Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
We recently purchased an 05 element with about 230,000 miles. Unfortunately we don’t have any service records. Check engine light came on and we got a spark plug misfire. Changed spark plugs and error continued. Advised to change coil packs as well. Changed coil packs but error came back. One post on here suggested a valve adjustment as well as camshaft sensor replacement. Was starting to attempt valve adjustment but noticed right away there was something wrong with our timing marks on intake and exhaust cogs? There are detailed instructions on how to preform the valve adjustment. One of them mention the importance of lining up timing marks. Here’s our issue. The timing marks do not line up. Left cog(exhaust) should be at 3 o clock and right cog(intake) should be at 9 o clock for cylinder 1 adjustment. I’ll attach a picture of what our timing marks look like. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks in advance

355BF334-EE27-4D29-ADC1-9F2C2D25A58F.jpeg

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,699 Posts
You don't have to line up any marks. Just rotate the crankshaft until the cylinder is on TDC and cam lobe (s) is on the base circle. If you start with number 1 cylinder, you can follow the firing order 1 3 4 2.

·
Registered
2007 Element EX AWD AT (two!)
497 Posts
The timing chain is supposed to have black links that should line up with the punch marks on the cogs at #1 TDC (I'm not sure they will line up every time) when installing the chain. I think there is a another black link that lines up with a mark on the crank cog.. You might try rolling the engine over by hand to find the black links, then see if you can get the ones for the cam cogs to line up. One of them might be off by a tooth. Any idea if/when the chain has been changed?

·
Registered
302 Posts
What are the orange scratches on your picture supposed to represent? Are you looking at the proper marks?

·
Registered
08 Rootbeer Metallic SC
20 Posts
This is a great writeup that I plan on using for my valve adjustment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts