Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting issue...replaced bulbs already (one was out)...here's the problem: driving along, turn on right turn signal, it blinks fine, until I step on the brake. Also, when I press on the brake, the interior turn signal lights up on the right whether I have the signal on to turn or NOT?

Any suggestions? We're wondering if it's maybe a fuse?:?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I had a similar problem on my '89 Chevy truck. Replaced bulbs just like you did. Ended up being a short in one of the tail light assemblies. bh241 has a good point as well, any mods to factory wiring could be suspect, even if it's plug-n-play.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
2,056 Posts
Remove the new bulb if, everything goes back to normal,
Double check to make sure you replaced with correct part number bulb and the terminals are not bent over.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, thanks....Benny, yep, remember, we pulled the popup with it a few times, but I haven't pulled anything with it for several years. Maybe this is where the problem is - with the trailer hitch and wiring. I'll get Denny to check it out.

It was fine until I took it through the car wash the last time, so it COULD be a short or break there.

Thanks for the clue guys! Will let you know what we find out!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Turn Signal Malfunction

I agree the new bulb is suspect. Perhaps the two filaments are touching each other or the bulb's contacts are bridging the two circuits.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I'd start by swaping out the bulb but...

i'm guessing trailer wiring install went bad.... maybe getting wet tru car wash was the last straw for an already hurting connection.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem hasn't been fixed yet. This week it's in the shop getting the passenger door fixed from a trailer being backed into it put a big hole and dent in it.

The problem with the light/signal didn't occur until I went through the car wash. It was working fine until then. I don't think the problem has anything to do with the new bulbs. The new bulbs just didn't fix the problem originally, so the next thought is definitely the wiring for the trailer gone bad. We had problems with another trailer and the truck when we first got it, and it was a wiring problem. So - as soon as the E is back from the body shop and Denny and I have 5 minutes to deal with it, that's the next job on the list....either that, or here we come Pep Boys!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bump...

I have been having this issue too.. though it has gone from random dash blinker light showing up to the brakes on = blinker light on + blinkers on solid

I have trailer wires but haven't used them since i got my '03 in '05. Anything i should be looking for?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I have trailer wires but haven't used them since i got my '03 in '05. Anything i should be looking for?
Yup....

1st, find out if the wire harness is a "plug & play" type or if it has been "spliced in."

If it is plug and play I suspect a bad converter box.

If it is spliced in type there is likely to be a problem with one (or more) of the connections....but it is possible the converter went bad on it as well.

·
Registered
590 Posts
look for some cheese... from-unda-cheese. from-unda-ya bumpa... find the magic box, and find where it's all tapped into whatever it's tapped into. no corrosion, unplug and/or disconnect it and see if it goes away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts