Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on a platform bed for my E. This was actually a project I "started" last year, and by "started", I mean I thought a great deal about actually doing it one day. Well now that the warm weather has finally hit the great northeast, I felt a little motivation to recreate some of the great things I have been seeing on EOC in my own form in my E.
Some of my guidelines-
-has to look show quality when complete.
-has to fit me + one at no less than 6ft long (my height).
-has to be removable In pieces, but secure when installed.
-should not need tools to assemble or dismantle.
-can not cause damage or scarring to factory plastics while installed.
-no alterations can be made to factory parts.

So I began building....

And thus far I have a plywood base, on 2x4 support, with PVC backup support.
Pics will follow immediately, and progress will be updated as I continue my project throughout the next couple weeks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just cut some 2x4's to length:

Started bracing for support:

Cut a sheet of plywood long enough to meet up with the foremost 2x4, just rear of the door openings:

Cut some pieces to fit in the odd shaped openings of the rear storage bins:

Better shot:

Here's what the front looks like so far:

Supports for the front of the rear platform:

My trusty helper:

So thats what I have so far. My requirements for not scarring the oem plastics have already been thrown out at this point. You just cant move plywood and 2x4's in and out of your car for 4 hours without doing a handfull of damage.
I was actually surprised at honda's interior design.... When you lay a 2x4 on its ends on the rear cargo bins and lay across a sheet of plywood, it fits precisely inside the grooves in the plastic removable seat bracket covers... I Think honda planned this....They knew the quirky people they were selling the Element to!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The other noteworthy thing I did:
(keep in mind I wanted this to be removable without tools)
I used wood dowels to seat the plywood on the 2x4's, so that the plywood wouldnt have to be screwed to the 2x4's, but it also wouldnt just float around and slide forward when i hit the brakes or gas it and have it fly through the rear. You can see the dowel peg in this picture:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I am completed with this build it should reach over the center console, with everything forward of the rear platform being small enough to fit under the rear platform for transit. Per my request to have it show-quality; I plan on wrapping all the platforms I build with 3/4inch foam and then covering with a black or dark colored vinyl. Obviously the foam wouldnt be for sleeping on, but would create a pillowy-look for the vinyl top. When i want to use it for sleeping, I would pull an air mattress or 4-inch memoryfoam pad out from under the platform and lay it on top. I have never slept on memory foam, but I assume it cant be any worse for your back than an air mattress is, and I may opt for the memoryfoam.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There was progress made today on top of what I have already posted. I made PVC support feet for the platform to take some of the stress off of the OEM plastics, and also added easy-release anchors for the plywood so it doesnt decapitate me in the event of a head-on crash. But I will have to wait until tomorrow to get pictures of what I have done.
Plans for the rest of the week will be to work on framing for the front portion of the platform. I hope to have a support block in the SC console by the e-brake that will hold a good portion of weight, and then I will run 2x4's long enough to rest on the arm-rests of the front and rear doors. The front piece of plywood is already cut to the size I need, making the entire platform 6'6" long from head to toe. Should be enough length for my pillows and my fetal sleeping position. Now the real test comes in the end of the build when I put my girlfriend (120lb), myself (180lb), a 48lb dog, and a 10lb dog all on it with bedding and hope to not hear any cracking.

My hopes are to have this entire project completed before friday, but we will see. I do have a job that takes 11 potential progress hours out of everyday.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
couple pics of the pvc supports and anchors

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice, Vermonter. Added to the platforms list.

Note that the anchors in the far bottom corners are a weak link in your attachment system.
I realize they might not hold the weight of a 4ft by 4ft sheet of plywood screaming towards the back of my head at 80mph, but it should at least slow it down a bit haha
I am open to any ideas for securement.

Also, anyone should feel free to call out any ideas I may have used from there designs. I dont recall where or how I came up with a lot of what i did, all i know is credit is due to various members of this forum.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heres the finished product of the rear portion of the platform, . This will be what i will have semi-permanently in my car for shows or whatever.
I should have the front portion finished tomorrow.

Hope you all enjoy it so far!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also forgot to mention that i did not get a chance to clean all the sawdust/dirt/grime out of the car before i took the pictures. sorry for the dirty pics! I got caught up cleaning the outside of the car today. clay bar'd and buffed today, tomorrow i will wax and clean the engine bay/wheels.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Final product is here!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Supports rest on the door armrests.

This picture was taken before i made the front supports, but i had to get a shot in before the sun went down. it looks a little catywampus, but its level now!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks! I tested it out this past weekend, worked great. The air mattress I used was.... Well, a little too big. But it was a good little toaster nonetheless.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My dog loves my new platform. She likes the new view she has haha.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts