Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought my 97 saturn to them it had 80k miles but awesome condition we still had some payements left i thought maybe with the 2004's coming out and being more money we could get a 2003 easier Wrong! First they greeted us and asked us if we were "expecting" meaning my wife is pregnant woops ( we both aren't thin but come on not the question to ask) then they were like 1800 for the trade 5.9 % couldnt get me into an ex for less than 420 a month wouldnt budge of the sticker. I left in shock and disappointment I really wanted an element but i guess it wasn't meant to be

·
Registered
227 Posts
I feel you. My dealer offered $3000 for my 2000 Saturn (the lesson: don't buy a Saturn) Well, I owed $7500. We were able to get the dealer to give us $7500 without adding it to the loan, Yes, I am sure. We were able to do that plus talk them into giving us AC, roof rack, muds, and keyless "free." We were able to get a payment at $348 but we also have a DX. It took 8 hours in the dealership and taking a lunch break to think, we knew we wanted it, but also wanted them to sweat a little seeing us leave.
Dealers can be tough to stomach sometimes. I recommend you go somewhere else if you have the option. We have 3 or 4 in the metro Atlanta area, I would go to another one and tell them out of the gate how poorly you were treated (w/o specifics) and I'm sure they will jump hoops to get your business. Have a number and stick to it, walk again if you must.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply i only owed 1700 they only wanted to give me 1800 i was just floored! oh well there are alot of dealerships to deal with we'll just be patient

·
Registered
43 Posts
my payment are $393 and they offered me $5000 for my 2000 Eclipse it had only 27,550 miles on it i got ready to walk out and they got my trade up to $9,000 i owed $7500 on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to email my quandry to other area honda dealers w/o the gory details just the figures and they have me driving home in a SOP ex awd for 399 a month 1000/ down and 2200 for car I'm a little bit more optimistic especially if i can come home tomorrow with this!!! thanks for your help everyone!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't forget you can always sell your car. My dealer was only going to give me $500 for my '94 Caravan. I politely declined and sold it myself. I wound up getting $2,100. I know selling a car can be a pain, but all you have to do is beat what the dealer is offering and you've done well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You should still be able to get financing elsewhere for around 4%. Heck I just re-fi'd my other car for 4.75%.

Unfortunately, trade-ins are terrible now:

1) Leases have flooded the used car market.
2) Cheap financing and incentives that make new GMs inexpensive also sap value from your Saturn.
3) Number two also means most people are upside down in their cars because they over buy and extend payments over 5-10 years.

Now is a very good time to buy a used car. We initially were shopping exclusively for a used car, then found the Element and that was out the window.

This should be fair warning that no car is an "investment". They are all depreciating assets.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here are a couple of things we learned from our dealership experience:

1. Buy at the end of the month, the last day even. Dealerships always want to have high sales numbers at the end of each month. The more cars they sell, the more cars they get, the more money they get. The last day of the month is the last day to get their numbers up.

2. Go through internet sales dept. We got our prices through cars.com and met with the dealer after they contacted us via email. You come across as more informed and less apt to pay way above invoice. Also, the internet guy said he doesn't get paid on commission, his success rate is based on number of sales. The floor guys are the ones who make the money for the dealership. I don't know if this is true, but we left happy with our purchase.

Before tax and license, our GG EX with no extra frills cost $19580.

·
Registered
227 Posts
We also went through the internet sales dept.

10 YEARS?!? Is anyone really going over 5? Please say no.

Ah but the Saturn thing is true psm0110, I went with the Saturn (GM) car because they were able to get my payment really low and that's what I needed in college. They made it cheaper to go w/ new than used. That is why I went upside down but I did think my car would be worth at least the remainder of the purchase price when my "Smart Buy" lease was up... but I think what you said rings true, GM's incentives are killing their resale.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My payment is $300 a month, no $4 down, and I got the EX for 19,000.
I walked in and told them exactly what I wanted and how I wanted to pay, I went straight to the Sales Manager as well. He knew my last name because my dad bought his 2003 CR-V there as well... :lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
If you are able to bank a credit union check them out. My credit union is offering 4% this month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts