Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I tend to "over engineer" everything........this is an accomplishment in simplicity! Originally I was going to build a complete a console, with storage compartment etc, but I have other projects I need to get to and ALL I really needed was a better cup holder for my Venti Starbuck (stop every morning on the way to work).

Will finish a ver 1.1 with an additional section extending it to the rear edge of the seats eventually and then ver 1.2 will have a more polished/professional finish.

I was also going to raise the armrest but after taking everything apart I realized that part of the side airbag was blocking it. At least now I know why it's lower.

WP_000219.jpg
WP_000214.jpg
WP_000217.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice job, simple yet very effective. Is that a cutting board type material ? Would love to see you do that complete console.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it's made out of 1/4in plywood.
My plan is to complete the console after I get some airbrush projects done, which is on hold until spring cleaning is done. :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
Does the unit move at all or does it fit snug? :?

P.S. Might I steal your idea, instead of using those bolts with nuts, I would use equivalent sized spacers but epoxy it so the top surface of the cuphold has a clean look (no bolts or nuts sticking out).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the unit move at all or does it fit snug? :?

P.S. Might I steal your idea, instead of using those bolts with nuts, I would use equivalent sized spacers but epoxy it so the top surface of the cuphold has a clean look (no bolts or nuts sticking out).
Go for it! :)

I was originally going to extend the sides but I have other plans for later.
Going to put a OBD scanner just above the cup holder and below the edge of the shifter.

http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangaugeii/

Going to mount an inverter in the bottom....
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MDXS0U/ref=gl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_img?_encoding=UTF8&colid=FP0TPTM4GF4B&coliid=I34SH0FZ8PXONV&psc=1

Trying to think of a place where I can put my Keurig :)

The cup holder was made from scraps from another project and I was going to use spacers but they were like $5 each at Lowes and for a simple afternoon project didn't think it was worth it.........so went with the nuts and bolts.

Other project;
WP_000212.jpg

Trying to think of a place where I can put my Keurig :)

Paint was from another project, Grandson's helmet :)
helmet.JPG

It's not attached at this time but it fits pretty snug. If it moves around any I'm going to put a "sand/bean bag" on the shelf at the bottom.

Have fun and post pics of what you come up with.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Wondering what you think about having a simple backing behind the cup-holder area so that your subwoofer is protected in case of any accidental spills...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wondering what you think about having a simple backing behind the cup-holder area so that your subwoofer is protected in case of any accidental spills...
be a good idea and i was going to put a back on it, still might, but if I mount it to the dash I'll cut the wood to fit and put a thin piece of rubber between the cup holder and dash.

I'm thinking the back would muffle the sound and if/when I put a back on it I'll probably cut out part of it and put a screen over it.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Nice work I really like the simplicity of it. Is it just wedged in the space between the sub woofer and center console? then sand/bean bag will then keep it from tipping left and right?

Looking forward to your center console ideas. thanks for sharing.

on a side note.
I have heard that those air fresheners will eat through your paint. Even hanging from the mirror they drop chemicals that eat away paint on the dash.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Nice work I really like the simplicity of it. Is it just wedged in the space between the sub woofer and center console? then sand/bean bag will then keep it from tipping left and right?

Looking forward to your center console ideas. thanks for sharing.

on a side note.
I have heard that those air fresheners will eat through your paint. Even hanging from the mirror they drop chemicals that eat away paint on the dash.
Thanks for the heads up on the air freshener! I had a little one that was mounted on the vents that was made of plastic. I'll probably go back to those.

I haven't even used the cup holder yet, put it in and haven't gone anywhere yet. It fits pretty tight but if it's top heavy with coffee then I have industrial strength velcro I'm going to use. Since I plan on changing things up I don't want to drill or actually mount it just yet.

Update;

Just got back from a short drive and .............gotta anchor it, going to try the velcro first and see how that does.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice job!

I installed a cupholder in the same position, but mounted it to the subwoofer cover- link in my sig.
I like your cup holder install, very clean.
I've got a couple of changes for when I complete ver 1.1, hopefully this weekend

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Over a year later! ver 1.03

I like your cup holder install, very clean.
I've got a couple of changes for when I complete ver 1.1, hopefully this weekend
Well! I finally made a few minor updates and although they are minor they make the cup holder much more functional.

-Raised the top so that it holds taller cups better.
-Bottom shelf is much longer so that it is supported by the existing console.
-Covered it with vinyl wrap
-Used industrial strength velcro between the bottom shelf and existing console.

Much more stable while easy to remove with no permanent mods to the car.

I know I'm a slacker on this but I did do a few other projects. Vents, Nerf Bar and painted several goalie helmets :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
thanks for the update.
and if your vehicle is a 2004, the color is Fiji Blue Pearl, which is not quite the same as Royal Blue Pearl.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for the catch on the color :) Just goes to show the mind sees what it want's to see. Every time I read it, it read fiji to me. Had to read it three times before I saw it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts