Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 131k miles I adjusted my valves today. the intake valves were not to bad in the 0.009-0.011" range. The exhaust valves were all tight in the 0.007 to 0.009" range. I had no idea how NOISY that engine was until now. Now, all I can hear are the fuel injectors clicking. It is smooth and quiet.

I also adjusted the throttle cable as found on the board. NICE throttle response.

I also replaced the IVTEC oil pressure switch due to a fault code (I can't remember witch).

And finally I rotated my tires. Whew! time for a beer.

All that took about 4 hrs including a trip to O'rielly's for a 22mm deep well socket to change the oil pressure switch.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sweet! I also need to do a valve adjustment. Did you use a new gasket or reuse the old? How hard was it to do get the head off and put it back on?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a new gasket. I also use new spark plug tube seals. That might not be necessary. They were a PITA removing the old ones. There are good instructions in the FAQ section. Pay attention to using the Honda Permabond where required per instructions. I planed for a 1/2, so I took my time. No need to get in a hurry.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Awesome job! You gotta love the feeling of progress when car projects are done :D

I don't really want to do the Valve Adjustment myself... so I called the local dealer (Usually where I start so I know another place will charge half, lol), and they said $130 out the door.

Is this a reasonable price? I know it's all for labor, but it might be worth it if this job is a PITA.

I'm not mechanically-incompetent (to some degree), I've just never torn the top of an engine off :p

·
Registered
250 Posts
Why do Elements need valves adjusted and even older Honda Accords and Civics do not?

B

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Yes they do.
In owners manual for 99 Accord, it says to "Inspect Valve Clearance" and the very first interval is scheduled for 105K, until then it says to "Adjust only if noisy".

·
Registered
203 Posts
Damn for $130 I would let them do it. It's not too big a deal to do it yourself, but if you have no idea what you're doing you can do serious damage to your engine. Now that is not to say you can't, just know your limits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts