Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 E 4wd EX manual with 118,000, and was wondering where this vibration is coming from.

The car has a suddle vibration at idle, and under heavy acceleration the car vibrates. I am most certain it is coming from the engine/drivetrain area, not tires.

I have deduced that the following reasons have been excluded -

1. Tires
Had them rotated and balanced twice.

2. CV boots
No clicking with tight turning

3. Spark Plug Misfire
Had the 100,000 tune up performed

The most probable causes I think are

1. Broken/Bad engine mounts

2. Broken/Bad transmission mounts

3. Bad bushings in suspension

Anyone else experience vibration with hard acceleration in the older E? Other than that, my E runs perfect. I just hope it is nothing major:?

·
Registered
536 Posts
If I were you I would look at the engine and transmission mounts next. I read in a few posts where members had problems with broken engine and/or transmission mounts causing the vibration you described.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was getting a shuttering (vibration) when I was going at a steady speed, mostly around 40mph. Changed the transmission fluid and filter and it has gone away. Before it would happen just about every day. Its been about a week now and nothing. I think I found my problem, maybe yours? But I guess if your problem happens at idle maybe not.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
..Changed the transmission fluid and filter and it has gone away. Before it would happen just about every day. Its been about a week now and nothing. I think I found my problem, maybe yours?
The OP has a manual tranny, not an auto.....so they're not likely the same problem.

That brings up a good point however, we could possibly use info about the vibration occuring with the clutch engaged or disengaged to help narrow the problem down to a motor or tranny/clutch related issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The OP has a manual tranny, not an auto.....so they're not likely the same problem.

That brings up a good point however, we could possibly use info about the vibration occuring with the clutch engaged or disengaged to help narrow the problem down to a motor or tranny/clutch related issue.
I missed the manual transmission. Sorry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after taking to pep boys, found out that cam lobe for cylinder #4 was worn, misfires in all cylinders (codes) and low compression in cylinder 4. they said take it back to people that adjusted the valves (Honda) which I did yesterday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts