Honda Element Owners Club banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to post a note about the VSA / ABS Module going bad.

I had the light for this come on about a year ago, and a Honda dealer said that the module was bad, and should be replaced. The estimate was pushing $2,000.

We put off the repair because of the price.

A couple weeks ago, a friend of a friend offered to help. He is a mechanic and just curious about new car problems to solve. Ultimately, we picked up a VSA/ABS module on eBay for $110. Time for the install was around an hour including bleeding the brakes.

On installation, the lights on the days went off :) . We still need to get the steering sensor rezero-ed, but are happy to not see the lights on the dashboard.

We also checked into re-manufactured modules as well. These would be a bit more expensive (in the $400), but still significantly cheaper than the dealer solution.

The service manual for this repair is available online, so most mechanics should be able to manage.

I am unsure if a Honda Dealer's service department would do anything different than your trusted mechanic, but I am guessing that they wouldn't offer to use a remanufactured or used part.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to post a note about the VSA / ABS Module going bad.

I had the light for this come on about a year ago, and a Honda dealer said that the module was bad, and should be replaced. The estimate was pushing $2,000.

We put off the repair because of the price.

A couple weeks ago, a friend of a friend offered to help. He is a mechanic and just curious about new car problems to solve. Ultimately, we picked up a VSA/ABS module on eBay for $110. Time for the install was around an hour including bleeding the brakes.

On installation, the lights on the days went off :) . We still need to get the steering sensor rezero-ed, but are happy to not see the lights on the dashboard.

We also checked into re-manufactured modules as well. These would be a bit more expensive (in the $400), but still significantly cheaper than the dealer solution.

The service manual for this repair is available online, so most mechanics should be able to manage.

I am unsure if a Honda Dealer's service department would do anything different than your trusted mechanic, but I am guessing that they wouldn't offer to use a remanufactured or used part.
Thank you for this. We just found out that same module went out on my gf's 2010 Acura TSX. Dealer wants $2860 for the part and $650 for labor. Going to try to replace it myself as it doesn't look too difficult to do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts