Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Uhaul hitch that I've had on my '05 for almost 4 years has been getting really, really rusted. The paint has completely rusted off on the receiver end and the rust has spread through to the back where it is bolted and welded. I've been looking at it rusted for like a year now - and every time I looked I got mad because I take such good care of my E's appearance and it sucks to have a rusty hitch!

So anyways... last week I was looking through my E's maintenance log and I came across the $5 Uhaul warranty I had bought when I purchased the hitch. It says that it covers corrosion (rust). So I figure there must be some stipulation where it says it has to be worse than cosmetic rust - but I don't see that anywhere on the paper.

So I figure it's worth a try to go down to Uhaul and see what they say.

Me: Hey, so I have a lot of rust on my hitch and my warranty says that rust is covered under the warranty.

Jerk: Well we can't replace a hitch just because there's rust on it. It has to negatively effect the performance in order for us to replace it.

Me: Yeah, that's what I thought - so I looked on the warranty and it just says that corrosion on the hitch is cause for a replacement hitch.

Jerk: Well again, I can't give you a brand new hitch just because of rust. But I can put it up in the bay and look to see if the rust is bad.

Me: Okay.

5 minutes later...

New Uhaul Guy: So let's set you up with any appointment for a new hitch.

Me: Oh, so the rust was really bad?

New Uhaul Guy: No, but your warranty covers you for rust so you get a new hitch. The only thing you'll have to pay for is $5 for a new warranty.

Me: Sweet, how about Wednesday?

So.. if all goes well.. I will be getting a new hitch on Wednesday. I will snap some pics of the rusted bumper before they take it off and try to post them on here. I just wanted to share with you guys that the $5 warranty is totally worth it!

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Good for you sarahp!

I have found that all hitches rust to some extent. I will be interested in seeing your pictures. Every year I brush rust neutralizer on my hitch and repaint any areas where the paint has peeled off. It's only surface corrosion so it doesn't effect the integrity of the hitch but, like you, I don't like the look of a rusty hitch.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pics

I went to Uhaul today and had it replaced. I snapped a couple of shots of the old hitch right before I went:

DSC00449.JPG

DSC00450.JPG

DSC00451.JPG

Did it absolutely have to be replaced? No. But that's what I bought the warranty for. The guy said it was a pain in the arse to get the old hitch off! But he got it... and it's done... so I'm happy. Hopefully this one can stay rust free! (Or at least not get as bad)!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i really only bought it because it was $5... otherwise i never really think about it. most of my electronics aren't under warranty because they are always so expensive. (knock on wood....)

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Wow that is way rustier than either of our receivers and we live in Northern Minnesota where the roads are heavily salted several months of the year.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So my Uhaul hitch that I've had on my '05 for almost 4 years has been getting really, really rusted. The paint has completely rusted off on the receiver end and the rust has spread through to the back where it is bolted and welded. I've been looking at it rusted for like a year now - and every time I looked I got mad because I take such good care of my E's appearance and it sucks to have a rusty hitch!

So anyways... last week I was looking through my E's maintenance log and I came across the $5 Uhaul warranty I had bought when I purchased the hitch. It says that it covers corrosion (rust). So I figure there must be some stipulation where it says it has to be worse than cosmetic rust - but I don't see that anywhere on the paper.

So I figure it's worth a try to go down to Uhaul and see what they say.

Me: Hey, so I have a lot of rust on my hitch and my warranty says that rust is covered under the warranty.

Jerk: Well we can't replace a hitch just because there's rust on it. It has to negatively effect the performance in order for us to replace it.

Me: Yeah, that's what I thought - so I looked on the warranty and it just says that corrosion on the hitch is cause for a replacement hitch.

Jerk: Well again, I can't give you a brand new hitch just because of rust. But I can put it up in the bay and look to see if the rust is bad.

Me: Okay.

5 minutes later...

New Uhaul Guy: So let's set you up with any appointment for a new hitch.

Me: Oh, so the rust was really bad?

New Uhaul Guy: No, but your warranty covers you for rust so you get a new hitch. The only thing you'll have to pay for is $5 for a new warranty.

Me: Sweet, how about Wednesday?

So.. if all goes well.. I will be getting a new hitch on Wednesday. I will snap some pics of the rusted bumper before they take it off and try to post them on here. I just wanted to share with you guys that the $5 warranty is totally worth it!
How much did it cost to install back then?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
My wifes hitch looked like yours did. I sprayed it with the Truck bed liner ( Black ) in 06 after cleaning off the rust. It still looks good. When I installed my hitch, I coated it with the same thing before it got too dirty. It's still holding up well also. I love that stuff.

Dom

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out for you. I need to take mine over to U-Haul also. We got ours a couple years ago and mine is rusted to the point where I can barely get my bike rack on and off.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I used to work for Uhaul when I was in school. That $5 warranty is definitely worth it. It covers everything and is a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yeah, it has to be installed by the uhaul dealer. I think it has to be purchased within 24 hours of the install but I could be wrong. It's been a few years since I worked there.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Finally got myself to Uhaul and they replaced mine too, no questions asked. I just told them that it was rusted to the point that I had to struggle to get my bike rack in the hitch and they schedule an appointment and ordered my hitch. They didn't charge me for labor and they carried over my old warranty to the new one so it cost me $0. They are slow and inefficient, but they did a good job and it was free, so no complaints from me. I am definitely going to spray my new one with a rubberized underbody coating and keep a hitch cover in it all the time.

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts