Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm making too much of this, but I don't want to poke a hole in my floor.
I need some advice on how to run the wires for a couple of outlets from the center console under the plastic floor to the edge near the sub-woofer enclosure. I tried using a coat hanger, but it just keeps bending back due to the tight space. FYI moving from center console to the dash. I'm a little leary of trying to lift the floor with a screw driver etc. to gain some more access. I took the outer cover off the sub, but it didn't give me any extra leeway with the floor.
Thanks Josh

·
Registered
68 Posts
Maybe I'm making too much of this, but I don't want to poke a hole in my floor.
I need some advice on how to run the wires for a couple of outlets from the center console under the plastic floor to the edge near the sub-woofer enclosure. I tried using a coat hanger, but it just keeps bending back due to the tight space. FYI moving from center console to the dash. I'm a little leary of trying to lift the floor with a screw driver etc. to gain some more access. I took the outer cover off the sub, but it didn't give me any extra leeway with the floor.
Thanks Josh
Use an electrician's fish tape. You'll need a short one (they are most commonly sold in 50 foot or 100 foot lengths), because you have to use the back end of the tape. The back end is flat, the front end (which is normally used) is folded over to form a hook. I found a 10 footer at the dollar store that was perfect for this. You'll have to drill a hole in the back end to attach the wire. Usually you attach it to the hook on the front end, but you can't get the hook under the floor mat.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Under floor wiring

Hey thanks for the response. Couldn't find a 10 ft fish tape, but I stumbled across something in my garage that worked great. A 30 inch long 1/2 inch zip tie, flat, slick, semi rigid, done in 45 seconds. Off to airport the rest of the wiring will have to happen in a couple days when I get back.
Josh

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's great. The zip tie is a little thicker than the fish tape, but all that counts is whether or not you can snake it under the mat.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I use the large zip ties to fish wires all the time. I cut the locking end off and drill 3 or 4 small holes in one end. I can feed the wire(s) that I want to run through the small holes and then just pull it through. Obviously, you can just tape the wires to it also. Either way, it can be your best friend when doing installs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts