Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mothers Back to Black works awesome....very easy to use....just used it the other day and very happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I use Meguiars Mirror Glaze Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner for my trim. Part of pro mirror glaze line. It clean & restore Vinyl & Rubber at the same time.

Personally, I hate shinning looking Vinyl or Rubber protection. This is the most natural looking protection, still left a rich sheen, I every used.

I used to get them from Kragen Auto, but they stop carry them. So I got 1 gallon it directly from Meguiars. They are only $0.27/oz vs. $0.72/oz for the 16oz bottle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry if repost...

I recently used the Meguiars tire shine: "Endurance high gloss" on all my exterior panels.
After been washing, rubbing, claying, cleaning, polishing and waxing my paint, I finally used this tire shine **** on the panels.
The result was extremely perfect, except after a couple of hours, when the rain set in and quite a bit of the oil in the tire product was splashed all over the paint and down the windows! Ten hours of polish, sweat and tears for waste!:-(

Will the same happen to this 303-thing, or is`nt the Meguiars tire product made for that kind of plastic?

Please help:roll:

Best regards from Norway:)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
303 for Me

303 Protectant

I have a 2005 Element with the rare (now discontinued) Blue plastic panels.
As far as plastic panels go, the Blue ones are the most difficult to maintain and keep clean.
Believe me, I've tried everything and the only product that really works is the 303.
I've used Back to Black but on my blue panels but it just pushes the seemingly unremovable road film and underlying dirt around creating swirls and streaks. Yuk!

303 Protectant is expensive and not easy to find.
I had to go to Marine supply store in Marina Del Rey to find it. A medium size bottle cost me $21.

Yeah, but how did it work on those Blue panels?
It worked just great! Spray it on and wipe it off. Removed the dirt and road film in just one application.
It's that simple!

My Blue panels look like new, the original color is back and my E looks beautiful again.
I specifically bought my Blue panel E for it's color which I love.
I've owned it for going on six years and only recently used 303.
Wish I used the 303 from the get go as I've spent a lot of money over the years on Back to Black and long list of other products,
before breaking down and purchasing the more expensive 303 product.

Don't waste your money on anything but the best and for me it's 303.
In the long run it's cheaper and your E will look as nice as the day you bought it.

This photo was taken last Saturday

·
Registered
10 Posts
303 Protectant

I have a 2005 Element with Blue plastic panels. As far as plastic panels go, the Blue ones are the most difficult to maintain and keep clean.
Believe me, I've tried everything and the only product that really works is the 303.

I've used Back to Black but on my blue panels but it just pushes the seemingly unremovable road film and underlying dirt around creating swirls and streaks. Yuk!
303 Protectant is expensive and not easy to find.
I had to go to Marine supply store in Marina Del Rey to find it. A medium size bottle cost me $21.

Yeah, but how did it work on those Blue panels?
It worked just great! Spray it on and wipe it off. It's that simple!

My Blue panels look like new, the original color is back and my E looks beautiful again.
I specfically bought my Blue panel E for the color which I love.
I've owned it for going on six years and only recently used 303.
Wish I used it from the get go as I've spent a lot of money over the last few years on Back to Black and long list of other products before breaking down and purchasing the more expensive 303 product.

Don't waste your money on anything but the best and that's 303.
In the long run it cheaper and your E will look as nice as the day you bought it.
But, I really need to ask, as we got a lot of rain, snow etc here in the north, do the 303 come of the bumpers caused by water and weather?
After the small amount of rain we had here the next day, a lot of the Meguiars tire shine-products oil came down from the roof panels and on to the paint and windows.
I can sweep it off, but back it comes after some water splashing.

303 Protectant = no oily spots all over the car after rain/wash?:|

Thank you:)

Edit: yeah, the blue panels look stunning -when taken care of, like yours:)

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
...and what happends if you get the 303 on your paint/windows? Which kind of bottle do you recommend? Wipes, spray, can?
Nothing happens. Just wipe it off the paint. It's safe and will not effect the paint finish.
As for glass, just use a spray on glass cleaner and wipe it off.

No problem.

PS: The 303 I got comes in a plastic spray bottle.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
But, I really need to ask, as we got a lot of rain, snow etc here in the north, do the 303 come of the bumpers caused by water and weather?
After the small amount of rain we had here the next day, a lot of the Meguiars tire shine-products oil came down from the roof panels and on to the paint and windows.
I can sweep it off, but back it comes after some water splashing.

303 Protectant = no oily spots all over the car after rain/wash?:|

Thank you:)

Edit: yeah, the blue panels look stunning -when taken care of, like yours:)
The 303 needs to be wipe dried immediately and you need to pay a little attention to make sure it's throughly wiped and completely dry.

After it rains I get some drip streaks on the tail gate.
It's mostly due to dirty water draining off the roof and rear hatch glass.
So I do need to reapply afterwards.
But this product is so easy to use. It takes about 15 min. to do all my panels and a little bit goes a long way.

Easy as pie!

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,942 Posts
Who thought the Element had ABS panels?

"Our decision to use polypropylene panels wasn't necessarily economic," says Art St. Cyr, chief engineer at Honda R&D Americas, Raymond, Ohio, and project leader for the Element. "The main reason we put the polypropylene panels on the Element was to make an exterior that was scratch-resistant, ding-resistant, and bump-resistant, and to achieve a two-tone appearance. Cost really wasn't an issue."

Though the Element attracts a broad range of buyers, it's targeted at those who live, or would like to live, an outdoors-oriented lifestyle, and who are looking for an engaging car that's exciting to drive. "The Element is not a sophisticated vehicle," St. Cyr notes. "It's designed to be a fun car."

Honda specified polypropylene for its UV resistance and durability. With its goal of attracting buyers who lead active lifestyles, the automaker wanted exterior panels that would maintain their appearance and resist dents and other blemishes that steel could not. "Our products at Honda are very concept-driven," St. Cyr says. The company's styling decisions and material choices, therefore, reflect the impression it wants a vehicle to make."

·
Registered
98 Posts
303 and water :(

Like Miss Ellie I have an 05 Element with the blue panels, which I bought used a few years ago with horribly neglected (faded) panels. I don't think they had ever had been protected from the sun, and since I park outside 100% of the time, I wanted to try and restore the panels as best I could.

Over the last couple of years I have tried just about every plastic dressing that you can imagine, including 303, and have only found one that I am happy with: Meguire's Ultimate Protectant http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/detail/MEG+G14512

Unlike 303, which seems to run onto the paint and windows if it rains or you wash the car, the Meguire's Ultimate Protectant seems to stay put and the panels continue looking good for weeks. With 303, about the best I could hope for was about a week or so between applications...and once the car got wet, forget about it. The Meguire's product is very creamy (like lotion) and doesn't leave the plastic looking "Armor All'ed" and shiny...just a deep, matte finish and all of the bleached white streaks/fading are gone.

Again, my panels seemed to be unusually weathered from the outset, but this is the only dressing I have found that can last more than a couple of weeks between applications. I highly recommend it.

Brian

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you so much, people:) I will try both of your suggestions, as they both make sense:) All I want is a ok looking, non-running products who lasts more than a rainfall.

Thank you again, Ill complain if non of these work;-)

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,942 Posts
I've been using 303 and only 303 on my panels since I got my E in early 2004, applying it in spring and fall.

My panels' finish looks the same as the set of new roof garnish access panels that I keep in storage, just in case I decide to remove my roof rack.

Formula 303 works by chemically bonding with plastic. It's not intended to make the plastic surface shinier. If applied to clean bare plastic according to directions 303 prevents further UV damage.

I apply 303 one weekend, and use Meguiar's® Gold Carnauba Plus Wax on the painted panels the following weekend. I've had no problems with wax getting on the plastic.

If streaking occurs when exposed to rain 24 hours after applying 303, it's because either the surface wasn't completely clean, or the excess wasn't properly wiped off per the directions.

But 303 won't stick to glass or wax, and it won't reverse damage. If your panels have been damaged by UV or abrasion, all you can do is cover up the damage.

If panels' texture is even across all the panels and still looks dull after washing, considering that the polypropylene used for the panels was selected for UV resistance, I would suspect that some wax product was applied previously, dried out or oxidized, and isn't being removed by the car wash products subsequently used.

I would try using Dupli-Color Grease & Wax Remover on a test patch to see if that's the case. Peanut butter would work, though it would take much longer. If I could clean off all the surface contaminants, I'd use 303, otherwise a panel dressing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've been using 303 and only 303 on my panels since I got my E in early 2004, applying it in spring and fall.

My panels' finish looks the same as the set of new roof garnish access panels that I keep in storage, just in case I decide to remove my roof rack.

Formula 303 works by chemically bonding with plastic. It's not intended to make the plastic surface shinier. If applied to clean bare plastic according to directions 303 prevents further UV damage.

I apply 303 one weekend, and use Meguiar's® Gold Carnauba Plus Wax on the painted panels the following weekend. I've had no problems with wax getting on the plastic.

If streaking occurs when exposed to rain 24 hours after applying 303, it's because either the surface wasn't completely clean, or the excess wasn't properly wiped off per the directions.

But 303 won't stick to glass or wax, and it won't reverse damage. If your panels have been damaged by UV or abrasion, all you can do is cover up the damage.

If panels' texture is even across all the panels and still looks dull after washing, considering that the polypropylene used for the panels was selected for UV resistance, I would suspect that some wax product was applied previously, dried out or oxidized, and isn't being removed by the car wash products subsequently used.

I would try using Dupli-Color Grease & Wax Remover on a test patch to see if that's the case. Peanut butter would work, though it would take much longer. If I could clean off all the surface contaminants, I'd use 303, otherwise a panel dressing.
Ive changed the Meguiars tire shine to Meguiars bumper shine instead. And, the bumper shine comes off the panels as well, but not as much as the tire shine do. I guess it has to dry a bit before trying watering.

If this dosent get better after some rainy days Ill definintly have to try out the 303:roll:

Thanks for everything:) Great help!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts