Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 sop with 71k on it. when the engine is cold and you accelerate, the valves (i think ) make a lotta noise. sounds like the motor is full of marbles. but when the engine warms up enough the noise goes away. Do you think i need a valve adjustment or could it be another problem. and anybody know what a dealer would hit me up for an adjustment.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Use the good 'ol proven method----a 4 ft piece of 5/8 heater hose, one end stuck in your ear and the other end probing around the engine while running. That's how I finally found it when I had the exact same noise start at about 70K. You wouldn't believe what it turned out to be.

·
Registered
816 Posts
use the good 'ol proven method----a 4 ft piece of 5/8 heater hose, one end stuck in your ear and the other end probing around the engine while running. That's how i finally found it when i had the exact same noise start at about 70k. You wouldn't believe what it turned out to be.
hotroder,,, what was it...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
too heavy an oil would do it. would explain why the noise goes away when the engine heats up. and it did seem to happen when i switched to one of those quicky lube places for oil changes. thanks for the replies

·
Registered
662 Posts
Let me guess....a chipmunk in the engine compartment.
Funny you'd mention that----we did have a squirrel problem for a while. They enjoyed eating their acorns on the warm engine and chew on wires for entertainment. :roll:

hotroder,,, what was it...
It was a failing belt tensioner pulley. It sounded exactly like a valve clatter and would go away, most times, when the engine warmed up. Replaced the pulley and the engine has been quiet ever since.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Funny you'd mention that----we did have a squirrel problem for a while. They enjoyed eating their acorns on the warm engine and chew on wires for entertainment. :roll:

It was a failing belt tensioner pulley. It sounded exactly like a valve clatter and would go away, most times, when the engine warmed up. Replaced the pulley and the engine has been quiet ever since.
cool..i was waiting to hear you found some change in there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that would explain also why the serpentine belt is still squeaky even tho its fairly new. thanks for the reply

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
One of the things that will cause a light rattle is the piston skirts are shorter then the older V8s and when the engine is cold the pistons will rattle slightly until they expand. the engine starts doing this around 75000 miles. This is called piston slap. Its part of the normal life of the engine. Mine does this also.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
how about a clatter when the engine is on load but at a stop. that's mine's. After the engine warms, I can heard a clatter in drive when not moving or if the AC is on, but it's not consistent. usually when the AC kicks in and the fan and in drive.

·
Registered
662 Posts
One of the things that will cause a light rattle is the piston skirts are shorter then the older V8s and when the engine is cold the pistons will rattle slightly until they expand. the engine starts doing this around 75000 miles. This is called piston slap. Its part of the normal life of the engine. Mine does this also.

Mine don't slap---they know I'll slap them back :lol:

Nothing worse than a bossy piston :roll:

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Mine don't slap---they know I'll slap them back :lol:

Nothing worse than a bossy piston :roll:
Especially when the get pinged on...:) You know those yo yo pistons, Life just has their ups and downs.:lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts