Honda Element Owners Club banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
Hard to say for sure from this remove, but it is one of the most common causes. You haven't told us how many miles are on the car or when the alignment was last done, but if it's more than say 80,000 miles, you're due.

Would my E be stalling a lot because I need a valve adjustment?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hard to say for sure from this remove, but it is one of the most common causes. You haven't told us how many miles are on the car or when the alignment was last done, but if it's more than say 80,000 miles, you're due.
Yes sir, sorry about that.

i have 160,000 and its been doing it about a year. Never been adjusted.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ugh I took my car to a trusted independent Honda shop and got the same “you don’t need an adjustment I see plenty of Honda’s doing fine with 150k+”

im 99% sure my exhaust valves are tight at least because I got 3 misfire codes and swapping coils didn’t do anything.

Feel like I have to take it somewhere else now. I’m at 162k and valves never been done.
Why are shops so hesitant to do this lol

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
I have just bought an '04 that ,,, has 149,000 miles ... a valve adjustment has never been performed.

I took it to a local dealership (this dealership has a good community reputation) in Austin and after a brief test drive, I was called and told that the engine isn't clicking so I'd be wasting my money getting an adjustment. They said that they recommend and perform very few valve adjustments.

So, now the ball is in my court to make the decision. The price will be about $220 after tax, but if it's unnecessary, I'd prefer not to waste that money.

My E is at the dealer right now, so any insight from this helpful community is appreciated.
I've never met a mechanic that could tell by ear if valves on a Honda were adjusted right.

Honda 4 cylinder valves do not loosen with age they tighten.Tightening exhaust valve get quieter. Mine were "quiet" at 110K. 2 exhaust valves were almost out off the tight end or the specified range.

A dealership has nothing to lose if an engine damages its too-tight valves through neglect and the car gets totaled. Dealers shops hate to do them because its a job that takes the estimated book time if done properly, and if done wrong the engine runs worse afterward.

If you are concerned about cost, then DIY in the spring and cut the price down by $150.

If your car is getting better than 18mpg, and has good acceleration, then a valve job probably isn't an emergency, but if it hasn't been done in 150K, 17 years there will be valves that have become tight through wear. It's not if an exhaust valve will burn, it's when. That will cost a lot more than $220 to fix.

I'm in my 70's. It took me longer to find a good description of the process and to order the parts than to perform it.

You will need a valve cover gasket set, Hondabond or Permatex Blue RTV, a set of feeler gauges, a 10mm deep socket and combination wrench, a flat blade screwdriver and a 1/4" torque wrench. If you don't want to keep climbing up and down, then pull out the spark plugs and turn over the engine using a wrench on the PS pulley bolt.

Reactions: te1966

·
Registered
2003 Honda Element Sunset Orange Pearl 2WD Automatic 135K Miles I Love It!
1,282 Posts
Ugh I took my car to a trusted independent Honda shop and got the same “you don’t need an adjustment I see plenty of Honda’s doing fine with 150k+”

im 99% sure my exhaust valves are tight at least because I got 3 misfire codes and swapping coils didn’t do anything.

Feel like I have to take it somewhere else now. I’m at 162k and valves never been done.
Why are shops so hesitant to do this lol
Yeah, I get the same story from my otherwise highly trusted mechanic; who BTW even owns an Element! He says if your engine still runs smooth (which it does) and the valve train is fairly quiet (which it is), don't mess with it. But virtually all of the experts on this site disagree with him! I'm going with the majority!

Yes, get it done! Find someone who will do it! Or, do it yourself! It's definitely doable by the average driveway mechanic!

Check out this video:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, I get the same story from my otherwise highly trusted mechanic; who BTW even owns an Element! He says if your engine still runs smooth (which it does) and the valve train is fairly quiet (which it is), don't mess with it. But virtually all of the experts on this site disagree with him! I'm going with the majority!

Yes, get it done! Find someone who will do it! Or, do it yourself! It's definitely doable by the average driveway mechanic!

Check out this video:

Awesome thanks for the video. I am very much a novice in working on the car but it needs to be done and I don’t know if I trust a mechanic to wait til the E is cold, replace gasket, etc.

·
Registered
2004 Honda element Awd automatic
16 Posts
Would my E be stalling a lot because I need a valve adjustment?
For my 2004 element at a cold start early 1 morning my element stalled but turned back on and I let it idle for a bit then went on my way. It happed to be time for adjusting my valves that weekend and they were out of spec. Once I did the easy valve adjustment, my car has not stalled since.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts

Check out this video:

If valves could be checked and adjusted by ear, mechanics would not need feeler gages.

I don't trust any mechanic who doesn't frequently service a particular system on a particular vehicle to know anything but its theory of operation. It doesn't matter what kind of vehicle you own, only what you have actually serviced properly.

I carry the Honda Service Manual in my Element on USB drive just in case I need an emergency repair by an independent general mechanic. I'm not kidding, some of them can't afford or don't know how to use services like AllData.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts