Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 03 element w/92k.. going to do a tune up and wanted to know what all i should change and does the E have the cap and rotor? going to change for sure the plugs and wires.. also, are the OEM spark plugs really iridium? thanks..

·
Registered
203 Posts
Plugs, no wires, it has coils. Flush coolant, flush trans, rear diff, adjust valves, oil change, air filter, etc...

·
Registered
104 Posts
also replace brake fluid (every 3 years independent of mileage).

BTW: Only use OEM plugs (you can buy them at many parts stores). And don't gap them (just check em). If the gap is off, ask for another plug...

·
Registered
178 Posts
Better MPG off standard old copper. Most think the plats or iridium give better mpg and hp. Not really unless you read into the fine print of how they do that.

Copper - give best mpg and hp but need to be swapped at 15k-20k to remain at the highest performance

Platinum - give less mpg and hp but keep an even level of performance for 40k-50K

Iridium - gives the least mpg and performance out of the three but will keep an even level of performance for 100K.

Coppers - $1.00-$2.50 on avg

Platinums - $2.99-$3.99 on average

Iridiums - $12-$17 on average

So it all boils down to how often you want to swap the plugs and how efficient you want them to be. I personally like the E3's since they are copper plugs with a "twist". Because they are made differently from other plugs they boast a life similar to Iridiums with a 100K warranty. I like my gas mileage and the response from the engine with E3's better than Iridiums. I swapped Iridiums out of my TL and E for these ;-).

·
Registered
104 Posts
It's not too hard to re-gap. Why get a new one?
It says in the OEM shop manual not to gap iridium plugs. If the gap is off from the factory, you are supposed to swap it out for a new plug. I believe it's because the fine tips cannot withstand bending or something like that. I'm just quoting what the OEM shop manual says...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Better MPG off standard old copper. Most think the plats or iridium give better mpg and hp. Not really unless you read into the fine print of how they do that.

Copper - give best mpg and hp but need to be swapped at 15k-20k to remain at the highest performance

Platinum - give less mpg and hp but keep an even level of performance for 40k-50K

Iridium - gives the least mpg and performance out of the three but will keep an even level of performance for 100K.

So it all boils down to how often you want to swap the plugs and how efficient you want them to be. I personally like the E3's since they are copper plugs with a "twist". Because they are made differently from other plugs they boast a life similar to Iridiums with a 100K warranty. I like my gas mileage and the response from the engine with E3's better than Iridiums. I swapped Iridiums out of my TL and E for these ;-).
thanks for everyone's response...what do you mean E3's? i personally like the copper too..

·
Registered
118 Posts
thanks for everyone's response...what do you mean E3's? i personally like the copper too..
E3's are a newer plug on the market HorsePower TV show Muscle Car did a comparison with an engine dyno with multiple plus and the E3's came out on top for best performance and MPG gains. Google E3 for more info.

·
Registered
234 Posts
no no no no no. Only use the NGK Iridium (what came on your car from honda) or the denso Iridium thats it. Dont even check the gap just open the box and put them in. They will be fine, they are protected with a sleeve in the box so the gap will be fine. I bought my NGK's for $11 a piece. Dont use anything else. Dont use E3's they are all hype and only good for lawn mowers no joke.

·
Registered
178 Posts
no no no no no. Only use the NGK Iridium (what came on your car from honda) or the denso Iridium thats it. Dont even check the gap just open the box and put them in. They will be fine, they are protected with a sleeve in the box so the gap will be fine. I bought my NGK's for $11 a piece. Dont use anything else. Dont use E3's they are all hype and only good for lawn mowers no joke.
I entirely disagree. Can you tell me you have honestly dyno'ed an iridium against a copper plug? The reason the car's come with iridium's are not because they are better. It is so they are maintenance free longer and the cost of maintenance looks better to potential buyers. Iridiums are ****ty plugs unless you are going to poorly maintain your vehicle in the first place. Pretty much the idiot free plugs.

I was just saying I like E3's. The emissions test do not lie regarding these or Halo's and pushes in the EU to force similar products make sense. If the guy does not want E3's I would still prefer copper any day over the plats or iridiums.

·
Registered
68 Posts

You state all of this as though it's factual. Do you have anything that supports your claims? If you do, I'd think it would help many in making their next plug buying decision. Thanks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My knowledge came from workshops on this information. I will see if I can dig some up though and post it shortly.

I'm disappointed to see Denso pulled the chart from their website clearly showing what I was going to reference.....I wonder why they pulled it.....:/

·
Registered
234 Posts
A quote from NGK

"Iridium is a precious, silver-white metal and one of the densest materials found on earth. The natural properties of Iridium offered NGK the opportunity to create one of the world's finest spark plugs. The result are spark plugs that require less voltage to spark, burns fuel more efficiently, sparks at leaner air/fuel mixtures, and delivers higher horsepower and better gas mileage."

The two main things are long life and a more compleate burn of the fuel. Thats why honda puts IR's on all of their cars and why I dont think any currently produced cars use copper plugs? But I think wipeout should use copper that sounds awsome. Just like grand daddy used and also this whole "detergent oil" thing well thats just for longer life of the oil also so I think wipeout should use non detergent straight 30wt too because all of this new fancy stuff is just not needed.

GET ER DONE!!!!

Just kidding wipeout but seriously you can use what you want but for the purposes of this forum I think it would be wrong to tell anyone to use copper in their E. Also dont use non detergent oil for all you guys out there who dont get sarcasm.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yep.....did dig and here it is. Since denso and ngk have pulled this info off their sites maybe this can shed some light for you. Too bad the big boys are in it for profit more than anything else.

http://www.zex.com/Catalog/ZEX101-05/PG25.pdf

I wrote in to get the chart from zex showing breakdown of spark plugs but they have yet to send it over. This would allow anyone with a brain to see what I stated as fact. Soon enough I'll post that too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not sure what that companies article is supposed to prove. An independent test might be noteworthy. It's kind of like Amsoils own tests where every single product they test is better than any other product on the market, regardless of if it's oil, tranny fluid, diff fluid, fuel supplemts.....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Champion is Champion

I personally prefer Champion spark plugs. They've been making plugs for 100 years and know what works. I too would only replace iridium with iridium, platinum with platinum or double platinum etc.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Spark Plugs

I entirely disagree. Can you tell me you have honestly dyno'ed an iridium against a copper plug? The reason the car's come with iridium's are not because they are better. It is so they are maintenance free longer and the cost of maintenance looks better to potential buyers. Iridiums are ****ty plugs unless you are going to poorly maintain your vehicle in the first place. Pretty much the idiot free plugs.

I was just saying I like E3's. The emissions test do not lie regarding these or Halo's and pushes in the EU to force similar products make sense. If the guy does not want E3's I would still prefer copper any day over the plats or iridiums.
You seem to be a subject matter expert in the area of spark plugs as well as motor oil. Could you enlighten us as to where you get your information i.e test data, studies, etc. I doubt that a large corporation like Honda Motor Company would put a ****ty spark plug in their products unless of course that is just your personal opinion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts