Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed this sometimes when going to start the E. There is no sound or anything When I go to crank it but I have to wait a second and then it will fire up as normal. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
826 Posts
I have noticed this sometimes when going to start the E. There is no sound or anything When I go to crank it but I have to wait a second and then it will fire up as normal. Has anyone else had this issue?
Check your negative battery cable, down where it bolts to the engine/transmission. For some reason Honda left the last 3-4 inches exposed, and any corrosion there will cause the no start issue you described. This is a well known problem area on Elements. It's a simple and inexpensive fix. And you will want to start there before you work on anything else that is difficult and very expensive!

I wish you well! :)

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
826 Posts
Check out this thread. The first post has a picture of what I am talking about. Even if yours isn't as bad, any corrosion there will cause a problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Awesome thanks! , I will check it out to see what is going on! I have no idea why Honda would leave the end of the ground cable exposed like that...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Precisely what my 05 EX was doing for about 3-4 months until this week when it wouldn’t start at all because the starter failed.
Wasn’t until starting the first time with the new starter that I noticed how gradually the old one had been slowing down when cranking as well.
The battery was new in December and tested fine and no corrosion present anywhere in the cables in my case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts