Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of fiddling with this 2003 Element I just bought, I finally figured out that out of the handful of keys I was given with it, that one key ONLY works for the ignition, and another key (a different newly-cut key) ONLY works for the driver's door lock.

So that leaves me with the passenger door and the hatch being unopenable by any key in my possession. Luckily I have programmed remotes, so it's not a huge annoyance currently.

I would like to try to get all the door locks to match the ignition key (which looks to be an original Honda key), and have at least a couple of keys available for when the one key I have is inevitably misplaced/locked in the car.

I know I'll need to get the keys added to the ECM through someplace that has an HDS setup, but as for the physical locks themselves, can I purchase tumblers and have them matched to an existing key at a locksmith or maybe even purchase them pre-keyed by VIN or something?

·
Registered
2007 EX AWD AT; 2008 LX FWD AT
1,793 Posts
You can get new lock cylinders from Honda. A locksmith should be able to match them to an existing key. Call a locksmith and ask them. Call a Honda parts place and ask about whether they could match new cylinders to your VIN.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To purchase tumblers and have them matched to an existing key at a locksmith it's the most convenient solution. It will be the safest, high quality, and at an excellent price. I say this from my own experience. I had a situation similar to yours, and everyone told me that I would have the best result after working on a good locksmith. So I did. I found the locksmiths at a company from my country. I am terrific and work very well. I recommend you to do the same but be careful which locksmith company you address.

___
the link: Grand Prairie - My Local Locksmith

1 - 4 of 4 Posts