Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a commercial for the E after Fear Factor. This is the first TV ad I have seen for the E since December of last year.

Doesn't look like they have changed their age demographic though....a bunch of young 20 somethings surfing and at hanging out at the beach.

Ummmmm I bought an E, and am a married 27 year old who lives in the midwest.....I have never surfed nor lived near the beach.....hummmm.....kinda makes ya wonder!

Peace Out
Diane

·
Registered
493 Posts
Well Diane, I'm 55 PLUS, I never surf or even go near the beach yet, (although I live about an hours drive to it), and I have probably put more "STUFF" on my E than anyone has. Check out my thread in the image gallery under GerBrassfield's flamer element. Roof mounted spotlight, roof mounted air horn (hawwwwwwnk, hawwwwnnnnnnk, good buddy!!), flames on the side and now 18" chrome wheels with BFG g-Force tires. What the heck is next for this born-again dude experiencing his second childhood?? :D 8) 8) 8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I want the TV Commercials for the E, all of them

I am looking for the TV commercials. Does anyone have them in digital form, or vhs.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
We are 48 - I think the last info I read here put the average age of the EOC member owner at like 38?? Perhaps Honda has tested and found that the ads DO appeal to the older E buyer - in that it makes them feel young and "hip" when they buy a car supposedly targeted to a much younger demograhic? I am a marketing professional and I am married to a major brand marketing exec and I have learned that what we THINK the target audience is is not always the REAL target audience.
Have questions? I will be glad to answer - I DO know that most car ads are designed more to ease post purchase dissonance than to sell cars. They are designed to reinforce that you made the BEST decision and got the BEST car. The recent uptick in Honda Element sales in Jan means it's time to run some ads - make those new buyers feel GOOD! Since I haven't seen them I wonder which markets they are running in? Perhaps where sales have been highest?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Well this thread was started about 4 months after the Element was first introduced so there have been a handfull of commerciasl since then. Not many but some. The most popular was the "Purpose" commercial with the Megablock Element easily seen here:

http://www.swaystudio.com/honda_movie.html

Then you had (in no particular order)
  • The target demographic of young "Dudes" roadtripping, throwing a frisbee thru the open doors, eating nachos, complaining about foot odor etc.
  • The Element driver being followed by a massive crowd of outdoorsy types. Kayakers, climbers, hikers etc.
  • The 2 guys roadtripping to campgrounds, beaches, parks, mountains etc. and covering the rear of the Element with location stickers. Sort of like a large travel chest.
That's all I can remember right now other than the generic Honda products commercials advertising sales. However there was one that showed one Honda product after another cruising down the road then ending with their formula-1 race car.

I can't find any of the older commercials online but the Japanese Honda site has these very artsy fartsy ads:

http://www.honda.co.jp/ELEMENT/2005/movie/

·
Registered
506 Posts
tango said:
We are 48 - I think the last info I read here put the average age of the EOC member owner at like 38?? Perhaps Honda has tested and found that the ads DO appeal to the older E buyer - in that it makes them feel young and "hip" when they buy a car supposedly targeted to a much younger demograhic? I am a marketing professional and I am married to a major brand marketing exec and I have learned that what we THINK the target audience is is not always the REAL target audience.
Have questions? I will be glad to answer - I DO know that most car ads are designed more to ease post purchase dissonance than to sell cars. They are designed to reinforce that you made the BEST decision and got the BEST car. The recent uptick in Honda Element sales in Jan means it's time to run some ads - make those new buyers feel GOOD! Since I haven't seen them I wonder which markets they are running in? Perhaps where sales have been highest?
What an interesting angle on the real target of ads. That is not intuitive yet it kind of makes sense. Is post purchase dissonance common? Why is that ? What is the danger of it? I would imagine that in order to keep the buzz alive people need to be high on their purchase. This is kind of fascinating, care to explain futher?
K

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
come to think of it... i don't really see many honda commercials in general! i guess when you have a good product that gets decent sales (at least enough to make profit), you don't need to pour massive amounts of $$$ into commercials and ads?

the most ads i've seen in recent memory were for the ridgeline and new civic.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
i've been seeing them regularly on the independent stations (9,11,13 in LA) lately. usually from 1130 to 1230pm.

there was a new one a couple of nights ago that was only for the element.

usually they are for the 'honda trucks' and show all 4.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
kalinka said:
What an interesting angle on the real target of ads. That is not intuitive yet it kind of makes sense. Is post purchase dissonance common? Why is that ? What is the danger of it? I would imagine that in order to keep the buzz alive people need to be high on their purchase. This is kind of fascinating, care to explain futher?
K
People get unhappy (have dissonance) as soon as they make the 1st payment and realize the magnitude of the purchase they have made (and the length of the financial obligation). The "new car" thrill is gone and they have had time to find all the things they don't like so much about the car. By that time people they know (and may hope to impress) have commented on the car - sometimes in a negative way. They find they could have gotten it cheaper. They see a car they "think" they might have liked better. All sorts of reasons but it starts with the money - a new car is a BIG purchase and it stresses many people - especially when they feel they "might" have made a mistake. It is very common with big ticket purchases.
Most new car ads (by the manufacturer) are designed to reinforce the buyers intelligence, savvy, self esteem and self-worth. There are only 2 kinds of ads for cars done by manufacturers (this does not include corporate/brand promotion ads - which promote the company or brand as a whole) - ads designed to "sell" or create interest in a vehicle (or introduce a new one) and ads that are designed to reinforce the buying decision - both with the buyer and the people s/he talks to about the vehicle. The ads set a "tone" - one that says to the buyer - you are now a part of this group and this group is the "best" and you are now among this elite group. The message is very clear - drivers of XYZ car are, for instance, wealthy, successful and suave. Or, in the case of the E are young, energetic, "with it", and fun. There is always a target demographic, but along with that is the message that buying this car will automatically place you IN that demographic. Very few cars sell strictly to their demographic - in fact, they might not sell AT ALL to that demographic - only to those who aspire TO that demographic.
Marketing and advertising is very much a game of subversive manipulation of normal human behavior (and culture).

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
tango said:
Or, in the case of the E are young, energetic, "with it", and fun. There is always a target demographic, but along with that is the message that buying this car will automatically place you IN that demographic. Very few cars sell strictly to their demographic - in fact, they might not sell AT ALL to that demographic - only to those who aspire TO that demographic.
(and culture).
That's me. Bought the E when I was 66 and wanted it to change my age, so I would be in my 20's again. :) Didn't work, I'm now 67. :mad: Wife agreed with my purpose of changing my age into the 20's. She said it would be an upgrade from my present age of 8.:|

1 - 11 of 11 Posts