Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
U-Turn Clicking - AWD?

When I do a sharp turn (especially, a u-turn) there is a clicking or rubbing type of sound that comes from underneath the Element. I've taken it to a Honda Dealership and they claim nothing is wrong with it. They've stated that it's part of the All Whell Drive (AWD) system and the sound is louder then normal because there is no carpet insillation.

Can anyone elaborate on this or tell me if this is not right?

Thanks!

MC

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
"clicking" may be CV joint related....especially if the noise is at the front.

If it is "rubbing" grinding, groaning, vibration type thing (espeially if you can tell the sound is near the rear) this is prolly a result of the rear differential fluid breaking down.

If you haven't had the rear diff fluid replaced in the last 30k miles or so I highly recomend it...it is a cheap and easy procedure that should be performed often anyway.

Good luck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"clicking" may be CV joint related....especially if the noise is at the front.

If it is "rubbing" grinding, groaning, vibration type thing (espeially if you can tell the sound is near the rear) this is prolly a result of the rear differential fluid breaking down.

If you haven't had the rear diff fluid replaced in the last 30k miles or so I highly recomend it...it is a cheap and easy procedure that should be performed often anyway.

Good luck.
Yes, it's the second thing you've described. The "rubbing, grinding, groaning, vibration type thing." However, don't you think the dealership should have said this to me as well? LOL!

I only have 51k on the Element and I have never changed this any ways so I will do this first to see if it helps before going back to the dealership!

Thanks man! I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
So glad you guys mentioned this and provided the link (Thanks to Aprillaguy for that effort in pics et al back in 06).

Will be dropping off the E at the trusted local neighborhood shop within a week or two to have both the AT and the differential fluids changed as I cross over 30k miles. (I didn't let the dealer do it on recent visit due to the big price...these guys will do it for half...and one of these days I'll actually have time to do some of these things myself I hope.)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Will be dropping off the E at the trusted local neighborhood shop within a week or two to have both the AT and the differential fluids changed as I cross over 30k miles.

Make sure they don't use regular gear lube in the rear- you need the Dual Pump II fluid. Might be worth picking up ahead of time so it's ready for them.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
don't you think the dealership should have said this to me as well? LOL!
Yup...it has only been an issue since the first CR-Vs rolled over 30k miles back in the flippin' 1990s. Some of the "better" dealerships figured it out after a few years. :rolleyes:

Rememer the "experience" next time ya need service. :wink:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again!

Yup...it has only been an issue since the first CR-Vs rolled over 30k miles back in the flippin' 1990s. Some of the "better" dealerships figured it out after a few years. :rolleyes:

Rememer the "experience" next time ya need service. :wink:
I picked up all of the things I need to do this myself. Forget the dealer! I just need to get over my hands getting dirty and learn to do these myself.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha ha! Thanks everyone!

I followed the instructions, changed the rear differential fluid and guess what????? NO MORE NOISE!!!! Sweet, now I need to go throw a big rock through the windown of my local Honda dealership. They told me it was "part of the AWD system" and it's perfectly normal. LOL!

Michael

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Sweet, now I need to go throw a big rock through the windown of my local Honda dealership. They told me it was "part of the AWD system" and it's perfectly normal. LOL!
attach a note (or just mail it via the post office so ya don't get arrested) to the dealership/service manager....let them know how sucky their service department is and that you'll be taking your service work and other business elsewhere.

You might get a cupon for a free oil change (not that you'd wanna go there to use it) or some sorta free-be that you can give to one of your neighbors you don't like. :wink:

Oh yeah....share with us the dealership name so others can steer clear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts