Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wondering if it is possible to put a voltage gauge on the Honda Element. I was wondering how I would go about hooking it up and where would a good place to purchase it. I am not looking to spend a lot of money hopefully less than $50. Thanks.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,699 Posts
Scan Gauge plug in and play more info and can clear codes

·
Registered
622 Posts
with the stock setup, the voltage reading at the 12v outlet(12.1) on my element was very low compared to the reading at the battery posts(12.5). has anyone else noticed this large of a voltage drop at the cig plugs on their honda element ?

i decided to rewire all stock 12v outlets to my aux battery and now i have zero voltage drop. i also wired in 2 drok 5 digit voltmeters i bought from amazon, one for each battery. it is interesting to see the voltage output fluctuations of these modern alternators. so much more different from the old school alternator output set points i am used to.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,699 Posts
with the stock setup, the voltage reading at the 12v outlet(12.1) on my element was very low compared to the reading at the battery posts(12.5). has anyone else noticed this large of a voltage drop at the cig plugs on their honda element ?

i decided to rewire all stock 12v outlets to my aux battery and now i have zero voltage drop. i also wired in 2 drok 5 digit voltmeters i bought from amazon, one for each battery. it is interesting to see the voltage output fluctuations of these modern alternators. so much more different from the old school alternator output set points i am used to.
Agree!! I've seen battery voltage go low as 12.3 at idle or driving for no reason. Has been like this since brand new, has to do with the ELD.

Check this link, for a description of how it works.
http://www.gonzostoolbox.com/KnowledgeFolder/HondaELD.html

·
Registered
622 Posts
i have read a bunch on the subject already and I can see the benefit of the modern output design. it's kind of neat.

what i don't like is the voltage drop at the cig plugs compared to the battery posts when the car is not running. with all the modern technological improvements on modern vehicles, something as simple as voltage drop through wire harnesses, are still very present. it's not even a little voltage drop either....0.5-0.6 volts is a huge drop. i'm curious if maybe it is something with my vehicle only because i haven't read of anyone here noticing something similar.

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,699 Posts
i have read a bunch on the subject already and I can see the benefit of the modern output design. it's kind of neat.

what i don't like is the voltage drop at the cig plugs compared to the battery posts when the car is not running. with all the modern technological improvements on modern vehicles, something as simple as voltage drop through wire harnesses, are still very present. it's not even a little voltage drop either....0.5-0.6 volts is a huge drop. i'm curious if maybe it is something with my vehicle only because i haven't read of anyone here noticing something similar.
A .5 volt drop is not a lot considering all the connections/relays/wire to the power ports. If it really bugs ya run new wire direct to the port. Really a mute point because the ports are only rated for 10a.

·
Registered
622 Posts
yeah, 0.5 doesn't sound like much but when your voltage cutoff is at 11.2 for your 12volt compressor fridge, 0.5 is huge. it's the difference between safe food to eat and food poisoning. you are right though, so many connections and relays. a simple use of larger awg wire will remove voltage drop if honda wanted. it does bug me that's why i just rewired it to my aux battery, .25% voltage drop now. that's pretty much zero. i cannot have any energy lost to voltage drop. anyway, i agree about it not being important for most users because they only use it to charge a phone or something. have you ever measured the difference at the cig plug vs battery posts on your element?

·
Registered
07 2wd 5-speedauto
1,699 Posts
yeah, 0.5 doesn't sound like much but when your voltage cutoff is at 11.2 for your 12volt compressor fridge, 0.5 is huge. it's the difference between safe food to eat and food poisoning. you are right though, so many connections and relays. a simple use of larger awg wire will remove voltage drop if honda wanted. it does bug me that's why i just rewired it to my aux battery, .25% voltage drop now. that's pretty much zero. i cannot have any energy lost to voltage drop. anyway, i agree about it not being important for most users because they only use it to charge a phone or something. have you ever measured the difference at the cig plug vs battery posts on your element?
I've done voltage drops on many circuits, just never a power port. If your running a fridge on a power port, I would recommend changing over to an Anderson type connector and running a new fused circuit with 12 or 10 ga wire depending on how much current the fridge draws. Those power ports & small ga wire are not designed to carry a constant 10 amps. You risk overheating and possible fire.

Anderson type:
https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power-powerpole-sb-connectors?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term={keyword_text}&utm_campaign=Anderson+-+BMM&utm_adgroup=Anderson+Connectors&mkwid=s6RwLF6fa_dc&pcrid={creative}&plc={placement}&pkw=anderson%20connectors&pmt|=p

·
Registered
622 Posts
the cig plug is what comes with the fridge and it is the plug i use in emergencies like if i needed to move over to a different vehicle. i created my own plug wired directly to my fuse block but those anderson power poles are nice. im using one as a quick connect jumper cable for my batteries in emergencies. used them on my old yota warn winch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts