Honda Element Owners Club banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Registered
459 Posts
I use a mild solution of Simple Green, and just wipe them down with that. I just make sure that all areas get equally dampened and then let it dry on its own.

Sometimes I've let it go a little long and they look actually stained with coffee, etc. But then I do my quick wipe down and they do look brand new again.

That's on my EX, which has FXC fabric all around....

· Registered
210 Posts
I found this product called "Spot Shot" it comes in a navy blue can with an orage cap....I bought it at Linens'nThings....but I am sure they carry it at other places too! Check near carpet cleaners and carpet stain sprays.
I have nothing but good things to say for SPOT SHOT, it work's on everything! I was reading this post because out seat in the GGM look like crap! I completly forgot about SPOT SHOT.. I'm gonna have to make a trip to walmart!

· Registered
1,000 Posts
I use a mild solution of Simple Green, and just wipe them down with that. I just make sure that all areas get equally dampened and then let it dry on its own.

Sometimes I've let it go a little long and they look actually stained with coffee, etc. But then I do my quick wipe down and they do look brand new again.

That's on my EX, which has FXC fabric all around....
Not so sure I'd trust simple green on it unless you clean it with lots of water afterwards. That's really a degreaser not a cleaner. Once or twice as a last ditch after mild soap fails, but not as a regular thing. Full strength it's been known to eat the grease out of a bicycle hub. I'm guessing that FXC fabric is petroleum based so degreasers may not be a wise choice.

· Registered
459 Posts
Not so sure I'd trust simple green on it unless you clean it with lots of water afterwards. That's really a degreaser not a cleaner. Once or twice as a last ditch after mild soap fails, but not as a regular thing. Full strength it's been known to eat the grease out of a bicycle hub. I'm guessing that FXC fabric is petroleum based so degreasers may not be a wise choice.
Thanks! That's a good point. I'm going to switch to a mild soap. Actually I'd had the same experience with my bike. The girl at the bike shop recommended using undiluted Simple Green in the chain cleaner in lieu of their expensive solvent. It cleaned the chain AND the inside of the hub, and I had to re-pack it.

I did just go in and read the label. They recommend it for most of the car interior, but caution not to use it on plastic dashboards, so ........... Thanks.

· Registered
1,156 Posts
I can't remember exactly what I used but I do remember using a small scrubby brush (with bristles not a scouring pad) to work the solution down into the seats. Don't be afraid to get the area wet with the solution. After all, you want it to get in there and dilute the stain so it'll pull it back out. Just spraying the surface and wiping wont get the stain down deep. I had chocolate ground into my seat and I just scrubbed a little with some type of carpet cleaner and it came right out.

· Registered
13,041 Posts
My hubby "Mr. Jojo" likes to hold his drink cup between his legs and eventually I started to see a round stain on the passenger seat. I gave him a little scolding, and used the cheap Wal-mart carpet cleaner-it cleaned up just fine, and now I have cheap wal-mart seat covers- just in case:)

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

· Registered
76 Posts
Recommendations for rear seats?

Since the rear seats in LX are not the "engineered" Waterproof FXC™ (Fabric for Extreme Conditions) Seat Fabric, are there any recommendations for safely treating or covering them?

IMO, Honda blew it by not having all four seats with the special covering. Where do they think the dogs and kids ride? :rolleyes:

· Registered
1,000 Posts
I kinda always thought that they were figuring the flip up your seats, put a lot of dirty crap in the back of your car, crowd would tend to buy the less fancy (read:cheaper) version and tend to be younger and childless. And the EX crowd would be more the family, less likely to take the seats out, need the baby puke protection crowd. Of course there's lots of threads here on how they got the demographics wrong...but who knows.

BTW, good location you have accordn2me...class of '89...Geaux Tigers! :D

· Registered
76 Posts
GEAUX TIGERS is right!

I kinda always thought that they were figuring the flip up your seats, put a lot of dirty crap in the back of your car, crowd would tend to buy the less fancy (read:cheaper) version and tend to be younger and childless. And the EX crowd would be more the family, less likely to take the seats out, need the baby puke protection crowd. Of course there's lots of threads here on how they got the demographics wrong...but who knows.

BTW, good location you have accordn2me...class of '89...Geaux Tigers! :D
Class of 92 (got a late...as usual...start) here. Love the Tigers all the same. Can hardly wait for the SHIP in NOLA!!! Les Miles has his chance to romp Ohio State. Hope he does it right.

Honda really missed the boat when they didn't put the special fabric, treatment, whatever it is...on ALL the seats. Everyone
needs that! And it's better to have it and not need it anyway. The fabric looks exactly the same. There's no way to tell if it's treated or not. I wouldn't have known had I not read the specs page. My salesman didn't know either.

As for Scotchguard.....I believe I read that you are NOT supposed to treat the special fabric with it. However, my salesman said he knew people who were treating seats with it. Covers wouldn't be a bad idea because they can be removed and washed, except I read that covers will interfere with the airbags. :confused: I don't know what I'll end up doing. Probably nothing.

· Registered
17 Posts
I had this prob a few weeks ago when I drove around with a cold bottle of water between my legs for a little while. Little white rings. I think I just whipped out an old towel, wet it and rubbed it on the spot. Poof! But I'm sure there is a much more complicated and expensive way to deal with any problem and I'm surprised I didn't come up with one of those before trying the towel.

· Registered
63 Posts
I have a theory for why rings form. I thing that dirt/dust builds up on the surface from daily use. When the water lands on the surface it cleans the spot it lands on and washes the dirt away towards the perimeter of the water "bubble". Since the dirt is now concentrated in a smaller area along the perimeter, it looks darker (more dirt packed along the perimeter). That's why for some people, cleaning works well when they wet the entire seat area with cloth. The dirt spreads evenly over the surface instead of concentrating in small spots.

· Registered
531 Posts
Rings

I think there is something about just getting part of the seat wet and letting it dry that makes "rings" form around the wet part.
Yeah. Like. What he said! I'm gonna try that with my new to me 06 which had a driver's window cracked during trip north from NC to ME and has 3 inch strip of 'bathtub ring'. Will try your solution and others.:)

· Registered
419 Posts
This is one the things I don't like about the Element....it's hard to keep the seats clean looking. I hate the seats when they show a ring of "something" that got spilled on them.
What are some of using out there besides what has already been mentioned?????????? HELP!!!!!

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.