Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 5spd that makes a low growling sound and vibrates slightly when the steering wheel is turned all the way. It sounds like the bass was turned way up. This happens mostly while in parking lots and moving at low speeds.

Does anyone know what the problem part is?

·
Registered
873 Posts
cv joints or power stering ,but first check to see if your tires are rubbing on any thing other than the road.inner fender,tree branch,trycycle, spouse,:shock:moose,garbage can etc, :twisted:

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I have a 2008 5spd that makes a low growling sound and vibrates slightly when the steering wheel is turned all the way. It sounds like the bass was turned way up. This happens mostly while in parking lots and moving at low speeds.

Does anyone know what the problem part is?
First let me say welcome to the Club.

There several threads that exist on the symptoms that you describe.
A quick search will help you find what your looking for. We will be unable to help much, do to the lack of information you have provided.

In Other Words:
Fill in your profile! If we have some information in hand it will save a bunch of useless questions!

For instance, If you have 4WD then it's most likely the rear Differential fluid that needs changing. That is in fact the common fix for your complaint. However if you have 2WD then it does not apply at all. In reality many factors will come into play depending on the area you live in. So help us help you! Fill out the profile.

Sorry IRV! :grin:

Dom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your friendly reminder. Yes, the E is a 4wd with 35k kilometres. After doing a more thorough search, I do think that the rear differential fluid needs to be changed.

On another forum, a couple of members suggested that the power steering pump is working harder and becomes audible. They suggested never to turn the steering wheel of any automobile to full lock. Is there any merit in this?

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
On another forum, a couple of members suggested that the power steering pump is working harder and becomes audible. They suggested never to turn the steering wheel of any automobile to full lock. Is there any merit in this?
sorta. Once you've got it turned all the way left or right....why tug on the wheel for more? That is just extra stress on the system. I see people "forcing" the steering wheel all the time. :roll:

The problem sounds like rear diff fluid breakdown....as you're figured out by now.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
My money is on being low on power steering fluid. Was I right? Because mine did the same thing you're describing and that's what it ended up being.

As a matter of fact I have an appointment at the dealership to see where my fluid went. It shouldn't be leaking anywhere with only 18,000 miles on the clock.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
My money is on being low on power steering fluid. Was I right? Because mine did the same thing you're describing and that's what it ended up being.
Good point....I remember reading about your problem.

If it happens only when moving it is prolly diff. If it happen when stopped it can't be the diff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts