Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my 2008 Element today and they asked me if I wanted undercoating to protect from sand, rust, etc. They were asking to do it for $250 but I told them I'd get back with them. Is this worth it in anyone's opinion?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Where do you live and what type of undercoating will they apply? Here in Ontario with the heavy salt use in the winter, many people oil spray their cars. Rubber type undercoat can actually trap moisture and promote rust.

Mike

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
you can buy under coating for $8 a can at Pepboys.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Don't do it.

Dealer-applied undercoating is not necessary on modern vehicles, "modern" meaning anything after 1980 or so. Also, an imperfect job - more likely than not due to the techniques used - can result in far worse long-term damage due to trapping road salt in voids.

Dealer "undercoating", like "paint protection" and "Scotchgard", are what are called "packs" - services of trumped-up or even questionable value that costs the dealership very little. IOW, it's just another opportunity for them to get into your wallet.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
yup added costs..just like Dealer Prep. Or Adjusted Market Value...Tell them to stick it !

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nope

I'll confirm what some others are saying. I've owned a LOT of cars since 1965...been in the collision repair business since 1967. Cars today...certainly Honda products need no additional rustproofing. Oftentimes, additional coatings can indeed trap moisture in "voids"...promoting corrosion. So.....my answer is certainly "Nope". Had an additional thought....my '98 Civic that I purchased new, just turned 99,000 miles today...always garaged, but always driven in bad weather.....doesn't have a speck of rust anywhere that I can see. My wife recently backed over a bush that scraped the undercarriage...so I jacked the car up and checked to make sure everything was fine underneath. The underside of that car is still amazing.....just the factory undercoating and factory paint. Honda does indeed build a fine product....but you know that!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts