, the tachometer, the fuel, and
the coolant temperature.

What should you do?
Contact any authorized Honda dealer for an appointment
to have your vehicle updated. The dealer will replace the
instrument panel, transferring the odometer and
maintenance minder data from the original instrument
panel to the new one. This work will be done free of
charge. Please plan to leave your vehicle at the dealer for
half a day to allow some flexibility in scheduling.

What to do if you feel this notice is in error
Our records show that you are the current owner or lessee
of a 2007 Element involved in this product update. If this is
not the case, or the name/address information is not
correct, please fill out and return the enclosed, postage-paid
Information Change Card. We will then update our
records.

If you have questions
If you have questions about this notice, or need help
contacting a Honda dealer, please call Honda Automobile
Customer Service at (800) 999-1009.
We apologize for any inconvenience this product update
may cause you.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The wife had our E in Friday to fix the seat trim AGAIN (does the lemon law cover seat trim? :) ) under warranty. While it was there they replaced at least one needle, not really sure what all was done. She couldn't remember exactly what they told her, but if it would help anyone I could post the part number shown on the invoice we got...

They told her it was a recall, and there was no charge...

·
Registered
229 Posts
Per invoice...

Meter Ass[embly]
Part # 04781-SCV-305RM
QTY=1

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
here is my question with them replacing the whole unit.

Do they calibrate the odometer to match what is on there or am I going to get a big orange sticker on my vehical again from honda due to replaced guage assembly?

·
Moderator Eh?
12,105 Posts
here is my question with them replacing the whole unit.

Do they calibrate the odometer to match what is on there or am I going to get a big orange sticker on my vehical again from honda due to replaced guage assembly?

The odometer and maintenance minder info are transfered over to the new gauge cluster.

·
Registered
229 Posts
What is the official TSB number for this panel replacement? Is there a site I can search and download all the existing TSB?
Thanks.
Not sure if I'm reading this right or not, but our paperwork says "Recall 07-087"

·
Registered
45 Posts
dash needles

Just picked the Element up. I use Hidy Honda in Beavercreek, OH. They had the parts in stock and did a great job.

Info;

Recall - 07-087
Defect Code - 5XU00
Symptom Code - Q6200
Part - Meter Assy. - Part # 04781-SCW-305RM

When I went in Saturday morning to talk to them about it and give them a copy of the letter that Honda Canada had mailed to other people they had never heard of it and had nothing in the computer. When I went in yesterday morning to talk to them, the recall was in the system. I'd have to assume that all dealerships have info on it now...

PS - I don't know if 07-087 is a "recall" or not, don't really care. BUT....that's what the service writer at the dealership called it.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,105 Posts
So what if I decide not to bother? My needles are doing fine and there is no final date on the "product update" letter.

I will double check my copy tommorow.....until it becomes a recall most PUD's are only covered under the basic 3yr/60000lm warranty. If you have a problem outside of the warranty period you would be on the hook for the bill.

Edit: After reading the bulletin agian this morning there is no time or mileage limitation for the repair.....I suspect it's just a matter of time for it to be listed as an official recall.

·
Registered
14 Posts
instrument cluster

I work for a dealership in Canada, and i was talking to one of my techs and he said you should order extra clips for the panel because when your pulling off the instrument panel the clips tend to break. The dealer probably dosent have these clips and would have to order them. Anybody who had the work should check that everything is secured properly. These techs only get paid .4 of an hour for this job and dont care if they break a clip or two and probably would'nt replace it.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
That is deffinately the part number for a guage cluster/meter assy.
The part number on my order is slightly different. Perhaps because I'm in Canada? Attached is my work order.

One other thing ... when the vehicle was returned to me, I noticed that pointers were a solid white. I may be wrong, but IIRC, they were originally an orange/white color.

Ted

Attachments

·
Moderator Eh?
12,105 Posts
The part number on my order is slightly different. Perhaps because I'm in Canada? Attached is my work order.

One other thing ... when the vehicle was returned to me, I noticed that pointers were a solid white. I may be wrong, but IIRC, they were originally an orange/white color.

Ted

There are different part numbers for:

canadian/american
auto/standard
SC/LX/EX
and FWD/4WD

For Canada alone there is six different part numbers for guages for 2007's.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts

·
Moderator Eh?
12,105 Posts
i know its been posted on few other threads about the recent recall with the defective gauge instrment cluster on 2007+ model elements. has any SC specific owners recieved this recall letter? i have yet to recieve one, so just curious if it affected the SC models as well?

and if i didn't get one, could i go to my local dealership and ask them to service that recall regardless of reciving the letter? thanks!

Hondatech posted the affected VIN range here

If your vehicle is not in the affected range the answer is no....they will not pay to replace your panel. If you don't receive a letter you can always call your dealer with the VIN and ask them to run it and see if it comes up on the system.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,105 Posts
Okay, I've searched and searched but can't seem to find the answer, so sorry if the answer is already somewhere, but.....what is the difference between the instrument panel for the auto and stick tranny? I have a manual and I'm just curious what is different--and I like to be informed before I visit the dealership. Thanks.

A panel for a standard won't have the "PRNDL" indicator.

·
Registered
31 Posts
RE: Instrument cluster

The full explanation is that because the computer erased the data, the new panel had to be sent to a company that the state allows to program and certify the mileage on the odometer.

Sounds to me like the dealer accidentally erased your new odometer when trying to transfer the data to the new cluster - maybe they let the battery run down, or someone disconnected the HDS scan tool halfway through the programming :???:
It could be that their HDS was having problems prior to the reprogramming, but it sounds more like human error.
Barry B

·
Registered
79 Posts
Like analogy 134 said - somewhere on the vehicle. I would be foaming at the mouth mad if it were me. If you keep the car for its entire usable life, then no problem. But, NOTHING kills a cars resale value like a TMU (true mileage unknown). Even if you have the documentation to add it up, dealers run from them like a river during a spring melt. If they applied a sticker somwhere, cover it with a transparrent tape to protect it from fade or make a copy and put it back on. Keep meticulous records of maintenance and mileage if you plan to trade/sell it in few years. Again however, if you plan to drive it until the wheels fall off, then resale is non issue.
The service department should have recorded the mileage at the time of the replacement. If they didn't then I'd be on them like stink on... er, white on rice. If they recorded the mielage at the time of replacement, the TMU designation shouldn't be applied to your vehicle right? When I had my instrument panel replaced, my invoice has the actual mileage at the time and it matches the new one.

·
Moderator Eh?
12,105 Posts
Yeah, I know I probably should. I'm just a little worried that they will screw something up. I think I'd rather drive blind than have a dash rattle:)
There isn't a lot too screw up. It not like the whole dash is being taken apart. Only 2 covers and 5 screws are removed. I have had the cluster out of my E at least 5 times and i don't have any rattles.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts