Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, i have a 04 element 5spd manual awd. recently i'm getting vibration only under acceleration between 50-60 in any gear.:mad:

it's not a missfire or engine hesitation or anything. it feels like when the wheels are out of balance. but it's perfectly smooth on cruising at any speed. only under acceleration will it have alot of vibration between 50-60. like the front end jumping. does this in any gear.:confused:

tires are almost new. got them rotated. it's not that. :-(

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
don't know what it is. Just helping by asking questions. Is it more pronounced/magnified in say 2nd gear going frm 50-60 vs 3rd vs 4th vs 5th.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey, yea a lil more in lower gears, i guess when more torque is applied... i'm guessing an engine mount? i dont see any broken, but wondering if anyone has experianced this or has any ideas.

thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the exact same model and problem. I tried rotating the tires but that didn't change a thing. It seems to come from the the front end, and vibrates harder the quicker I accelerate. Bent tie rod maybe? Sorry I don't have a answer, just wanted to chime in and say I feel your pain!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey guys, ok i've been doing some research on googlio..., alot of honda's are having this problem.
it might be engine mounts (very low chance) or inner cv joint. aparantly one of the bearing prong thingie breaks so it's unbalanced on 2. so i'm gonna first check all mounts then see the inner cv joints for any clunking or play. i'll keep yal updated.

also if anyone has any other clues. i appreciate any help. thanks

·
Registered
541 Posts
i had or have the same problem.i changed the axles still there.i changed the rotors and pads and did a full brake serive.still there.it vibrates at about 65-up .also i have the problem with my 18's and stock 16's.bearings are all ok no loose tie rod but there could be a tweak?motor seems stable but sometimes the mounts are hard to diagnose unless there really shot.good luck

·
Registered
52 Posts
here we go....

had the exact same problem,

front of car would vibrate around 55-60mph, then it would "go away" when I went faster but I new it was just a higher frequency if you get what I mean

I have new tires, had them balanced rotated etc, motor mounts wasn't the problem. I was going crazy!

Finally just pulled the trigger and got two re-manufactured half shafts from O-Reilly Auto Parts and it solved the problem!!!!

After my mechanic gave me the old ones back, the passenger side one was very loose at the inner joint compared to the drivers side

You could never tell mine were messed up unless you took them out and checked the "play" because all the boots looked perfect, even my mechanic doubted it, but all is smooth and well now!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey, thanks alot. it really feel like it's comming from the passanger side.

thats what i've been reading on alot of civic/accord/s2000 owners. inner joints. i think on the fwd's it's mainly the passanger side going bad, uhmmm......honda defect perhaps!!! lol

thanks for the confirm, i'm gonna go ahead and replace the passanger joint first.

·
Registered
158 Posts
engine mount and front drive shafts

I feel your pain... I have a 2004 5-speed with 193,000 km. It has recently developed a severe shudder that is pronounced under hard acceleration only. Cruising is smooth and the engine revs smoothly. I took it in to the local Honda dealership and they reported that there was a cracked front engine mount AND that the front drive shafts had to be replaced as well. The front axle boots and clamps were intact. That's $1,500 CDN just in new Honda parts! I am going to get the mount replaced first, and if the problem persists, try and find some rebuilt front drive axles or used ones from a low mileage wreck. I'm quite disappointed, as I maintain the vehicle as specified and am looking at big bucks for items that shouldn't fail this early in the life of the vehicle, especially when the vehicle is not abused or neglected. I've had several FWD vehicles before with way more mileage on them, and have never had a front axle/joint wear out or fail. Maybe it has to do with the large angle of the axles on the Element compared to a lower road car where the axles are more horizontal?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea it seems to be across the board with honda's. even s2k's. don't think it's the angle. might just be cheap bearings or something. i'm gonna go under the car tom and see which one has play in it.

I feel your pain... I have a 2004 5-speed with 193,000 km. It has recently developed a severe shudder that is pronounced under hard acceleration only. Cruising is smooth and the engine revs smoothly. I took it in to the local Honda dealership and they reported that there was a cracked front engine mount AND that the front drive shafts had to be replaced as well. The front axle boots and clamps were intact. That's $1,500 CDN just in new Honda parts! I am going to get the mount replaced first, and if the problem persists, try and find some rebuilt front drive axles or used ones from a low mileage wreck. I'm quite disappointed, as I maintain the vehicle as specified and am looking at big bucks for items that shouldn't fail this early in the life of the vehicle, especially when the vehicle is not abused or neglected. I've had several FWD vehicles before with way more mileage on them, and have never had a front axle/joint wear out or fail. Maybe it has to do with the large angle of the axles on the Element compared to a lower road car where the axles are more horizontal?

·
Registered
158 Posts
maybe propeller shaft

Hey Boxedup1,

Your vibration issue could be a faulty propeller shaft. On the bright side, it is easy to test by removing four bolts and checking the joints out, but on the dark side, if it is faulty, it must be replaced as an entire unit and it is quite an expensive part... over $800 CDN. Maybe out of a low mileage wreck?

I am going to replace my front and rear stabilizer links as well as the front driveshafts tomorrow. I bought remanufactured HONDA driveshafts for $185 CDN a piece (plus $100 CDN core return). I was going to get HONDA to install them, but they won't warranty the work because they are not new HONDA parts. I wasn't going to fork out over $1400 CDN for new original HONDA driveshafts, so I'm doing it myself... Sometimes I do not understand the things HONDA does with regards to parts, or labour for that matter.

Why can't HONDA remanufacture HONDA drive shafts and warranty them?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've got a 2004 4x4 with 107,000 miles. I feel the vibration in the front and when I slowly accelerate to 18-20 rpms/40-43 mph after a cold start. Once the car is warmed up it doesn't occur again until it's been sitting for awhile (overnight). It occurs on flat smooth pavement as well as on a grade. It doesn't vibrate at higher speeds or lower speeds. My mechanic couldn't get the car to do it :rolleyes: and told me I would have to leave it for the day. I would rather run this by you guys and see if you have any suggestions. I've had the recommended 100,000 mile service as well as the oil change every 3k miles, recommended maintenance service, and 2 new sets of tires with alignment checked.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. :smile:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.