Honda Element Owners Club banner

181 - 200 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Class I Hitch

Can someone tell me how much a Class I hitch can tow? Looking to pull a small trailer for house stuff like mulch and crap, small furniture purchases etc.
The Element is rated to tow 1500 lbs with a recommended tongue weight of 10% of the trailer weight or a maximum of 150 lbs.

Your owner's manual has a complete explanation.

I have towed a 600lb BMW in a U-Haul trailer without a problem. I have a U-Haul Class I Hitch.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sure there is. All it takes is a little trimming on the bottom of the plastic bumper. Well worth it to have a real hitch on your SC. A few on the Forum have done it, look around.
I just am super nervous to trim the bumper, Gary. I tend to screw such "artsy" things up. :|

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yesterday, I installed the U-Haul #78258 Receiver Hitch (2") on my 03 Element. The reason I chose the U-Haul hitch was the fact there is no drilling required. Uses factory holed in the rear bumper frame/body mount. 2 bolts each side with sleeves to prevent any bending of the frame member and a u-bolt on the little tow hook under the spare tub. Took about 30 minutes total with someone to help hold it in place. Going to AutoZone tomorrow to order Reece #74660 trailer wiring harness that plugs in behlind the right rear panel in the back to the Honda trailer lighting connector. Couldn't be any easier. U-Haul wanted almost $100 to install hitch and wiring.

·
Registered
132 Posts
This thread has been helpful in choosing which hitch I'll use. My question is now about wiring. I see U-haul sometimes recommending the "14486" wiring for a mere $16... sometimes they'll recommend the "118465" for $47... and then again there's the Honda factory harness which is over $100.

If I understand correctly, the Honda harness is plug-n-play under the dash (looks like that takes about 5 minutes) and you plug in the rest of the Honda harness in the spare tire well to a factory wiring harness already in place (I'm assuming that the work you do under the dash makes the pigtail in the spare tire well "live").

But when I look at the cheaper wiring harnesses, typically I see E's that have had the interior panels removed and wires spliced to make it work.

Am I misinterpreting things? At first blush, it looks like you get what you pay for - more money for the correct, easy way and less money for the method that takes more physical labor - your choice.

Or do I not understand the options correctly? My trailer is light - no brakes - and simply has a flat four wiring connector for brake lights and turn signals.

·
Registered
132 Posts
U-Haul CQT 118465 Wiring harness rocks!

Well, no one chimed in with any help so I'll provide it myself in the hopes it will help someone in the future. After hitting the U-haul dealer, he was able to figure out that the "118465" is really in their books as a "CQT 118465" for $47. Perfect for my '07! There are two pieces to the install - a diode box which installs under the dash in about 30 seconds, and a harness that simply plugs into the existing harness pigtail in the spare tire well. The pigtail in the spare tire well is 'dead' until you install the diode box under the dash. DONE. The actual work is to run the rest of the wiring pigtail in the back out to the hitch... took some work but I've run it out through the factory rubber grommet for the tailgate (license plate lights) and around the structural member which is actually the bumper.

Unless there's some life issue with the diode box, this is under half price of the Honda parts but 'the same parts' in my view. Excellent!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yesterday, I installed the U-Haul #78258 Receiver Hitch (2") on my 03 Element.

U-Haul wanted almost $100 to install hitch and wiring.
Need to separate hitch and wiring. I had the hitch installed this AM at the local UHaul dealer. $134 for the hitch, $27 install, but $10 back for ordering it off the web. So all of $17 to install the hitch.

Now its an easy install for sure, bolts right on, fit nicely on my 2010.

Their cost on wiring was high, so I ordered a kit off the web, and will install tht myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I just installed the eTrailer wiring kit. You talk about easy. Direct plug in to existing plug in the spare tire hatch, and direct plug in to the wiring under the dash. Took less than one minute to complete, ONCE I found the plug under the dash. Finding the plug took about five minutes.

U Haul wanted $55 to install the wiring harness! WTF? I assume they must use a generic harness. So I would not have U Haul do the electrical installation. On the hitch, its an easy job, but for the $17.50 installation charge, I would let them do it.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Notes from Valley hitch installation

I just installed a valley hitch I got from ebay. I used a craw bar to stretch the holes instead of drilling or grinding. 10 seconds job, no shavings, no sparks or noise.

Rest of the install went well as well. Had a bit of tight fit locating the hitch due the excess undercoating. I used a floor jack to push the hitch in place. The hitch itself shaved off the excess.

Decided not to raise the E or use ramps to reduce the lifting. A creeper did the job just fine.

The job was a piece of cake. Now I need to find the harness...

·
Registered
893 Posts
They fit all years. There are hitches that install inside the support members and there is some longer hitches that install to the outside of the support rails.
But they all fit all years.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
any one got pictures of the hitch from u-haul on their element?
See the pictures above. Uhaul doesn't manufacture them instead they sell hitches by Vallley, Da Lan, Hidden and others with a Uhaul sticker on them. The hitches for the Element are all basically the same.

·
Registered
132 Posts
any one got pictures of the hitch from u-haul on their element?
Here are a few of mine. I had seen a few statements by others that to mount it on an 07-08 SC or all 09's and up, that you're supposed to notch the bumper for clearance. I didn't like that so I redrilled tbe rear mounting holes and made a spacer at the back so it would just fit tightly under the bumper without pushing up against it. You might have to stare a minute at the photos to ignore the trailer and receiver to appreciate where it all is. You can also hit your local Honda dealer and ask for a trailer hitch plug for a Ridgeline which is a drop-in and is cheap as well!

As you can see in the second photo the hitch is flush with the bumper - doesn't stick out and fits nicely.

Attachments

181 - 200 of 215 Posts