Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I wanted to know when I should do the valve adjustment on my 03 Element EX 4wd. I don't know if they have self adjusting ones?

My E now has 155K and I bought it from the orig owner at 141K and I did not see a reciept for an adjustment. It doesn't make any noise or anything like that.

And what should I expect to pay for the valve adjustment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you do a search of valve adjustment,there is a wonderful post showing how to do it yourself with pics. included for us visual learners (if you are Mech. inclined). Some people on here have done it at 15,000, 30,000 or at the recommended (100,000 miles ...I think) the owners manual will state when you "should" do it or have it done. Good luck and have a Happy and very safe 4th of July

·
Registered
148 Posts
My E when sitting at idle in gear will vibrate or shake almost violently, and its off and on when id does it. almost like when you put the AC on. and the engine was clicking. I took it to my local mechanic and he said that the clicking was my fuel injectors which by the way it didnt do that before. and that it was maybe my throttle body? but that the E has hydrolic valve adjusters and i didnt need one. care to elaborate anyone?

·
Registered
349 Posts
The K series motor doesn not need a valve adjustment like the B and H series motors.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I just rolled 200,000 km, and the only thing I've had done to the engine (aside from oil changes) was to replace the plugs at 150,000 km....it won't 'need' it again for at least another 100,000 km

and its still just purring along (well, to be honest, I'm just starting to hear an occasional whine from the water pump...)

anyone got some cheese to go with that whine????

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
red or white whine? It's hard to suggest the proper cheese with out knowing the whine first.

OUZO, where did you get that info? The manual says otherwise...

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
red or white whine? It's hard to suggest the proper cheese with out knowing the whine first.

If I'm not mistaken, and I'm sure he'll correct me if I am, I'm pretty sure Ouzo is a Honda mechanic....

It sounds like a red whine to me...cause that's the colour I start to see when I hear it....lol

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
It is a good idea to check or inspect valve clearances every insert your favorite recomendation here, but adjustment may or may not be necessary at that time.

The B (and maybe the H, I'm not very familiar with H motors) series seem to require (because after inspection the valve clearances are found to be outside the specified range) valve adjustment more frequently than the K motors. 30-50k miles is not uncommon.

I sugest checking or inspecting K motor valve clearances every 50k miles or so, Honda says 110k. I'm due for another check, but only very slight adjustment was required on my E the first time around. I coulda skiped it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts