Honda Element Owners Club banner

Underdash work platform

3K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  psschmied 
#1 ·
#8 ·
I think the appropriate line is "strong back + weak mind = brutal life".

When doing mods to an Element ceases to be enjoyable, it's unpaid work. When doing such work injures you, it's very expensive unpaid work. As you get older and more aware of your own personal frailties, you become more willing to accept assistance in any form that helps you enjoy life.

#5 ·
My back and neck still bother me from the last time I did dashboard diving, months ago. I was looking for a used ironing board and a stool to help when I do the wiring mods for DRLs when I saw this. I'm hoping that they carry it at one of the HF stores around Chicago or Rockford.

#6 ·
Good idea...and the low price actually suprises me.

My thought on a next evolution of something like this would be a rolling version. Think of those hospital bed tables but with enough structure to hold a person...wheels just roll right under the car. You roll yourself in and out via arm power...maybe even a handy slide out tray to hold tools and the assorted screws, etc.

But as is...a good idea indeed.

Thanks for posting!

#9 · (Edited)
Sometimes simpler is better. I think it's an elegant solution, an improvement over my original ironing board and stool idea, and it should work with most passenger vehicles.

The other "leg" is the threshold of the vehicle door running across the full width of the board, directly under where most of your weight is, which is more stable than any reasonably size ground-based leg could be. I like the idea of it being stationary with minimal footprint.

#10 ·
For the money, I would just buy one and be done with it. :rolleyes:

Of course, anyone who happens to have a 'weight bench' laying around in the garage might be able to 'mod' that. ;-)

Seriously, getting under the dash was a lot easier 25 years ago.... :-(

#14 ·
So, why did you get an Element EX with AWD and AT? You also had Model A's with crank starters.

Personally I prefer NEW cement blocks for that new block smell. :lol:

#22 · (Edited)

Attachments

#27 ·
I thought about buying one of those about a year and half ago.....they were available from one of the places that sell gear/tools to car audio installers. I thought about how ofter I get up/down and the possibility of knocking it over and possibly damaging a customers car and decided to pass. They are much cheaper now and I would consider trying it because it wouldn't be that big of a loss if I didn't like it. Seriously though, there is nothing like your feet on the floor, you lower back on the door threshold and your shoulders on the floor of the car....it's great :rolleyes:

#30 · (Edited)
No, but you could try backing into the same parking space, which would put you out of harms way. :wink:

#36 ·
Most of what HF carries are tools, but they also carry lawn furniture, kites, model airplanes, plans for woodworking, trailers, auto accessories and many other items that appeal to people who enjoy doing some sort of mechanical work. Most of the HF tools are basic, even crude but well built and good values. It's a great source if you want to equip an amateur or light duty workshop, particularly if you can take advantage of their sales.

Frankly their website is awful, their mail out catalogs present a better picture of the range of things they offer, but are as disorganized as the old JC Whitney auto parts catalogs of the 1970's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.