Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow EOC members, I come to you today with a problem that is driving me nuts and has so far cost me over $300.00 and it's still not fixed.

I have an 03 5sp. Between 45mph and 60mph the E violently shakes to the point of me thinking that the car my come apart in some spectacular fashion. It only shakes under acceleration. If I'm accelerating and ease off the pedal the shaking stops. The second I apply the throttle, the shaking comes back. Once I pass 60mph the shaking goes away completely.

What I've done so far to fix it:
Replaced both CV Axles
Replaced the front lower motor mount that was torn
Replaced the tires 2x different brands of tires...also have had them rotated and balanced.
I've also had the alignment done.

This is all happening at the worst possible time. I'm going through a divorce and I don't have the money to keep throwing at this issue. :-(

Any suggestions or diagnosis will be appreciated!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the shaking does seem to be coming from the left front.
Symptoms remind me of inner cv problem. Did you do whole axles? Were they quality or Chinese? Maybe diff bearing where cv goes in.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
Do you feel the shaking through the steering wheel or your seat?

Is the shaking from side-to-side, up and down or forward and backward?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Seems like you've covered the obvious issues but just a shot in the dark here, have you checked the steering tie rods and ball joints? Could be that there's play in one of the components.

·
Registered
2008 Element EX AWD TRP
2,928 Posts
That eliminates the steering as the cause. . . have you checked the motor mounts?

·
Registered
95 Posts
just an idea here

The term 'sympathetic vibration' comes to my mind.

I humbly suggest that in the range 45-60, there may be a particular RPM when it is the worst.

From a narrower or specific RPM, you might be able to identify those components that may resonate at that RPM.

If the same RPM at different speed, in 1,2, or D gears, even reverse, caused the shaking, the narrower range of RPM might help diagnose a flywheel balance or similar source of the problem.

Just an idea. Suspension systems (sprung systems) can resonate.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That eliminates the steering as the cause. . . have you checked the motor mounts?
Yes. I replaced the front lower mount. It was the only one that was torn.

Hathi said:
The term 'sympathetic vibration' comes to my mind.

I humbly suggest that in the range 45-60, there may be a particular RPM when it is the worst.
It's not RPM specific. It's a speed thing 45-60 in any gear and it will shake. No worse or better in any one gear or rpm range.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Shaking is side to side and is not felt in the steering.
Seems like whomever did the alignment would've caught a suspension problem, but maybe they didn't. Up on the rack you really have to pull and tug on things to duplicate road conditions.
Ever had collision work or major disassembly of the front subframe?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I had a similar issue on a Toyota truck years ago. I changed the rims to aftermarket aluminum ones and immediately had a huge vibration in the rear. Long story short, the rear brake drums had button head screws holding them on. The aftermarket wheels didn't have provisions for the screw heads to sit in. The only reason I bring this up is you said that you'd had the tires replaced. If someone did something stupid like put screws in the holes intended to be used for jack screws, then the wheels may not be flush with the rotors. Also, if you have aftermarket rims that "had" hubcentric rings, one of them may be MIA. The Elements are prone to vibration if hubcentric rings or wheels are not used.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had a similar issue on a Toyota truck years ago. I changed the rims to aftermarket aluminum ones and immediately had a huge vibration in the rear. Long story short, the rear brake drums had button head screws holding them on. The aftermarket wheels didn't have provisions for the screw heads to sit in. The only reason I bring this up is you said that you'd had the tires replaced. If someone did something stupid like put screws in the holes intended to be used for jack screws, then the wheels may not be flush with the rotors. Also, if you have aftermarket rims that "had" hubcentric rings, one of them may be MIA. The Elements are prone to vibration if hubcentric rings or wheels are not used.
My Element is running the factory wheels. I've had the tire replaced 2x to try to solve the vibration...it started before the new tires and has continued.

·
Registered
65 Posts
"It's not RPM specific. It's a speed thing 45-60 in any gear and it will shake. No worse or better in any one gear or rpm range."

Seeing as it is roadspeed specific, that would make me think of final-drive components. Diff/axles. But there's that r&r clutch deal. Is that when it started? The clutch disk turns at transmission/roadspeed. Is the input shaft seated in the pilot bushing/bearing? (I don't know which an E has,haven't had to work on my clutch) Did you do the clutch or did you have a repair shop do the job that could possibly warranty a problem?
On a Civic that I owned, the bearing in the tranny that the input shaft goes into went bad, it didn't vibrate, but I replaced it when I heard the noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello fellow EOC members, I come to you today with a problem that is driving me nuts and has so far cost me over $300.00 and it's still not fixed.

I have an 03 5sp. Between 45mph and 60mph the E violently shakes to the point of me thinking that the car my come apart in some spectacular fashion. It only shakes under acceleration. If I'm accelerating and ease off the pedal the shaking stops. The second I apply the throttle, the shaking comes back. Once I pass 60mph the shaking goes away completely.

What I've done so far to fix it:
Replaced both CV Axles
Replaced the front lower motor mount that was torn
Replaced the tires 2x different brands of tires...also have had them rotated and balanced.
I've also had the alignment done.

This is all happening at the worst possible time. I'm going through a divorce and I don't have the money to keep throwing at this issue. :-(

Any suggestions or diagnosis will be appreciated!
I too am plagued with this problem. New tires have had no effect. I have heard from a reliable source that it is the CV joints going bad, as the same thing happened on his Cadillac Deville. We go into the shop tonite.....more to follow.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just posted the same issue. Just at 40 MPH and it does not happen all the time. Once the pedal is released and reapplied instantly it goes away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm out of the Shop and out of the woods. New inner CV bushings and new axles did the trick.:) It's solid as a rock now but it wasn't cheap. :|

1 - 19 of 19 Posts