Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

LOML took my 2003 in for the annual safety inspection today and they rejected her saying the brake disks were worn below the minimum. I found this odd as I'm on the original pads and have never in 30+ years of driving worn out a set of discs before the pads. I've got 100K miles on the car but most of that mileage is highway.

So my son and I took the wheels off and measured the rotors and they are well within the dimensions printed in the service manual. As a matter of fact they aren't far off the maximum dimension printed in he manual. The pads will need to be replaced in the not too distant future, but the rotors looked good. The fronts measured ~.890 (minimum cleanup is .83") and the rears measured ~ .345 (minimum cleanup is .300)

I went looking for the regulations regarding inspections and thy are governed by what is known as the "Official Inspection Manual". Unfortunately I could not find this resource anywhere. Can't say that I'm surprised.

Do you have any idea where I could find the "Official Inspection Manual"? What is the proper course of action here? Do I go to the inspection station and ask to see the measurements and the regulations?

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
While the entire 'official safety inspection manual' isn't available online the section you're questioning is.

19VAC30-70-80. Service brakes.

Brake Linings and Disc Pads
3. Riveted linings or disc pads are worn to less than 2/32 of an inch over the rivet head(s).
4. Bonded or molded linings or disc pads are worn to less than 2/32 of an inch in thickness .
5. Wire in wire-backed lining is visible in friction surface.
6. Snap-on brake linings are loose.
7. Any lining is broken or cracked so that lining or parts of lining are not firmly attached to the shoe or has cracks on the friction surface extending to the open edge.
8. Grease or other contamination cannot be satisfactorily removed from the lining, drums, or rotors.
9. Rivets in riveted linings are loose or missing.
10. Any lining or pad is misaligned or does not make full contact with the drum or rotor.

Brake Drums and Discs
11. Brake drums or brake discs (rotors) are worn or scored to the extent that their remachining would result in a failure to meet manufacturer's specifications.

12. Brake drums or discs have any external crack or cracks more than one half the width of the friction surface of the drum or disc. NOTE: Do not confuse short hairline heat cracks with flexural cracks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. Thanks for the information. I was curious if there was an absolute minimum called out in the regs.

Now, I guess I get to have an interesting conversation with the inspection company.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Are they a service center also? If so I wonder if they were trying to sell you a brake job.:roll:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Miscommunication...??

Hi all,

LOML took my 2003 in for the annual safety inspection today and they rejected her saying the brake disks were worn below the minimum.

The pads will need to be replaced in the not too distant future, but the rotors looked good.

Thanks,
Any chance that there was a miscommunication?? Perhaps, since the pads are close, they meant the pads, not the discs??

Just a thought. Particularly based on your own findings.... Keep us posted.

·
EOC Rank: Crankypants
14,898 Posts
OP said it was the disks, not the pads, that were questioned, in which case the key item is "Brake drums or brake discs (rotors) are worn or scored to the extent that their remachining would result in a failure to meet manufacturer's specifications."

The shop didn't say the disks were scored and had to be machined, but if that were the case, they would need to cite the specs.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are they a service center also? If so I wonder if they were trying to sell you a brake job.:roll:
Yes they are a full service center and yes they magnanimously offered to redo the brakes for about $400/end. And yes the report specifically says disks/drums. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to ask specifically what the measurements were. In any event I've got another inspection center that I will get it inspected on Friday.

Thanks to all who replied.....

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes they are a full service center and yes they magnanimously offered to redo the brakes for about $400/end. And yes the report specifically says disks/drums. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow to ask specifically what the measurements were. In any event I've got another inspection center that I will get it inspected on Friday.

Thanks to all who replied.....
In the state of Virginia you have a right, as a consumer, to call the Virginia State Police and register a complaint against the inspection station in question. The Va. State Police govern all licensed inspection stations in the state. They investigate every single complaint. If an inspection station receives enough legitimate complaints from consumers the state will revoke the license. The Va. State Police also randomly visit inspection stations as "secret shoppers" presenting themselves with vehicles that do or do not have discrepancies to test the knowledge / honesty of the person performing the inspection. Just a little nice to know information.:grin:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wow... your end of VA does real inspections. Down on my end of the state as long as the lights work and it stops when you pull into the garage you'll get a sticker.

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, firstly let me thank all who provided information, especially "bh241".

I called the center Friday morning to get further information on the failure. Tom, the manager I guess made a condescending remark about well off course it's going to fail with brake pads which are below 2/32". The sheet indicates the reason for failure is for rotors/drums. He says, well that is true as well.

Okay, that's useful information. I then ask for the actual readings and the minimum dimensions he closes the call with a discourse about how the State of Virginia has different numbers than the manufacturers. He calls back and tells me the numbers are as follows:

Front Minimum 0.870 Actual 0.830
Rears Minimum 0.340 Actual 0.300

H'mmm, I say. In my service manual, it gives the minimums as .830/.300 and the actuals I measured are about the same as the minimums you state. Is it possible you transposed the numbers, I ask. Tom's tone changes quite a bit and says, it's possible. He calls back and yes, they transposed the numbers. So the front pads have to be replaced but not the rotors.

So I change out the pads yesterday and bring it back and it passes with flying colors. And nobody says a word about it, until I was walking out. Oh, buy the way, you folks lost a customer. The cashier, who was not involved, asks why. I give him a quick rundown and his responses was "well I'm sorry you were inconvenienced.". No effort whatsoever to try to win back a customer. Just as well as I wasn't interested.

Thanks again to all who opined....

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I think all the people at the inspection stations go to the same school! :x

They pull the same thing in this state! I have called them out on it twice in the past 4 years. I went out to the parking lot Jacked up the car ( with the rejection sticker that they charged me 25$ for ) and broke out a digital caliper. Proved to the Inspection station that they were well within spec. They tried to charge me another 25$ for the new sticker. After a talk with the owner of the station, they replaced the sticker for free!

I think they need more than a hand slap, when they pull this crap.

Dom

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think all the people at the inspection stations go to the same school! :x

They pull the same thing in this state! I have called them out on it twice in the past 4 years. I went out to the parking lot Jacked up the car ( with the rejection sticker that they charged me 25$ for ) and broke out a digital caliper. Proved to the Inspection station that they were well within spec. They tried to charge me another 25$ for the new sticker. After a talk with the owner of the station, they replaced the sticker for free!

I think they need more than a hand slap, when they pull this crap.

Dom
I concur with more than a "hand slap" Dom. The inspection stations need to be above board with the inspection criteria. In Virginia, as I mentioned, they do not play (at least in the Tidewater area). The Inspection Stations can get stupid work by just being honest because after all, 70% of the people put their faith and trust in the Inspectors.
The most important things about these inspections is that they are "Safety" inspections.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts