Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It a fake vent just for decoration

I'm not sure what car it came from but it looks very good on a Element. It reminds me of Cadillac Escalade “E&G Fender Vents”. Some one please start putting these Fake Vents on the E and post some photos.

·
Registered
557 Posts
That decreases the cool factor by 25 points IMO. I've seen those on every "whip" nearby and they look rediculous. Side vents (even some real ones) serve no function other than to look like something... I saw someone who went all out and put several different kinds of "side vents" all over the side of a Scion toaster. They either didn't get the idea of the look... or something, because there were door vents to cool the... speakers if they were real, and window vents... to get airflow to the regulator, and all over, about 10 different kinds, and then the fake chrome stripping outlining everything as well. Probably got a $100 gift card to pep boys and went crazy.

Again, IMO, if you want to put side vents, cut a large square portion out of the fender, get a square piece of metal, cut slots in it, then make louvers for the slots, weld it in place, and it will be "functional" in the fact that air will flow through, but it won't do anything.

Either way, do whatever makes you happy, because in the end, it's your car and the only person it needs to make happy is you.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm not sure what car it came from but it looks very good on a Element. It reminds me of Cadillac Escalade “E&G Fender Vents”. Some one please start putting these Fake Vents on the E and post some photos.
You can't be serious?

Please don't do this. THis is a crime.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts

·
Moderatorium
6,408 Posts
I'm now seeing these things on every two-bit rustbucket or über-cheap econobox. Buick used to be ridiculed for these fake vent ports, but ever since Maserati started doing it, well, they obviously have to be cool. What people in the US don't quite understand is that Maserati has been a poseur brand for decades. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ford Focus, and Saturn VUE vent port look like S**T. I see what your are getting at. A real Vent port or a cowl vent should probably be left to the boats.

Thank for your input

·
Registered
557 Posts
The carbon fiber ones are hilarious. The mesh is almost believable, but explain to me the ones that are filled with carbon fiber. What are they "venting".
Well,
it's quite simple really.

They are allowing the carbon fiber inlays to breathe. Scientifically, the 3m adhesion that is used to attach the vents to the sides of the vehicle have deposits of aeon flux dispositional otteraces that need to expand and contract to bend the metal or plastic of the car fender to fit the shape of the carbon fiber inlay. The weave of the fake carbon fiber itself collects moisture from the air and uses a catalysts to form microscopic upside down wings (or spoilers) that help in the down-force of the rear-most portion of the fender causing drag and a performance increase of about .0002% of the proportion of space the carbon takes up divided by the amount of surface area left on the fender that is uncovered.

One may argue that if the vents are not located in EXACTLY the same spots on both sides of the car, the entire weight and body roll of the car will become unbalanced, but research has proven that the position can vary by .002Cm and still function properly and cause the "spoiler effect" mentioned previously.

When tested on a BMW M3, the fake carbon vents were proven to detract the body and caused the fenders to bend in succession with the turning radius via the "carbon-corioalus" effect, which is the idea that if you fired a carbon fiber bullet from a gun, the shell would hit the ground the same time the bullet did after it traveled a significant distance. The principle is applied to the M3 and was altered by placing "air-altering side-wings" on the fake carbon fiber vents, as shown in this example:

It is theorized that the vents were supposed to allow the M3 to travel at a faster rate backwards since it was adhered with 3M tape, this was not true however and the increase of speed in the reverse gear was only minimal.

When the same principle was used on the Escalade, however, the "air-altering side-wings" did not create the same effect and caused too much body roll and drag, and had to be recessed. Also the 3m tape did not cause the same effect on the Escalade as it did the M3. The carbon fiber "inlay" did however cause the necessary catalytic effect and form the "mini spoilers" mentioned previous. The side vents were still placed on the Escalade, though the performance increase was minimal.

The fake carbon fiber is not just any fake carbo fiber either, it is a polytheistic- major- cadence, in other words, a material that believes in multiple gods and can keep pace surprisingly well, it is thought that the material's belief in many dieties causes it to form the mini-spoilers, which might be rooted in greek mythology though that is still left to research and discussion. Since 3M double-sided tape is not an incredibly old invention, the earliest forms of "fake" side vents were adhered using a mixture of cow dung and melted iron. The iron/dung mixture was thought a perfect form for mounting because it correctly bended the fenders to the correct form and allowed the car to basically morph around it, but thought too cost-in-efficient since the only person still able to mix cow dung and iron lived during the "Marry-Wanna" art erra and forgot how to form the mythical mixture during the recession shortly after.

The fake carbon fiber side vents are still a major scientific/religious argument today. Because of the science that works behind them, and also the fake fiber's belief in multiple dieties, it is basically an argument in itself. The vents are widely sold in auto parts stores and vary in price depending on performance, shiny-ness, and craftsmanship of the fake carbon fiber inlay.

·
Banned
395 Posts
that was the best and clearest explanation of carbon parts I've ever read. and I think it applies to all applications of carbon fiber.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Unless you really enjoy people pointing and laughing at you,please don't put those on your E' or any other vehicle.:)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Beauty may be in the eyes of the beholder, but fake is fake.
It depends on the plastic surgeon :lol:

Fake car parts are just insane. Although, a fake cellphone antenna would look cool :rolleyes:

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
i could say something, but i don't feel like wasting the energy.

its pathetic. that's all i got :D

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I HATE THESE THINGS!!!!

i saw a sunfire that had these on the front quarter panels but they put them vertically on the rounded panels. The "ends" of the oval shape weren't even stuck down. I wanted to slap that guy.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts