Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't done much research, but since these two cars have the "same" engine how come they don't nurse more out of the E and CRV?

Has anyone discussed a swap?

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
I don't have any factual basis for this, just an educated hunch - the 2.4 in the TSX is tuned for high-RPM HP, the 2.4 in the E and CRX is tuned for low-RPM torque.

Again, just an educated hunch.

·
Registered
88 Posts
[quote:c25ab9eae1="MikeQBF"]I don't have any factual basis for this, just an educated hunch - the 2.4 in the TSX is tuned for high-RPM HP, the 2.4 in the E and CRX is tuned for low-RPM torque.

Again, just an educated hunch.[/quote:c25ab9eae1]

I think you are on target with this hunch. When I bought my E, I took it back a few days later to have the accessories installed. The dealer gave me a brand new Accord with the 2.4 and automatic. Beautiful car to drive, but a tad sluggish off the line. However, freeway passing power was very good.

I got back in my E and I ended up jumping off the line a few times before I readjusted to the different feel. The E was more responsive from idle, but is of course a little less responsive at speed.

That was my experience - anybody else? 8)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think the TSX has different cams with more aggresive lift and mabye less or the same amount of duration plus a higher compression ratio. On top of that the fuel and ignition maps are programmed differently and makes high rpm hp.

Also don't forget that a transmisison with taller gearing will also affect the performance of the car. I am pretty sure the TSX will have shorter gearing which will also help in acceleration times as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I own a TSX and an E. The TSX is actually geared taller than the E. That's because it has 40 more horsepower and a 5 speed auto or a 6 speed manual tranny and the aerodynamics are better. The cruise rpm at any given speed is considerably lower in the TSX. The TSX gets better mileage due to the above even though its engine is tuned for more power and rpm. As I recall, the rpm limit is 7,100.

While both cars have K 24 engines, they have many different internals. Both are great cars and I am thrilled with each of them.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The Element achieves it's 2354 cc engine with a 87 mm bore and 99 mm stroke at a 9.7:1 compression ratio. It requires regular octane.

The TL achieves it's same displacement with the same bore and stroke, but at a higher 10.5:1 compression ratio. It requires premium octane.

I imagine a head swap would be possible :wink: For those that don't understand how compression ratio can change while displacement is exactly the same, remember that the capacity of the engine is rated by the swept area of the piston crown... it is not affected by to the cylinder volume above the top of the piston.

(Honda's been increasing their stroke to make a higher displacement engine despite using a small block with tight cylinder spacing. This is why redlines are not going up, if anything they are going down. The North American 2004 s2000 will have a 2.2 litre engine (up from 2.0), but to get the displacement and a little more torque they increased the stroke. Peak HP is the same, and redline drops from 9000 RPM to 8000 RPM to maintain acceptable piston speeds.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts