Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 E with automatic transmission. Has anyone swapped out your 4 speed auto with the 5 speed that came out in 2007? Or are there any interchangeable 5 or 6 speed auto transmissions from other honda models? Are you happy with the swap? Are there any potential problems with this swap?

Here's my sad story...

I took my E to the dealer for regular service. The tech noticed that my transmission case is cracked. The crack is HUGE! I saw it on the lift. Death is imminent. I've been fighting with Honda corporate for a while, but this is a losing battle because there's evidence that the previous owner was in an accident that may have damaged the transmission. How sad!

OK, i'm over it. This is a great opportunity for performance mods!

Thanks for any feedback!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mind you I'm not an expert...but I think the 5 speed auto needs a seperate ECU to work properly. As does getting swaping over to a 5 speed manual.:sad:
There is a website
http://www.car-part.com/
that you can find used transmissions...and a whole lot of other good parts in your area. Check it out.

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
Can't be done, basically, and you're certainly not going to want to pay the tab for somebody else to do it. It's not a drop-in replacement and it's not just the ECU - there are significant electronics and wiring package changes with the 5-sp A/T.

Consider it a great idea and great opportunity ruined by reality. :-(

·
Registered
116 Posts
Decided to add to this thread versus creating a new one. Has anybody had success with this swap? I noticed that post #3 said no but that was 12 years ago. Any update on a potential success story out there? The difference in MPG might be worth this swap in the loong run.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Decided to add to this thread versus creating a new one. Has anybody had success with this swap? I noticed that post #3 said no but that was 12 years ago. Any update on a potential success story out there? The difference in MPG might be worth this swap in the loong run.
From what I read on a Facebook thread back in October 2019, a guy did do this swap with the k24a2 205hp and a etuner. He had the etuner programmed for a RSX 5 speed automatic and it worked

·
Registered
59 Posts
tesujin:

Any chance of ever finding that, or any other bread crumbs? I've kinda been looking into this for my 2004....

I know, folks say to just buy a 2007 and start from there, but I may be a little attached to my car.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Conventional Wisdom aside...... Let say that this actually happened

Let's put on our investigative reporting hats and then lets piece together some "known" information:

-K24A2 engine was used (may be immaterial, but may be important due to the need for a different ECU)
-5 spd automatic transmission from honda element was used. This means it was at least a 2007 5spd AT used.....
-??? ECU was used - with an RSX tuning profile.
-ECU is certainly not from a newer CANBUS element or other vehicle.

Questions:
1) Does the 2007 and forward automatic transmission have the same mounts as previous transmissions?
2) Did the AWD components change between 2007 and earlier element models?
3) What ECU are we talking about here?
a) Was it an RSX ecu from earlier model?
b) Was it the stock Element ECU reflashed with RSX profile (is that even possible?)
c) OR was it an aftermarket unit with RSX profile?
4) What aftermarket ECUs could potentially have been used? I'm not new to wrenching but I am new to tuning. I have read that going with the K24A2 as a performance upgrade can be done without new ECU, but that it requires Kpro to do more tuning, which is not possible unless you have manual transmission. So, is there an aftermarket ECU that could be used to accomplish this?

I know we're probably missing more pieces of the puzzle, but I'm not sure what they are. Anyone know?

I know none of this can be said with certainty, but I'm sure some of our more savvy members that have experience with tuning could probably fill in some blanks regarding what might have worked.

Basically, it's winter and I'm bored. I'm building a real shop at my home for the first time in my life and I need projects! So it doesn't have to make sense to anyone else but me to try this. I've been driving my 2004 E simply because it's been the most reliable vehicle I've ever had, and I guess for now I'd like to keep driving it. The motor sounds a little loose at 185Kmiles and as I have decided to overhaul the undercarriage completely, I thought I might also begin working on acquiring K24A2 and maybe just keep going with this trans swap if it's possible. My main goal would be getting some more power from my E, and some better long distance mileage for the next 200Kmiles.

CM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts