Honda Element Owners Club banner

201 - 215 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Here are a few of mine. I had seen a few statements by others that to mount it on an 07-08 SC or all 09's and up, that you're supposed to notch the bumper for clearance. I didn't like that so I redrilled tbe rear mounting holes and made a spacer at the back so it would just fit tightly under the bumper without pushing up against it.
Good work!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here are a few of mine. I had seen a few statements by others that to mount it on an 07-08 SC or all 09's and up, that you're supposed to notch the bumper for clearance. I didn't like that so I redrilled tbe rear mounting holes and made a spacer at the back so it would just fit tightly under the bumper without pushing up against it. You might have to stare a minute at the photos to ignore the trailer and receiver to appreciate where it all is. You can also hit your local Honda dealer and ask for a trailer hitch plug for a Ridgeline which is a drop-in and is cheap as well!

As you can see in the second photo the hitch is flush with the bumper - doesn't stick out and fits nicely.

thanks watt-man. do you also have a bike rack for the hitch and also which one?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Has anyone actually installed a uhaul wiring harness (part number14486) on an 05. I am tempted to do it but I'm wondering if anyone has done it so I know where to splice and what to look out for. I did a bit of searching and haven't found anyone using the Uhaul harness.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone actually installed a uhaul wiring harness (part number14486) on an 05. I am tempted to do it but I'm wondering if anyone has done it so I know where to splice and what to look out for. I did a bit of searching and haven't found anyone using the Uhaul harness.

Thanks.
I used a different wiring kit from etrailer with a Battery+ wire but the installation is the same. It's a lot more work than installing the OEM wiring kit from Honda for sure. Here are the steps I took for the installation which was about 3 hours.

1. Remove REAR CARGO COVER & REAR TRIM COVER.
2. Remove both REAR SEATS.
3. Remove/Loosen REAR SIDE TRIM PANELS on both sides (I did not remove these panels completely but all the screws and bolts holding them in place were removed so that I could loosen the panel sections towards the rear to get enough working room).
4. Mount the GROUND wire from the MODULE to OEM grounding location on the driver side once the rear side trim panel is out of the way. I recall it was a 10mm nut that attached at least 5 black ground wires for the OEM tail light harness.
5. Mount the main MODULE to a flat space using either double sided tape or zip tie behind the access hole in the sheet metal. This access hole area also allows you enough space to tap into the OEM tail light harness if you choose to. I prefer not tearing this bundle of wires open. So I ran the TAIL - BRAKE - LEFT TURN wires from the MODULE through the weather seal to the outside area where you can get to once remove the tail light.
6. Remove the tail lights. At this point, it's very easy to determine which wire is which. Each light bulb has its own black ground wire. So the color wire is the one you make the connection.
7. Run the POWER & RIGHT TURN wires through the spare tire area to the right side. I connected the POWER wire to the Acc. Outlet connector on this right side. The RIGHT TURN wire was ran outside and connected the same way as the left side.
8. Remove the rear bumper. This is optional if you want the run the 4-way flat connector under the vehicle and mount it by the trailer hitch. I ran it through the square opening and the weather seal which has the OEM license light harness.

I know without pictures these steps don't make much sense. Hopefully I'll be able to find time soon to get some pictures and illustrations from the service manual to put together a DIY for this installation. Feel free to PM me or post questions on here if you need help.

·
Registered
37 Posts

Thanks.
I took the overwhelming advice and went OEM for 130 dollars. It worked perfectly and now I am going to re-sell it to hopefully get most of that money back. It's not worth the risk of frying your electrical system.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I took the overwhelming advice and went OEM for 130 dollars. It worked perfectly and now I am going to re-sell it to hopefully get most of that money back. It's not worth the risk of frying your electrical system.
Ugh... I might have to just do that. I just picked up the plug and play kit from u haul...(it's the 118465 kit that watt man mentioned a page ago and apparently the 05-06 is different from 07+) and of course it doesn't fit. There are so many words I want to say right now but I will control my tongue.

So, I shall return it and give the stealership some money. I want plug and play so I guess that's my only choice.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Amazon had my wiring harness with prime shipping under $35. In case anyone is interested:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YP7EOS[/ame]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks to all who posted before helping to make my U-Haul hitch install uneventful. I also added a Thule T2 rack reviewed well for the Element in other threads.

One thing noteworthy was I tried to install the hitch but failed first attempt. It appeared the (first) hitch was either bent or welded improperly from U-Haul. I lined up the exhaust side holes then tried to get the other side, but they were about 1/4-1/2 inch off. The plate where the U bolt attaches hit preventing the holes from matching on the frame. Placing the hitch on the ground, the frame side plates were not both flat on the ground.

U-Haul took it back, but I had to go to another location to get a replacement...so, there was some turbulence prior to the smooth install.

·
Registered
541 Posts
pics, for people that need it:

i didn't trim bumper at all... doesn't need it IMO

·
Registered
319 Posts

Did you use the 2 inch hitch or 1 1/2? REI is having a sale on the Thule t2 and I was thinking about getting the 2 inch hitch so I can use it on other vehicles.

·
Registered
541 Posts

Did you use the 2 inch hitch or 1 1/2? REI is having a sale on the Thule t2 and I was thinking about getting the 2 inch hitch so I can use it on other vehicles.
i didn't get the Thule T2, but it's a great rack from what i hear...
i need to take off the bikes if i want to access rear tailgate.

2" hitch is where it's at! especially when you got a few bikes back there. more stable than 1-1/4"
i couldn't imagine 4 bikes on the OEM 1-1/4" hitch...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Checking on present Element owners feedback of the U Haul hitch vs. going to the authorized dealer? Any thoughts or positive/negative experiences would be appreciated

·
Registered
30 Posts
Recently added a Uhaul 2" hitch to my E. Mainly for the Thule T2 bike rack. Not a difficult install (and I am NOT handy at such).

·
Registered
4 Posts
15 Minutes start to finish

Thought I'd share that I just installed a hitch on my 05 Element. I backed it up onto a set of ramps (to give me more space for maneuvering). I didn't have to move a thing, didn't have to drill anything, and it slipped into place without issues. It's a Reese Hitch and I couldn't be more pleased.

201 - 215 of 215 Posts