Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I need ideas please. I have a work task that basically involves me sitting on the tailgate and handing things out to people, rain, wind, or shine. So I need protection from weather.
I nixed the idea of using my cabana. If I pull up the sides and just use the roof portion, it's barely giving added coverage, and that part won't be waterproof either. People also need to find me so I can't hide behind the cabana curtain. Most people are already too stupid to find me without any cover.

My thought so far was a large patio umbrella, attached to the E/tailgate(?) somehow. If I had it on a ground post, then I need to haul an annoying base everywhere, and it would probably bang against the hatch in light wind. It could either be adjustable for time of day, or maybe I could add a second umbrella and both would cover everything. I'm also thinking an umbrella would be super easy/fast setup/takedown. Just whatever attachments, then extend/retract umbrella.
Attachment ideas so far are bungees, or post diameter clips.

I searvhed here and google, but didn't see and leads yet. 馃

Registered
2010 EX AWD Omni Blue
I have actually put some thought into this. The only thing I have come up with is a support rod or board attached and cantilevering off a roof rack to support the umbrella toward the top and possibly a base at the bottom held down by the rear tire all at a preferable angle.

Registered
Is a cabana different from one of those tailgate pop-up tents without sides? Seems like it would be super easy to get one of those and move it so it extends over the back of the Element's hatch. Easy accordion setup and breakdown.

I'm also seeing on Amazon several "SUV Canopy" options that is basically the idea above but instead of four legs it has two and the other side attaches to the SUV.

Registered
Buy 2 10' electric conduit pipes. Canterlever them off of your luggage rack. This will give you about 5' of overhang. Drape a tarp or the real clear plastic sheets over the conduit pipe. It will give you a roof and sides. Sit on the tailgate and wait for the folks to come to you.

Registered
I need ideas please. I have a work task that basically involves me sitting on the tailgate and handing things out to people, rain, wind, or shine. So I need protection from weather.
I nixed the idea of using my cabana. If I pull up the sides and just use the roof portion, it's barely giving added coverage, and that part won't be waterproof either. People also need to find me so I can't hide behind the cabana curtain. Most people are already too stupid to find me without any cover.

My thought so far was a large patio umbrella, attached to the E/tailgate(?) somehow. If I had it on a ground post, then I need to haul an annoying base everywhere, and it would probably bang against the hatch in light wind. It could either be adjustable for time of day, or maybe I could add a second umbrella and both would cover everything. I'm also thinking an umbrella would be super easy/fast setup/takedown. Just whatever attachments, then extend/retract umbrella.
Attachment ideas so far are bungees, or post diameter clips.

I searvhed here and google, but didn't see and leads yet. 馃
Check out https://www.summitracing.com/parts/nap-61500/overview/year/2007/make/honda/model/element

I love mine.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
First off, task was relocated slightly and now I face North instead of South, so I am fine except in death-heatwave or biblical flood. So I don't really need this right now, but I appreciate all the replies.
I have actually put some thought into this. The only thing I have come up with is a support rod or board attached and cantilevering off a roof rack to support the umbrella toward the top and possibly a base at the bottom held down by the rear tire all at a preferable angle.
I thought about this, but I would probably anchor the pole on the tailgate. Anchoring to wheel is a bad recipe.

Used a tarp with the Cabana poles a few times last year as a basecamp against the rain...
On a hard surface. Staking would be an issue.

Is a cabana different from one of those tailgate pop-up tents without sides?
I have no idea what you mean "tents without sides".

Buy 2 10' electric conduit pipes. Canterlever them off of your luggage rack. This will give you about 5' of overhang. Drape a tarp or the real clear plastic sheets over the conduit pipe. It will give you a roof and sides. Sit on the tailgate and wait for the folks to come to you.
This might be simple enough to work, but no luggage rack on mine.

The outside tent is along the lines of what I was wondering, but couldn't find a good example until you posted.

Am I the only one who thinks he is dealing drugs out of the back of his E? :unsure::cool:
Legit branded packaged merchandise, but the other people also doing this get this assumption constantly. People refuse to pick up what they were sent to pick up. They freak out. They leave. WE get a good laugh, then either their boss sends them back, or they get fired for being too stupid and we never see them again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts