Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have anyone with an 03 Element used the Ridgeline key? I tried to programmed (unlock/lock/panic) the remote and it didn't work for me. Is there something I could do to get it to work?

·
12,179 Posts
Have anyone with an 03 Element used the Ridgeline key? I tried to programmed (unlock/lock/panic) the remote and it didn't work for me. Is there something I could do to get it to work?
The 2003 EX's used a different keyless entry control module than the 2004-2011 models. You may be able to change the control unit to the later unit.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hello, I'm looking to buy the key to do this mod.. Is this the right key? " Honda Accord CR-V CRV Element Key Remote fob! FCC ID: OUCG8D-380H-A "

Thanks, Tyler!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hello, I'm looking to buy the key to do this mod.. Is this the right key? " Honda Accord CR-V CRV Element Key Remote fob! FCC ID: OUCG8D-380H-A "

Thanks, Tyler!
I used part #35111-SHJ-305 from a 2010 Ridgeline. That is the FCC ID that's on the back of my key.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Old thread, but super helpful. I went and purchased a Ridgeline key the other day from my dealer, and they could not program it to start my car due to the immobilizer chip. I have a 2006 and it wouldn't program the chip as mentioned here earlier. I went home and found the thread which explained why it didn't work but the workaround ( transferring the chip to the Ridgeline key! Genius!!). Thank you guys and gals on EOC for paving the way for me and other noobs to the E. Never these older threads are still very helpful and relevant!

Thanks again,
KSE
image.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an 03 element just got it and it does not have the transmitter under the steering column for the keyless entry. I thought about going with HandA and getting their transmitter that plugs in and uses 2 keyfobs. Has anyone tried a ridgline key/keyfob with this remote keyless setup that HandA sells for the 03 element?

The setup I am talking about is the second item down on this page
http://www.handa-accessories.com/elementelect.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ridegline Key Fob issues

I ordered the Ridgeline key, put the transmitter from the old key into the new one no problem. Got it cut at the dealer for 20 bucks. Starts no problem.
However I can't seem to program the key to unlock the doors? I followed the instructions found here and on Youtube. (essentially turning the key to the II position and pressing the unlock/lock button several times)

I'm curious if anyone else got this far but couldn't program the key. I can't program the old fob either.

I'm guessing I'll have to go to the dealer? Seems strange.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So from what I've read...I'm pretty much out of luck doing this to my 03??...I've added on keyless entry(junkyard pick up :razz: )...but the remote is so worn...would love a all in one key!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Posting here rather than starting a new thread... Most posts reference transferring a chip, what if I want to keep my current (and only) key alive? I have a 2005, and just the one fob and key, and want a second of the riddeline style and keep the ones I have now as backups. Can I have a dealer program the immobilizer? I am fine paying for it, and I can't cannibalize my current key. I haven't seen anything definitive for a 2005 answering this as of yet.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
in the post cited, the author describes the purchase of 2 additional cloned keys before taking them apart to put a chip into a ridgeline key that was also purchased. at least that's what i read.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Posting here rather than starting a new thread... Most posts reference transferring a chip, what if I want to keep my current (and only) key alive? I have a 2005, and just the one fob and key, and want a second of the riddeline style and keep the ones I have now as backups. Can I have a dealer program the immobilizer? I am fine paying for it, and I can't cannibalize my current key. I haven't seen anything definitive for a 2005 answering this as of yet.
A 2005 Element has a Type 3 immobilizer. A 2005 to 2008 Ridgeline has a Type 4 immobilizer, thus they are different systems. A 2005 or 2006 CRV should be a type 3 immobilizer so that should work. Emphasis on should. You would need to source a key, have it cut to your vin key cut number and then programmed. Many auto locksmiths and repair shops have tools that will program the keys.

http://locksmithcharley.com/transponder/acura-honda.shtml

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just want others to know that the transplant method to get a 2005 transponder into an aftermarket Ridgeline key (35111-SHJ-305) still works just fine in 2020.

I got an aftermarket uncut key on eBay for $8, programmed the keyless entry, transplanted the chip from my valet key and got the key cut for $25 at a locksmith. So much better now.

Like others said, the hardest part is getting the chip out. But using a powered multi-tool w/ plunge blade and a painter's 5-in-1 tool, it took less than 5 minutes to open the valet key and get the chip out.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts