Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if TSP (trisodium phosphate) will damage clearcoat? The reason I'm asking is I have to use it to put a UV resistant topcoat on my Herculinered panels and it says to prep it with TSP. I know it's a surface prep but I don't know how strong it is. As in will it strip the clearcoat or paint? TIA

·
Registered
557 Posts
I use TSP to clean walls in homes for paint, and I would have to say, I would never ever get it close to the finish on my car... it's very abrasive. I don't think it will strip the paint, but it will definitly make it look like you took coarse sandpaper to it.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm ok. I'm not going to "use" it on my paint but if any were to drip off the panels and get on the paint it would be washed off asap.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Yeah, I don't think it will actually eat the paint unless you scrub or brush the stuff around on the paint, I would search around for stuff titled "TSP ruined my car" or something on google, and if nothing bad comes up...

Otherwise, I think it'll be ok as long as if it gets on the car you get it off immediately.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've used TSP around the house in preparation for painting. The stuff is great for dulling the paint, so the new paint will have something to "grip" onto.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts