Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking behind the left front wheel for the drain on the block so I could drain out the coolant, I noticed my valve cover gasket is seeping. It isn't dripping, just seeping enough to make a mess. I thought I may as well check the valves while I have the valve cover off, so I did a search of this forum to find info on it. I found this thread

Valve Adjustment with pics

and was amazed to see that they are the lock nut and adjusting screw kind. I expected shims, especially since the interval Honda recommends is so long. My E has about 51k miles on it now.

I have a week or two off at Christmas so I will be changing the coolant, adjusting the valves and replacing that gasket.

Anyone else have a leaking gasket?

·
Registered
235 Posts
My 08 has a weepy valve cover gasket also. Same as your, not drippin, just seeping a bit. I haven't decided if I want to try to get it fixed or just leave it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 08 has a weepy valve cover gasket also. Same as your, not drippin, just seeping a bit. I haven't decided if I want to try to get it fixed or just leave it.
I'd recommend leaving it. There are a couple of spots where a sealant has to be used. I didn't put new sealant on it and it is leaking now. Now I get to mess with it this weekend. It actually leaves a drop of oil on my driveway now. My driveway has a steep angle to it. If I park in the garage it doesn't drip. I do need to fix it though and it is making a mess in the engine bay too. Oil film attracts dust.

·
Registered
549 Posts
If its an 08, wouldn't it be still under warranty?

BTW, which part of San Diego do you live rotomoto?

·
Registered
235 Posts
If its an 08, wouldn't it be still under warranty?
Yeah, but, you know how dealers are, fix one thing, f*&k up something else. Just haven't decided that it's worth pushing my luck. I live in Mission Valley, btw.

·
Registered
549 Posts
that is true about the dealerships.....

Mission valley, I used to go to school down there.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I'm in the process of having to replace my gasket, and am not entirely sure what I will need. Could anyone provide more information, particularly with photos or video for reference?

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Don't apologize , You've done yourself good , by doing a search for yourself , finding a revelant thread and adding a similiar question ..... Thanks

Changing your valve cover gasket , follow the valve adjustment thread , here , post # 84 is the video :http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8768

Don't know where the cover is leaking so here is a diagram to help you figure it out :http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ELEMENT&catcgry2=2008&catcgry3=5DR+LX+(4WD)&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=CYLINDER+HEAD+COVER

Honda recommends on the half round ends of the valve cover , you use Honda bonda / or gasket maker / dab all four round corners ....

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts