Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was changing my license plate sticker today and when I took the plate off for the first time since owning it, the bolts snapped, both of them, what the heck, who uses a steel bolts and a welded steel nut, they RUST together. I will be up at the dealership tomorrow, so mad!!!!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
We've owned three E's and all had plate screw broken off deep in the nut.

On our '06 I just forced a coarse thread short screw into the hole.

I drilled out the screws on our '05's and then used a nylon screw in the drilled out nut.

·
Registered
590 Posts
every single honda i've ever seen has had screwed up lic plate fasteners.... only part on them that screws up.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Get some never seize and use it on the plate screws, lug nuts(also where the wheel touches the rotor), spark plugs, exhaust fasteners and anything else you want to be able to take apart after seven winters with hand tools. I use it on everything at work in the mine and at home and it saves me a lot of time, money and swearing!

http://www.bostik-us.com/Files/Catalogs/NeverSeez_catalog.pdf

·
Registered
191 Posts
I bought the snazzy Chrome license plate frame with "Element" printed on it from my local Honda dealer, and the kit comes with new screws. The factory screws were pretty craptastic. So far I'm very satisfied with them; no rusting or seizing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
HEY HONDA!.....Nylon license plate fasteners would solve that problem from the beginning!

Fortunantely, I noted what POS they are when removing the dealer plate frame 5 minutes into owning the car. I stopped on the way home bought some stainless ones and lubed them up. This was conveniant since what REALLY annoyed me in the next few months was the stupid plate rattling EVERYTIME I shut the tailgate....because like many things Honda is too freaking cheap to put nuts for the BOTTOM plate holes. So off with the plate and I drilled a couple holes and inserted nylon fasteners.

Of course when replacing my sticker I lube the stock Honda ones just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
wow........going to the dealer for lic. plate bolts.......

make sure you have them lube up your muffler bearings & top off your blinker & horn fluids while you're there..... it's pretty cold out, you don't want to run out in this weather..............:twisted:

·
Registered
751 Posts
wow........going to the dealer for lic. plate bolts.......

make sure you have them lube up your muffler bearings & top off your blinker & horn fluids while you're there..... it's pretty cold out, you don't want to run out in this weather..............:twisted:
Perhaps he still has some time left on his warranty. I sure wouldn't waste time on this issue if it was warrantied.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,889 Posts
When I bought the E, the plates came in a week later, while installing I gooped them up with never seize, also did the spare tire holddown.

We see frozen bolts at the shop all the time on any vehicle. Most times we just tear the plate if it's not going on the new car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts