Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

There was a group of trailer manufactures who in the late 1960's and early 1970's produced a remarkably similar looking small fiberglass travel trailer with a partial popup down the center. They rolled out of the factory weighing less than 1,000 pounds, some being around 890 lbs with a modest tongue weight. This means they are well within the capacity for the Elements to pull.

They are taller than a Tear Drop and have a popup area at the entry door that extends over aisle the kitchen area. But the ceiling height does not allow standing head room over the dinette or at the sidewall area next to the popup. The dinette area at the rear makes up into a very roomy bed. Mine creates a 6'5" X 6'5" bed. So there are advantages over a tear drop style because you can cook inside while standing up, nice big windows to look out of, good ventilation and it also has more storage and a bigger bed. It is lighter in weight than many tear drops. When towing it is not much taller than the Element and the hitch height is just right too. They are short enough to fit in a garage so there are quite a few of this type of trailer around that are still in good shape for their age.

My vintage fiberglass trailer is a 1971, Trails West Campster. There is now another horse trailer company using the name Trails West but they are not in any way associated with the fiberglass trailers that were produced in the late 1960s through the mid 1970s. Being a west coast product you are most likely to find one on the west coast either on craigslist or from the free classified at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/

You might find one that is in good original condition, one that has been remodeled, or one that is in "yet another project" condition. I have the project type, the exterior is in fair condition but it needs a total redo on the interior. Not a big issue for me since I have all the skills needed for that.

·
Registered
142 Posts

There was a group of trailer manufactures who in the late 1960's and early 1970's produced a remarkably similar looking small fiberglass travel trailer with a partial popup down the center. They rolled out of the factory weighing less than 1,000 pounds, some being around 890 lbs with a modest tongue weight. This means they are well within the capacity for the Elements to pull.

They are taller than a Tear Drop and have a popup area at the entry door that extends over aisle the kitchen area. But the ceiling height does not allow standing head room over the dinette or at the sidewall area next to the popup. The dinette area at the rear makes up into a very roomy bed. Mine creates a 6'5" X 6'5" bed. So there are advantages over a tear drop style because you can cook inside while standing up, nice big windows to look out of, good ventilation and it also has more storage and a bigger bed. It is lighter in weight than many tear drops. When towing it is not much taller than the Element and the hitch height is just right too. They are short enough to fit in a garage so there are quite a few of this type of trailer around that are still in good shape for their age.

My vintage fiberglass trailer is a 1971, Trails West Campster. There is now another horse trailer company using the name Trails West but they are not in any way associated with the fiberglass trailers that were produced in the late 1960s through the mid 1970s. Being a west coast product you are most likely to find one on the west coast either on craigslist or from the free classified at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/

You might find one that is in good original condition, one that has been remodeled, or one that is in "yet another project" condition. I have the project type, the exterior is in fair condition but it needs a total redo on the interior. Not a big issue for me since I have all the skills needed for that.

Was really keen on one of these or the similar Hunter Compact a few years ago, but it was just so hard to find one and when I did they were either priced ridiculously (in my opinion) or they would sell in a matter of a few hours. I gave up and got a 1973 Apache Mesa and it has been great, but all in all, the Element in my opinion is just too limited as a tow vehicle in terms of what it can pull so while we're keeping the Element we're going to get my wife a more powerful MDX or Pilot so we can pull an Aliner or Chalet which are in the 2,000 lbs range.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Here's mine--1988 Perris Pacer
what's the story with the wheel covers? i spent a few months down in an RV park in florida and saw some people had them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
what's the story with the wheel covers? i spent a few months down in an RV park in florida and saw some people had them.
There's a belief that it helps extend the life of the tires to reduce UV exposure and cracking from sitting still in the sun all day. there's many viewpoints on this. some swear by it, while others believe it's a snake oil product.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Brought the baby trailer back home today. I will get started on updating it this week. It will get a coordinated paint job. It will require some sweat equity for the paint and the interior redo but it will be very nice when done. When finished no one would imagine that a 45 year old trailer would be such a complimentary look to pull behind a 2006 vehicle.

As you can see by the image it has complimentary lines to the E and the height is also a nice match with a lower profile for easy towing. There is a pop up on the top which takes standing height in front of the kitchen up to 6'4" tall. The dinnette bed area makes up into a generous 6' x 6'3" size. Tows like it is not even there except that you can feel the engine work a little harder going up a hill which is of course to be expected.

On the way home we stopped off at the Tillamook Air Museum. The museum is in a huge WWII blimp hangar. That Guppy transport plane could hold a whole lot of E-campers ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
We drove past that museum on our way from Portland towards Crescent City. We regret not visiting it and, more importantly, the Tillamook Cheese Factory nearby. An aromatic area as I recall due to the high cow density!

Painting the trailer to match your Element is a cool idea, though if you ever go to sell it it might make it slightly harder to find a buyer. Keep us posted on your updates.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Awesome =) I love this stuff. Subscribed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
paint job w car xs.jpg
I never did get around to posting the photo of my vintage travel trailer with its matching paint job. Seems like a good time to do that.

·
Registered
68 Posts
View attachment 193759
I never did get around to posting the photo of my vintage travel trailer with its matching paint job. Seems like a good time to do that.
Hey you interloper!
Point these guys over to FGRV too!?!?

That looks like my first Trillium,at least color wise but mine looked more like a Football really too.

I never realized that you had an E!?

I have wanted one since Gina pulled with hers but only recently found a good one and now have a 17' Casita so.......

Good to see you here too!

Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
11 Participants
AVService-314
Honda Element Owners Club
Element Owners Club is your go to forum community to discuss your Honda Element, and get ideas from your next great trip to your next Honda Element Mod.
Full Forum Listing