Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on taking a long road trip starting in January. I'll have a full size spare outside of the car, and would like to make use of the spare tire well since it will be empty.
I've searched through the site to try and find anyone that has made their own cover for the tire well, and utilized that storage space, but can't seem to find anything!
I will have a bed platform on one half of the build, so it won't be efficient to lift up the cover every time you needed something. I'm guessing it'll be easy enough to trace the existing cover and then make something out of plywood?

Any tips or pointers in the right direction would be helpful!

·
Registered
2003 EX AWD auto
217 Posts
Do you no longer have the original cover? If not, yeah, use cardboard and make a pattern to xfer to wood.

What are you planning on putting in there? If it were me I'd throw in battery/air pack, tire plugs and slime, tarps/blankets, flares/lights, duct/rubberized tape, rope, small BOB, etc. That way you only need to access it in emergencies.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also: There is a video on youtube where a guy removes his tire, pulls out a cut-off tool, and removes the spare tire bracket. That way the spare can be flipped around, and you have now the inside of the wheel to pack your gear. His video shows all the items that he fits in and around the spare, and it is quite impressive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you no longer have the original cover? If not, yeah, use cardboard and make a pattern to xfer to wood.

What are you planning on putting in there? If it were me I'd throw in battery/air pack, tire plugs and slime, tarps/blankets, flares/lights, duct/rubberized tape, rope, small BOB, etc. That way you only need to access it in emergencies.
I've got the original cover. I'd like to make something so that I can access the space without upending my whole bed and storage setup, since it will sit on top of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also: There is a video on youtube where a guy removes his tire, pulls out a cut-off tool, and removes the spare tire bracket. That way the spare can be flipped around, and you have now the inside of the wheel to pack your gear. His video shows all the items that he fits in and around the spare, and it is quite impressive.

Yes, thank you, I've seen this. As mentioned in my post, I will have a full size spare outside of the car so there will not be a tire in this area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am planning on taking a long road trip starting in January. I'll have a full size spare outside of the car, and would like to make use of the spare tire well since it will be empty.
I've searched through the site to try and find anyone that has made their own cover for the tire well, and utilized that storage space, but can't seem to find anything!
I will have a bed platform on one half of the build, so it won't be efficient to lift up the cover every time you needed something. I'm guessing it'll be easy enough to trace the existing cover and then make something out of plywood?

Any tips or pointers in the right direction would be helpful!

if you have half the cover covered with the bed, id make one out of plywood and have it split in 2 halves to access one side....id also put a support in the middle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts