Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 E 4wd EX manual with 118,000, and was wondering where this vibration is coming from.

The car has a suddle vibration at idle, and under heavy acceleration the car vibrates. I am most certain it is coming from the engine/drivetrain area, not tires.

I have deduced that the following reasons have been excluded -

1. Tires
Had them rotated and balanced twice.

2. CV boots
No clicking with tight turning

3. Spark Plug Misfire
Had the 100,000 tune up performed

The most probable causes I think are

1. Broken/Bad engine mounts

2. Broken/Bad transmission mounts

3. Bad bushings in suspension

Anyone else experience vibration with hard acceleration in the older E? Other than that, my E runs perfect. I just hope it is nothing major:?

·
Registered
536 Posts
If I were you I would look at the engine and transmission mounts next. I read in a few posts where members had problems with broken engine and/or transmission mounts causing the vibration you described.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
The vibration happens only when the car is in motion, not when revved at a standstill, yes?

Does it happen with the car coasting, or only in gear? If only when in gear, while accelerating only or also while decelerating?

On straightaways as well as curves?

Over smooth roads or only over bumps?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was getting a shuttering (vibration) when I was going at a steady speed, mostly around 40mph. Changed the transmission fluid and filter and it has gone away. Before it would happen just about every day. Its been about a week now and nothing. I think I found my problem, maybe yours? But I guess if your problem happens at idle maybe not.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
..Changed the transmission fluid and filter and it has gone away. Before it would happen just about every day. Its been about a week now and nothing. I think I found my problem, maybe yours?
The OP has a manual tranny, not an auto.....so they're not likely the same problem.

That brings up a good point however, we could possibly use info about the vibration occuring with the clutch engaged or disengaged to help narrow the problem down to a motor or tranny/clutch related issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The OP has a manual tranny, not an auto.....so they're not likely the same problem.

That brings up a good point however, we could possibly use info about the vibration occuring with the clutch engaged or disengaged to help narrow the problem down to a motor or tranny/clutch related issue.
I missed the manual transmission. Sorry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after taking to pep boys, found out that cam lobe for cylinder #4 was worn, misfires in all cylinders (codes) and low compression in cylinder 4. they said take it back to people that adjusted the valves (Honda) which I did yesterday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts