Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so a sun visor is provided to give shade from the sun... but in most vehicles you can use it to attach the garage door opener or one of those clip-on sunglass holders. Why did Honda make the Element sun visors so THICK that absolutely none of those items can clip on?

Does anyone have any work-arounds for attaching the garage door opener to the visor? Or, do you know of any replacement visors that are thinner and thus more versitile? Let me know!

P.S. I know I could just throw everything in the overhead bin or one of the dash trays but then it all RATTLES and CLANKS! All of which interferes with the great sound from the awesome CD player.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Has anyone tried to remove the airbag / danger of tilting stickers from the visor? Do they come off easily w/o any residue? They make the vehicle look dorky when you leave tthem down.

·
Registered
53 Posts
they are so thick and wide that my visor clip on mirror doesnt clip very well although i pried the clips open and then tried to squeeze shut on visor but looks like it'll fall on my head.
also because visor so wide i cannot put my cd holder with velcro straps on them the straps are now too short.
tjerin maybe if you get good double sided tape or double sided velcro
you can attach garage opener?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Um,maybe its me, but the sun visor does do its job. I think its great for blocking the sun. All of the other stuff (glasses, etc) have a home in the top pocket. I cant fit my CD holder on it either, but the whole CD holder slides nicely into the side pocket. And I don't have to worry about it being an eyesore down there. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems like you understand what I'm talking about! I got the idea last night to check with the dealer to see if any other Honda's have visors that would mount in the Element yet be thinner and thus more functional. If you send me your email address I'll let you know what I find out.

·
EOC Founder, Admin
2,897 Posts
First, let me say that I'm told this is VERY tricky and may leave an image of where the sticker used to be. But, to get it off I have heard of people having success w/ a hair dryer and VERY SLOWLY pulling the stickers off. Again, most say you can still see where the dorky sticker was but others have said they can't really tell.

So, be careful but good luck!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Here's the solution to your garage door opener dilema. On the home page click on links. Go to element-j's how to page. He has very good instructions on to rig your garage door opener to the high beam switch. I did his mod and took me about 45 minutes to an hour to accomplish and it works really slick.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Has anyone found a long velcro strapped CD holder for the thick sun shade?I tried Wal-mart and Target but the straps are too short!

Thanks

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:b54864da03="lon777"]Here's the solution to your garage door opener dilema. On the home page click on links. Go to element-j's how to page. He has very good instructions on to rig your garage door opener to the high beam switch. I did his mod and took me about 45 minutes to an hour to accomplish and it works really slick.[/quote:b54864da03]

I second lon777's recommendation - the high-beam/garage door opener mod on Element-J's site is THE slickest I've seen in a long, long time!

If I only do one mod on every car I own for the rest of my life. -it will be this one! :D

->eMass

·
Registered
957 Posts
[quote:d08e46c355="tjerin"]you can't use it to attach the garage door opener or one of those clip-on sunglass holders.

...I know I could just throw everything in the overhead bin or one of the dash trays but then it all RATTLES and CLANKS![/quote:d08e46c355]
FYI-

The overhead bin door when opened has clips on it for sunglasses - this will obviously keep them from rolling around. You could also use a fabric sunglass pouch and safely throw it in a dash tray or the overhead bin without fear of rattling.

And as I (and others) have said before in this thread - the high beam / door opener mod can be used for the opener.

Lastly - if you want to keep stuff in the dash trays from rolling around and rattling - try using some toolbox or drawer liner cut to fit each tray. This stuff can be found at Home Depot and is cheap.

Hope this helps,
->eMass

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have seen in auto stores and I think Walmart strips of velcro that might be used to lengthen the existing straps on a CD holder/visor. I haven't tried it but it might be useful info to someone out there. :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
i used the holes in the overhead compartment to mount a rear view mirror for the back seat (so see the kids) i used some nylon 1/4 20 nuts and bolts (you don't have to use nylon, i was paranoid about scaring the grill) which fit perfectly through the hex holes provided. it works great. consider mounting your garage opener under the overhead compartment. it won't rattle around or take up any valuable space in the compartment.

also to reduce rattling in the upper compartment i tossed in a handkerchief, which is always a really handy thing to have anyway.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Aesthetically speaking, this still doesn't quite work for me, but here's Dede's practical solution to this dilemna:

The overhead storage bin door is not hampered by this at all and the clip is just tight enough that there are no rattles. Aside from looking a little low-tech, it is very functional and puts the remote back in a familiar location. (I used to keep the garage door opener remote on the left side of the passenger visor in my old pickup.)

·
Registered
359 Posts
I simply purchased one of those zippered multi pouch attachments which fit to the visor with velcro bands. I keep my garage door opener and my EZ Pass in the pouches and it works great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well my visor works fine and it also holds my cd holder. As far as a work around to attach the garage door opener make a new opener clip or drill a hole in the opener and use a self tapping screw to screw it into the visor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The High Beam mod works, definately.

But, here's what I suggest. Go to Home Depot, by one of those small garage door openers and some double-sided sticky tape. Program the small opener, and tape it to the side in the dash compartment to the right of the steering wheel, and to the left of the radio. It works great!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.