Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To share my woes in trying to get my "E"....

I ordered my Element two weeks ago and as of yesterday still did not have any notice as to when she might arrive. I sent a fax to my salesman and called the dealership to speak to a Business Manager; no response.

I called this morning to tell them I was furious! The salesman had a day off yesterday, which is okay. The Business Manager to whom I was directed also was having a day off, which is why I received his voice-mail. I told them that it was very poor to be directed to somoene who was not in the office.

In any case, the salesman called me back and I explained my frustration:

1. Honda Canada is saying that they have a shipment coming in mid-month. I want a confirmation that there is a vehicle of my colour choice in that. I also asked for the VIN.
2. I want a detailed breakdown of the price of the vehcile with a listing of the accessories I am paying for and those they are providing for free to close the deal. I asked them to include the interest rate for the financing as well.
3. A breakdown of what accessories will be on the vehicle and what is going to be back-ordered. I understand that the security system and keyless remote entry are back-ordered. On such a new, unique vehcile, it's pretty important to have those accessories right away.

I am supposed to get a fax at my office this morning addressing those concerns. It really peeves me that I have asked for this information over and over throughout the last two weeks and only now can get it. I did say to them that I had really received the impression that the vehicle had not been ordered.

This is after having put down $500 CAD when I asked for the vehicle and a further $7000 CAD last Saturday to pay for the on-delivery charges. (I am putting $5000 CAD down as a down-payment.)

I hope no one else is having any difficulties like this?

Iskie

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Iskie, that is unreal, and to be forwarded to another person who was not there. Had you considered going to another dealer.. as well which Element are you looking for (I realize it could not be a USA one, since you are in Canada, and would need those metric gauges).. but perhaps you can get some help somehow from someone here.

Please keep us posted, and I wish you success, if not a HUGE compensation for your frustration!!! :)

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Kvetching makes one feel better. :D

I have the Silver E, Y-Series on order. I hope that the dealer addresses my concerns today with the fax they are sending. The dealer is in the big "autopark" of car dealers here in Mississauga, so I had hoped they would be good - however I had crappy treatment from the Chev-Olds dealer in the same park.

My boyfriend has promised to create a movie of an my "E" when she arrives...so you're hopefully see me grinning from ear to ear at that time.

Iskie

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Iskie I look forward to the grin flick of the E arrival!

My experience with what I call "dealer-row" is horrible no matter where they locate them.. i always had the best service from a place that was off the beaten track.. this could be due to the fact that I am complete hick and I relate well, but on the same side i get along excellent with city folk.. most of my friends are in or from Phillie.. hummm.,,

keep us posted.. and just look forward to the great arrival.. ENJOY!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Isketerol,
Don't feel bad. I've been waiting since the first week of January! and thats after I put a down payment of 3000.00 and another 4000.00 upon delivery.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Isketerol,

Dealer finance rates vary throughout the US and most likely in Canada as well but, I wanted to share with you the finance game I played...it works.
I shopped around on the internet for new car financing. One site (Peoples First) advertised a 4.89% rate for a 60 month note. My local dealer said they typically provide a 5% rate. When I mentioned that I had a 4.89% rate locked in thru another provider, they offered to work thru a bank and get me a 4.5% rate. I took this "quasi offer" back to People First and they lowered their rate to 4.45%. By the way, my dealer was unable to get the 4.5% rate ( was it BS? Who knows for sure). My suggestion is that you should shop around at credit unions and especially the internet (you do the typing, so it's a Low admin cost for them which results in better rates) for better rates.

GOOD LUCK with your Element journey

·
Registered
608 Posts
Silver,

That works, not just shop around for the Element's price, but for the loan rate as well. Good job.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
geeze I was thrilled with my 4.9% which the best that has been around for years.. though they did have a promotion of 1.7% on Civics.. amazing isn't it? I hate that kinda game!

·
Registered
11 Posts
[quote:d5bbe7d3c7="GYPSYTDA"]geeze I was thrilled with my 4.9% which the best that has been around for years.. though they did have a promotion of 1.7% on Civics.. amazing isn't it? I hate that kinda game![/quote:d5bbe7d3c7]

Gypsy, the rate on the civics is 1.9 for up to 60 months, and trust me, I would love it if we could offer it on every honda cause it would make my job easier. Unfortunately, Honda Finance feels the Civic isthe only one worthy of a special rate right now, but let's face it, when you get to rates that low, the extra 2 or 3 points don't make that much difference in the monthly payments....lol

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

I received a fax from the dealer asking for the breakdown of the pricing - the fourth time I have asked for it. Once again, the salesman did not list the three accessories he said he would put in to close the deal as free. As well, the fiancnce rate was listed incorrectly ar 7.7% when it should have been 6.8%.

I am writing a detailed fax to spell out excatly my understanding of the deal with a firm but polite message that if it is not sorted out by Close of Business on Monday, I will expect a full refund of the money I have put down. I am also going to tell them I have already discussed this with Honda Canada in some detail.

I just don't think the salesman understands what is required of him. It distresses me all the more as I am also in Sales....

I hope to get this all sorted out tomorrow :D :!:

Iskie

·
Registered
608 Posts
OK, Lawyer's hat going on for a sec. (Warning Warning)

Here in the States, if something like this were to go on, I would say go back to the dealership and ask to speak to either an owner or manager or who ever is there in person. There is always someone there, if not the owner or top manager, there is some one there that is up the food chain.

Bring any paperwork that you have from when you put your money down. (Now, if when you sign a contract to buy a car, you should get all the information on the paper work. If you put any money down, you need to get a receipt for that, as well as something that says what the dealership is going to provide, and when. That should include all the extras, as well as a ball park on delivery date. While it goes without saying, you do need to read all the paper work that you are signing).

If you are unable to make any headway with your dealership, during normal business hours, ask for your refund. If they don't want to give it to you, or give you a very hard time, there are different places you can take things.

The state Atty General's office deals with consumer fraud. When I worked there, we used to get tons and tons of complaints about car dealership, and at times we did pull some dealers licenses. That is rare, but with enough complaints, it does happen. Next, Honda itself is another good place to complain. They don't want the bad press, or an upset customer. They make their money on their reputation as well as their reliability. Finally, go to the local media. The newspapers and TV stations sometimes on their news programs have a reporter who investigates and puts people on the spot. If you can't make any other headway, you can always try that.

Finally, providing the paperwork you have is complete, and says what they were to do, and did not. AND you have done everything that you were required to do, then you may want to think about taking people to court. Depending on the amount, smalls claims court is one possibility, you don't even need a lawyer there.

I know that this does not help much, but it is something.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice. I hope I do not have to take it that far. The salesman is from Hong Kong - I think part of the problem is he just doesn't quite understand what I am asking for. I actually asked my boyfriend if he wanted to come with me to the dealership to act as my interpretor :D I have faith that the dealer will understand what I am looking for when I send the fax - completely detailed.

Incidently, I did have problems getting them to write the accessories on the original sales agreement - they claimed the Honda software did not include that information for the Element. They had to write it by hand - and they did not include the costs on it. Honda Canada told me that the do require that information to be entered properly.

I will keep you apprised - you guys have been very supportive.

Iskie

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
car_man_761: err my boo boo I thought it had stated 1.7% but still I was not considering a Civic anyhow.. but yeah great deal huh?

ibutchman: 4.9% is great but 4.45% would be even nicer (like Silver had noted), oh well too late.

RML: great legal speak, very cool!

Iskie: please do keep us posted, we all will be poking at our dealer voodoo dolls for ya.. grin! I wish you luck & a quick and happy resolution!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Iskie- Know how you feel - I work for an un-named Oriental government and things do "get lost in the translation". Good Luck and I hope you get what you're wanting plus a lot extra for your patience (I have them throw in the factory fog lights - while not that expensive to buy they do take a while to install - that way you can beat them up on labour charges)
Ding Ho (Chinese for good luck)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
lon777: cool thought & suggestion.. we are all with you Iskie.. wishing and hoping all goes well... Good Luck..

·
Registered
118 Posts
you can often beat the prevailing interest rates. I just got 4.25% through the dealer on my Element I bought yesterday while my credit union is sticking to 4.9%. Not a great difference, but over the period of the loan it saves some money.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
utahrex: congrats, but also some of those rates are also regional.. they are kind stiff about those things where I am. (I love in the bank card state, we are the main base zone for MBNA and a couple other big bank cards, sigh). Again Congrats good deal!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Before I bought my Element, I went online to get the e-mail addresses of all the Honda dealerships in my area. I then contacted each one and when one gave me a price, the next one was there to match or possibly beat it. I was lucky because I was contacted by a dealership as soon as an orange one came in. I also contacted different banks for interest rates which helped alot since they tried to stick it to me at the dealership! I got great deals, all from the comfort of my computer!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts