Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Element Lovers!

I am replacing my driver side door lock actuator for the first time. I‘ve been able to remove all fix points on the door lock mechanism. M I am not able to unlatch the rod running to the door handle latch. I’ve tried to unlatch it with the door lock both bolted and unbolted to the door. I’ve tried using needle-nose pliers, a flat head screwdriver, and used my hands to push the rod and clip oppositely. Does anyone know how to unclip this rod? In the pictures, I’ve circled the latch in yellow.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 & 2004 Honda Element
4 Posts
These clips can be fragile but they are also cheap to replace. I would try to hit it with a penetrating oil to see if it loosens up but if it breaks it's not an expensive fix. For my 03, I'm not sure what year you have or if the parts changed over the years, it looks like it would be #30 in the diagram...Part# 72181-SD4-004. Looks like the part is less than $3. The part also shows it was used in almost all of the Honda models for a long time so you could probable find one free in a junkyard.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The clip lifts up off the rod and then you can slide the rod out. The clip will stay attached to the door handle. Try to get a flathead screwdriver or trim fork tool in there and pry it away from the rod in a twisting motion. Can take a bit of doing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These clips can be fragile but they are also cheap to replace. I would try to hit it with a penetrating oil to see if it loosens up but if it breaks it's not an expensive fix. For my 03, I'm not sure what year you have or if the parts changed over the years, it looks like it would be #30 in the diagram...Part# 72181-SD4-004. Looks like the part is less than $3. The part also shows it was used in almost all of the Honda models for a long time so you could probable find one free in a junkyard.

View attachment 203234

Good luck!
Hello Element Lovers!

I am replacing my driver side door lock actuator for the first time. I‘ve been able to remove all fix points on the door lock mechanism. M I am not able to unlatch the rod running to the door handle latch. I’ve tried to unlatch it with the door lock both bolted and unbolted to the door. I’ve tried using needle-nose pliers, a flat head screwdriver, and used my hands to push the rod and clip oppositely. Does anyone know how to unclip this rod? In the pictures, I’ve circled the latch in yellow.

View attachment 203227

View attachment 203225

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Hand and McDirty,
With your help I was finally able to get the latch undone. I don’t think I would have been able to do it without this tool. It gripped on perfectly and popped the latch with little effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts