Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I changed my oil recently and used the above-mentioned oil for my Element which has about 110k miles on the engine. I have used Synthetic oil for some time now and decided to use the High Mileage this time. My engine had a valve adjustment at 100k and still had a touch of engine noise. Since I changed the oil it is now very quiet. I am pleased but want to ensure High mileage oil is good for the engine and get any thoughts or advice about the High mileage oil or impact?

Gerry M

·
Registered
255 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,484 Posts
I've been using synthetic since my E's first oil change (original owner). Around 100K or so I switched from 5W20 to 0W20 and have had no issues at all. My valves are not uber quiet, but, "noisy valves are happy valves" is what a mechanic friend of mine mentioned and kinda what I "go by". I am careful to listen to them and make sure the noise doesn't get louder, as that can be an indication of other issues (or just need to add a little). My concern is that, since your change to "high mileage" oil and the "sudden" quieting down of the valves, is that the high mileage oil is a bit thicker, thus resulting in the quieter valves. But, this could possibly cause more pressure on the engine inside than is needed, potentially wearing down internal parts sooner. NOT a mechanic, just thinking about the tightness of Honda engines and, if maintained well, may not need such an oil. Hope this helps in your quest.... :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been using synthetic since my E's first oil change (original owner). Around 100K or so I switched from 5W20 to 0W20 and have had no issues at all. My valves are not uber quiet, but, "noisy valves are happy valves" is what a mechanic friend of mine mentioned and kinda what I "go by". I am careful to listen to them and make sure the noise doesn't get louder, as that can be an indication of other issues (or just need to add a little). My concern is that, since your change to "high mileage" oil and the "sudden" quieting down of the valves, is that the high mileage oil is a bit thicker, thus resulting in the quieter valves. But, this could possibly cause more pressure on the engine inside than is needed, potentially wearing down internal parts sooner. NOT a mechanic, just thinking about the tightness of Honda engines and, if maintained well, may not need such an oil. Hope this helps in your quest.... :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply Alaskan, I have been talking to several car owners about high mileage or not and we all seem to come to about the same conclusion. As long as there are not leaking or engine issues don't worry about it. Continue to watch for any issues and continue to change your oil periodically.
Question what is the 0w20 change from 5w20? Why and how does it help? Thanks so much!

·
Premium Member
2007 Element EX TRP
2,484 Posts
Question what is the 0w20 change from 5w20? Why and how does it help? Thanks so much!
It helps mainly on start up (the "0" part). A bit thinner upon start up to get to the vital parts quicker, then levels out to the "20" part as it warms. Up here, when it's VERY cold, getting oil to the vital parts is paramount, as startup does the most damage to your engine. :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2009 E has been very reliable and I am looking to keep it for a couple hundred thousand miles more! Thanks for the discussion.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am still checking the miles per gallon on my E, according to the synthetic oil advertisement yes better mileage but I am not driving near as much due to the pandemic. I will follow up when I have more data, anyone else have mileage data?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its Great that your using Synthetic Oil, but you still need a regular time maybe one a week at first then once a month to check the oil. Even Synthetics evaporate some. I'm run Amsoil in mine since I purchased the second one and with 196,000 miles on her the day someone hit me over the passenger wheel well it ran great. Insurance totaled my 2004 Element AWD EX and she was in great shape and they started at $4000 but double that since our Elements demand a better resale value.
Hope your new one will serve you well,
Chris Wilson

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2004 AWD EX with about 75,000 miles, I am the original owner. I use synthetic oil and have a K&N air filter, seems to get better mileage with that combo. When I bought it I was flying somewhere for work every week so only drove about 4,000 miles per year. I am now 78 and figure the Element and I will age out together. When I am driving it, I am truly in my Element.

·
Registered
20 Posts
"High mileage" is for cars with high miles, not for guys trying to maximize MPG. This oil has more additives in it to keep seals soft and pliable, since they tend to harden (oil leaks) over time. More than the regular oils, that is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts