Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! So I was talking maintenance with one of my friends today, and we got on the subject of Catalytic converters.

Well.... I'm confused. I know at some point I will need to replace it. So I checked around the web and found honda OEM for about $1000. Well, I checked AutoZone, and they have a universal one that fits the E, list price $200. Umm...Ok?

Why COULDN'T I use the universal? Will my E blow up?

I be needin some advice :D

Thanks Guys.

·
Registered
590 Posts
universal, perfectly fine. from autozone, bad idea. get a quality name brand item, from a reputable source. Magnaflow makes some nice stuff, i installed one yesteday in fact in a VW with a larger down pipe off the turbo.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
universal, perfectly fine. from autozone, bad idea. get a quality name brand item, from a reputable source. Magnaflow makes some nice stuff, i installed one yesteday in fact in a VW with a larger down pipe off the turbo.
Alright, cool. I found a Magnaflow Cat for about $104 :shock:

·
Registered
78 Posts
magnaflow 99354HM (100.00).
its not a direct bolt on, or direct cut and weld, you will need a small amount of pipe to join the gap. I have one on my car works fine, make sure you put anti seize on the o2 sensor threads.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
magnaflow 99354HM (100.00).
its not a direct bolt on, or direct cut and weld, you will need a small amount of pipe to join the gap. I have one on my car works fine, make sure you put anti seize on the o2 sensor threads.
Sweet. I just looked it up, seems like the right choice.
Did you have any issues with the O2 sensor or Check engine light after installation?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sweet. I just looked it up, seems like the right choice.
Did you have any issues with the O2 sensor or Check engine light after installation?
no probs, it worked great. (i didnt put anti-seize on the o2, drove it around the block, removed it to put the new one in, it seized and was a bizzoch to get out, almost ruined the converter).

I ordered it from: http://www.magnaflowplus.com/ViewCart.aspx

·
Registered
23 Posts
stolen cat

Hi guys, my catalytic converter was stolen last night. Other threads are saying that generic cats only last a year. Can you guys chime on on this? Also Im in california, Im having trouble finding a 50 state cat that fits our car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
DIY aftermarket

I found a seller who will ship a magnaflow 99354HM 49state to california, but they warn:

Will pass emissions on OBD1 cars in California, but exhaust shops in California will not install it due to local laws. We can ship to California for off road use. Exhaust shops in California will not install it due to local laws. We will ship to California for off road performance usage, but you will have to install yourself. No returns!

I have a friend who says he can do it. I just wonder if its worth it. Can anyone say how long their aftermarket catalytic converters worked for them?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Only a year and a half on mine so far, but it is working fine. It is probably the cheapest aftermarket cat available (whatever the garage happened to have).

·
Registered
532 Posts
I found a seller who will ship a magnaflow 99354HM 49state to california, but they warn:

Will pass emissions on OBD1 cars in California, but exhaust shops in California will not install it due to local laws. We can ship to California for off road use. Exhaust shops in California will not install it due to local laws. We will ship to California for off road performance usage, but you will have to install yourself. No returns!

I have a friend who says he can do it. I just wonder if its worth it. Can anyone say how long their aftermarket catalytic converters worked for them?
The 49 state cat won't pass Cali emissions.
Did you check a local muffler shop and ask for a universal cat that is 50 state legal?

·
Registered
3 Posts
RedHotDaddy, what did you end up with? I am also a victim of CAT theft in LA and is now looking for my options. Any suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Very sorry to hear about your cat theft. That experience was very stressful and upsetting. I ended up going through my insurance and having a new one installed by the dealer. I also got the catClamp anti theft device. I felt that if it happened again id be even angrier. Cost me my 1000 deductible, but the ending price was around 1500. Sucks cause I'm not sure if a 2003 4wd element is worth 4000.

I think I chose to go legit because there's a chance that it wouldn't pass smog, and because they say the cheap ones don't last very long.

I ended up lowering my deductible on my insurance too.

Let me know if I can help out with any more questions. I remember the dealer had a hard time ordering a new CA cat. Cops, dealer, and muffler shops all said that they had several other elements with the same thing that week. So frustrating.

I hope you have better luck.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Just a suggestion

I purchased a walker cat #53478, from rock auto. This was a direct fit for the element and passed NYS inspection at my local Honda dealer. If it passed NYS, I'm sure it should pass California inspection (just a suggestion). Bought it for $269, and I recieved a $50 rebate.

HERE IS THE TRICKY PART. NOBODY WILL SHIP THIS ITEM TO NY or CA. SO I HAD IT SHIPPED TO NJ. GET MY DRIFT.......

Just remember, everything in NJ is legal, as long as you don't get caught.......

Good luck

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know there's a special physical marking on the CA compliant cats and if your smog shop doesn't see the making you will fail the smog test. My mechanic friend said we could dirty up the cat so it doesn't look new, and his thinking was that smog shops never put the car on a lift, so how would they know? I decided I didn't want to be stressed out that my car won't pass smog and if it didn't, I might have to go through the process again. There are times in my life that I want to have luck on my side. Using that luck everytime I got a smog didn't seem worth it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the quick response! And Yes I also found those aftermarket ones that will pass the smog test but not the visual due to the lack of markings on the cat itself. So it is a bummer for us in CA!!! I already contact my insurance and hope the process will be smooth.....and of course I will get the catclamp or something to secure it as well.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
You just tell them it got replaced a few years ago when they didn't have the California BS going. I figured mine came from AZ so i don't mind going over there and getting one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts