Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The TSX guys are installing RSX Type-S crank pulleys in their cars so I did some research & thought it would be a good up grade for us too.
I got a K24A2 crank pulley & its identical to the K24A4 crank pulley in size & weight.
So I got a pulley of a K20A2 & tried in on my 03 E & it really seems to make a difference. It seems to pull alittle better it does rev faster for sure & as a bonus the stock belt still fits fine.
Using the crank pulley off the RSX keeps the oem damper in play vs all aftermarket pulleys execept for Fluidampr & thats by no means cheap.
I am going to drive if more & report back my thoughts. I also have pulley off a K20Z1 (06 up RSX Type-S) pulley coming next week its the smallest pulley out of the bunch.

Here is a pic & specs of the Kseries crank pulleys with measurments that CalgaryTSX put together over on TSXClub.
Here is a link to his org post on TSXClub
http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-engine/41656-tsx-k24-crankshaft-pulley-damper-technical-info.html
Stock TSX steel crank damper dia------ 6.125", 4.6 lbs. (TSX & Element)
Stock K20A2/PRB steel crank damper----5.80", ___ lbs. (2002-05 RSX-S)
Stock K20Z1/PRC steel crank damper----5.40", 4.2 lbs. (2005-06 RSX-S)

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Nevermind, re-read your post and answered my noob questions. I thought you were changing the balancer too.:? Keep us posted, I'm interested.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I could have explained the damper more too. If you didn't already know the oem crank pulleys on most Honda motors have a rubber damper in the middle of it. Most of the aftermarket pulleys on the market are made from a solid piece of metal with no damper. There is an argument that you don't need the damper if the crank is balanced. Well I have seen damage with my own eyes to B-series bearings with aftermarket crank pulleys installed. The K-series is a different motor but Honda still chose to use the damper so I myself am more comfortable keeping that in place by using an OEM pulley. Besides you can get a used OEM pulley for around $60 vs $200 or so for aftermarket.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm interested also . How much improvement all around , and how did it effect your gas MPG ?

RUBY
I just installed this today. lol it will take a cpl tanks to get an idea on the mpgs as the throttle responce seems better hence I have been playing with the throttle some today & thats gonna hurt my mpgs alittle.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Still not understanding your post , are you saying that Honda uses a rubber damper as opposed to a solid pulley ? I was interested in the middle (RSX-S)and thought you were going to install and report on this ? I totally agree with using a OEM balancer , hence the harmonic balancer , balancing out the crank for smooth performance .

RUBY

·
Registered
556 Posts
That's really good find looking forward to seeing results as well as the OBX header. :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ruby yes I have the stock crank pulley like the one in the middle of the pic on my E now. Its from 02-05 RSX Type-S with a K20A2. The 05-up RSX Type-S has a K20Z1 with a smaller crank pulley I have one of those coming next week to try out. I will also see if you can still use the stock belt of it you have to use a shorter one.
The stock crank pulley on all K-series motors have a rubber damper or harmonic balancer imbedded in the middle of them.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Thanks for the part # , I'll check with my guy on tues , I just recently changed my timing chain , so the crank bolt should come off easy !

RUBY

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think you explained it fine, I just can't read as fast as you type!?!?!

Do you have a "Scanguage" or something to monitor various parameters while driving? I'm just curious what effect this will have on alternator output, P/S and A/C (if any).

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No Scangauge but I have a Pioneer AVIC D3 & it has voltage readout. This is 100% butt dyno feedback lol.
Alt,Pwr steering, & AC are all going to be affected to a degree because their respective drive pulleys are slowed down. My alt still charges fine its going to be idle to low rpm that you might have a problem. AC still works great no noticeable loss there. Thats one thing I can't live without lol. and I can still drive just fine so the pwr steering pump is ok.
When I get the Z1 pulley I would expect to see alittle difference in charging but pwr steering & AC should be fine.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Changing the timing chain , is a maintenance item . So much has been talked about , whether to change it or not , it is recommended to be changed @ 110k , so upon inspection (remove valve cover check timing marks) pretty simple , I noticed it was off (chains do stretch)so I changed it , cost 80 bucks and three hours of my time . I will say that since the new timing chain was installed , I have better acceleration , gas mileage back to 21 mpg . I do not recommend this for the DYI'er , just getting the crank bolt off will kill you ! But if you know what you're doing it's pretty easy , so why not !

RUBY

PS , I have 120k and use Mobil clean 5000 5w/20 and A01 or wix filters ONLY

·
1,049 Posts
jesbecause said:
Changing the timing chain , is a maintenance item .

Incorrect information.

MikeQFB said:
Said before, and repeat as necessary: E's timing chain is not a scheduled service item. With proper care (oil & filter changes) and reasonable vehicle operation (NOT thousands of miles at 5000 rpm), it should last at least 200-250K, right along with other overall engine wear issues. Replace when and only when a problem with it is diagnosed.

Quoted for truth.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok after driving for a few days I am happy with the pulley upgrade.
My Z1 pulley should be here tomorrow :)

·
Registered
556 Posts
Ok after driving for a few days I am happy with the pulley upgrade.
My Z1 pulley should be here tomorrow :)
any updates and where can i buy a pulley?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been fooling with the OBX header lately trying to get a better fit out of it. I am still happy with the pulley upgrade. I have not put the smaller Z1 pulley on yet. I wated to get the header done get a full feel for what its doing.
You can search around on clubrsx & honda-tech for a RSX crank pulley also ebay.
If I notice a difference with the Z1 I will sell the A2 pulley that I have now.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I cannot wait to read about the z1 difference, I can get one from my buddy for cheap, he just did a k series swap into his RHD 95' civic and he has one in his scrap box, do get on this asap, lol, I just want to know if I am gonna need a smaller belt too.
Keep us updated big guy!!!
Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok, so I'm new to all this, i just got an 03 element handed down to me from my dad, so im excited to join this community! but anyways, i figured that upgrading the pulley would be easy and fast, so ya definitely post how the Z1 pulley performs as well as any MPG estimates.

My 03 is an automatic transmission, would that make it harder to change the pulleys? ALSO, there are like, 3 pulleys in total right? the crank pulley, the power steering and AC pulley? am i correct? anyways, my question is are there any options for swapping out the other 2 pulleys as well?

Oh yes, one last question, would the pulley of smaller diameter cause worst gas mileage? and also wouldnt a smaller diameter cause the belt to be loose? how is that problem delt with? Thanks!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Smolt I used the oem belt with the A2 pulley I'm guessing that with the Z1 pulley the belt is gonna have to be replaced. I was kinda hoping that insane_sc would go ahead & put the Z1 on his E & tell us what belt to use lol. I'm gonna try to swap the pulley by this weekend.
I have also wondered if any other oem Honda/Acura pulleys were smaller replacments. But you could use aftermarket power steering & Alt pulleys if you wanted to thay are not dampened. If you have any 12volt acc's IE amps or lights you might want to stay away from messing with the alt pulley.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts