Honda Element Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The installer wants $399 for the Viper 550 system which has the remote entry, remote starter, security system + $75 to have the option added to open only the driver side door + $35 for the transponder(?). Does this make sense & is this a good price? This electronic stuff is not my strong point. Is there other systems with the same setup to be considered. appreciate all input.

·
Registered
519 Posts
That does not sound right. Do you just want the drivers door to unlock or the drivers door unlock 1st? I do not know what transponder he is talking about though. The 550 is a very good alarm/rstart. You could go with the Viper790XV which is the same alarm + it comes with a feedback remote with lcd screen so if you are in range & your alarm goes off it will show on screen which sensor was triped. http://www.directed.com/security/viper/viper_responder.asp

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey NC-B17A! I am ignorant about this electronic stuff so please bear with me. I believe the option is to have the drivers door open only, then push again to have all the doors unlock in this way if my wife goes to the car, she won't have to open all doors to get in. The $35 (I made a mistake) is for (if I got this right) the chip to match the keys chip so that the remote starter will work.

·
Registered
141 Posts
That's too much for a viper 550. That's the price for the viper 790xv. $35 is the retail price for the key transponder interface.

That alarm is only worth $110. They are making a killing on the install and markup.

John

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The $399 includes the Viper 550 & the install. That's still high for an all in 3 system? What should be a fair price including the install for the system that a shop should charge me? I figured if I was getting the remote entry, starter & security for under $500 I'd be doing good. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I don't know what Viper model I have, I will have to check my reciept, but I paid $150 installed, but I opted not to get the model with the remote start. The alarm and keyless is great! I have had it for over a month and can't imagine how I ever got through life without keyless entry!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This model has the remote entry, remote starter & a security system. All three for $399 +. Another shop quoted $599, I thought I was getting a good price at $399.

·
Registered
519 Posts
bsanorton that makes sence now. That is cheap for the oem transponder interface. I was not even thinking of the chip in the key I was thinking of an alarm addon. We charge about 75.00 installed for that so 35.00 installed is cheap.
That is a fair price for what you are getting.

1kewlelement you have no idea what you are talking about. Store cost on the 550 is more then 110.00 & yes the majority of the money in an alarm is the labor. The retail on the 550 w/o install is about 229.00 & that is one item you do not want just slaped in.
Also with
They are making a killing on the install and markup.
shops have to pay for rent & pay installers (& we don't come cheap) ,installers have to have tools (Sears,Snap On,Matco love us) & training.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NC-B17A - Thank you very much for your input. As you can see by my ID, my talents are in older motorcycles, not in electronics. I never mind paying for a job well done as long as I'm not milked on the price of the parts. So far I haven't found it cheaper anywhere else in my local area & this installer was recomended.

·
Registered
519 Posts
bsanorton where are you located? If you have a Tweeter or Tweeter owned store near you I "might" be able to save you a few dollars.

·
Registered
141 Posts
NC-b17A,
1kewlelement you have no idea what you are talking about. Store cost on the 550 is more then 110.00 & yes the majority of the money in an alarm is the labor. The retail on the 550 w/o install is about 229.00 & that is one item you do not want just slaped in.
I used to own a business for car audio and alarms. Also, I have been installing alarms and systems since the mid 80's. I know all the cost and wholesale prices on all the alarms and systems. So, don't tell me that I do not know and that I do not now what I'm talking about.

The viper 550 is overrated and has one of the worst ranges. Directed Electronics Inc., AKA DEI, makes the alarms for viper, clifford, etc. That alarm with those fuctions retail here (installed for under $300). Again, don't tell me I do not know what I am talking about.

Your cost also depends on the volume that you generate and if you are an authorized dealer for certain brands.

I post here to inform people and help them save $$. I have nothing to gain by giving out information. You, on the other hand sounds like a retailer and trying to make $$ on every chance you get.

I can school you on all the markups on car audio electronics but then again, your ignorance in your post just shows your knowledge level with cost and wholesale prices in car audios and alarms.

I suggest that you learn to be more subtle with you comments and try not to offend peopel when they are trying to help others save $$.

Get off your high horse and try to help people in forums buy teaching them how to get things cheaper than retail rather than making $$ off of them.

You can buy the viper 550 for under $200 retail on line.
The viper 790 XV, installed, is $399 (retail). Cost of this alarms is under $200. I called my buddies that own shops here in Phoenix and verified this. This just proves that you can still wheel and deal with the $399 price.
$18 is the wholesale, not cost, price for the Universal alarm bypass module.
Cost for a dealer would be a lot cheaper.

I know a lot of people that will install that alarm here for $80 with the remote start features and door locks.

John

·
Registered
96 Posts
I go the Viper 350 HV for $168 installed.. All i wanted was the remoteless entry and didn't like the idea of paying $110 for the honda one. SO i figure i get the sense of security with the alarm... The place I went even tinted my sunroof for free.. So i think i got a good deal.. Or atleast I feel like I did....

·
Registered
519 Posts
1kewlelement
Retail on the 790 is 499.99 & the 550 is 399.99 installed.
You school me on car audio. :roll:
I am the install Mgr for Tweeter in Birmingham, Al. & with 150+ stores I think I know what cost is.
As far as your "buddy" well you can sell product for what ever price he wants. & if you take off stuff you can do the labor cheaper.
All I did was tell bsanorton that the price he got was fair. You might be able to get a cheaper price.
But you have to remember that the cheapest price may not be the best deal.
& he said that the installer he was talking to comes with a good recomendation which is worth alot.
You used to own a car audio shop? I do not mean offence but I cringe when I hear that because most of the time I hear that it was a hole in the wall place that lasted a cpl of yrs then just faded away. I am not saying that is your case just what I have experenced.
I just have to ask but what do you do now?
I do not want to argue with you. So I will play nice & quit. :) truce?

·
Registered
519 Posts
MrCLoWnY you got a great price & if it is a good install & you don't have problems then you got a great deal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
[quote:b2fe76fd94="NC-B17A"]MrCLoWnY you got a great price & if it is a good install & you don't have problems then you got a great deal.[/quote:b2fe76fd94]

Thanks... I appreciate your comment.. I feel really good about my alarm now... = )

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NC-B17A - Thanks again for posting. I didn't mean for this thread to get out of hand! I do have a Tweeter near me just cross the border in PA (I live in Lawrenceville, NJ close to Trenton & Princeton) . Can you estimate what they might charge me for the setup I'm looking for? I can use this as a comparison to the local shop I might be using. I agree, I like to go somewhere that's recomended, I was quoted $599 for the same setup from a shop right down the street! I apologize for any bad feelings to all, please lets lighten up!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Have you guys tried bargaining at all?

·
Registered
141 Posts
NC-B17A,

Truce it is.

I am a LAN/WAN Engineer and Manager. I also have a Computer consulting firm (LAN/WAN, WEB, Develepment/Programming, Phone, etc.). I several business contracted throughout the AZ, NV, CO, CA an NM.

My partner and I gave up the Car Audio and went our seperate ways. We also did the IASCA car shows back then. Car Audio and Video is more of hobby for me now and found out that I like working on computers and computer related issues a whole lot more.

I am still very well connected with a lot of the businesses throughout the state.

I do understand what you are saying. I guess I was just looking at things on my point of view. The businesses that I am talking about here in Phoenix are not mom and pop shops. They are authorized retailers and are very well known.

Again, TRUCE and no more offense taken and will be given.
:D

John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts