Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:x I just bought my new kiwi E a month ago and it has already been attacked by the neighborhood kids. We live in an area full of kids under 8 who are not supervised. I have a new tag on the drivers door where some child tried to practice writing with a rock. To finish the job they came back the following week and scraped the front hood in 4 places (about 5" long by 2" wide each) and added a nice long scrape extending from the front of the passengers side to the rear.

I really need some advice on this, should I see if a detailer can cut polish the wounds out? or make an insurance claim and have the panels painted? I am concerned if it was cut polished it would need to eat at the paint too deep. On the other hand I am also concerned that if it is repainted the paint will not be as nice as the original, not to mention it will be a claim against the car decreasing it's re-sale value and a $300 deductable. I have never had to deal with this before since I have never loved a car as I do my new E and wouldn't had cared if it was my past cars, which route will have the best outcome? I will have to clear out the garage so I can park her safely once I have my baby back to her shiny self, I really wanted to keep our trailer garaged but it will have to be one or the other.

Thanks for your advice!
Tasha:-(

·
Registered
751 Posts

How about finding the kids and making their parents repaint your car.

Exactly what I was thinking.

If the parents give you a hard time, you need to gather evidence and at least 3 repair estimates and drag them to small claims court. It might make them think 2x about letting their kids roam unsupervised.

I would avoid getting my insurance involved if I could.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Vandalism is vandalism. Call the cops, point out the damage, and the likely culprits. Under age kids - parents are responsible for their actions under the law. If you can, photograph the kids doing their "deeds". Had a friend with a similar problem. Traveled, and would come back to find his car keyed or dented. He set up a home security camera pointing out a window at his vehicle. Left for a trip, and came back to more vandalism. Showed the Video of it happening to the cops, of local kid doing the damage - kid was charged with vandalism in Juvi court, and parents had to pay full restitution.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It's hard to prove anything with a hunch. The idea of any form of camera would make the difference. You can certainly get something put together for the kind of money you are talking about for deductibles, etc. And especially since it seems like it will continue...I'd put the first money into the camera setup. Fix it after you bring a bit of justice to the streets.

Last thought, cops won't consider this much of a priority. Providing the video would make it a simple slam dunk for them to assign blame and press charges on the parents vs asking them to come down the street more often to babysit the neighbors 8 year olds, you know.

Definitely sucks...good luck.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I always suggest a friendly, proactive approach to neighborhood issues. Particularly when dealing with well meaning youngsters who may not have had the benefit of a proper role model at home. Perhaps if you befriend them they would not be so quick to damage the property of their new friend. I like to start with a peace offering of the two things that kids can't resist - puppies and candy.... It seems to work so well that I rarely have to replenish the candy or buy dog food!

Note to self for future questions: Stain removal from seats, carpet and ceiling?

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I always suggest a friendly, proactive approach to neighborhood issues. Particularly when dealing with well meaning youngsters who may not have had the benefit of a proper role model at home. Perhaps if you befriend them they would not be so quick to damage the property of their new friend. I like to start with a peace offering of the two things that kids can't resist - puppies and candy.... It seems to work so well that I rarely have to replenish the candy or buy dog food!

Note to self for future questions: Stain removal from seats, carpet and ceiling?

Magoosmc, I love your approach. Reminds me of my old job when I used to drive a security truck with 20+ guard dogs to deliver them to their nightly stations, I felt invincible in that truck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there any point in making the car perfect again if the same neighborhood punks are just going to mess it up?
Yes, I plan on making the garage her new secure home, it just means our trailer, dirt bike and other toys will have to be moved out. Then again she might get banged up on one of our many camping trips again, but at least I wont be so %$#* pissed if I do the damage.

Still, I need to know the best approach to getting her back to beautiful. Cut polished by a detailer or painted?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I friend the evil kids in the country where my cabin is. Buy them a beer at the bar (or pizza and a soda)... Play darts with them, ask them how they are etc.

Then, I ask them to "look after my place" when I'm gone. Tell them how much appreciate them looking after me etc.

Seems to be working.

Tam

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for your advice, with 30-40 kids here it will be very hard to point fingers and place blame. I could set up a camera to catch whom ever decides to leave their mark again, but I would rather miss the 'again' and park the E in the garage.

The whole thing sucks, I can't believe I have only had a car mark free for one month. I searched long and hard to find an E in mint condition, it makes my blood boil every time I look at it now. I just want to get this E looking like it did a couple weeks ago so I can feel excited to go for a drive again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Still, I need to know the best approach to getting her back to beautiful. Cut polished by a detailer or painted?
It depends. If the scratches in the paint are deep enough to catch a fingernail rubbed across it, it is probably too deep to remove completely by a detailer. Even deep scratches will look better if polished out, however. Try to catch a nail in the scratch and it will help you make the decision.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It depends. If the scratches in the paint are deep enough to catch a fingernail rubbed across it, it is probably too deep to remove completely by a detailer. Even deep scratches will look better if polished out, however. Try to catch a nail in the scratch and it will help you make the decision.
Thanks Sludge! I guess I will be booking a new paint job, at least half of them fail the fingernail test. I think the one done with a rock is actually to the metal as it looks black after it was cleaned out. Now I will search for a good paint shop.

·
Registered
35 Posts
momma-bear,

Sorry you are going through this, it is kind of a bad dream. Fortunately where I live we have a busy road, it kind of takes care of the wanderers. :)

Just kidding, we do have a busy road, but very few young families.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Oh hell no...

Now, I like children just as much as the next guy, but if that child did that shizzit in my neighborhood, to my car? Twice? Well, special punishments are reserved dirty, rotten, disrespectful, unsupervised, street-urchin vandals (and their ignorant parents)!

Have a nice day,
Jim :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts